Moving in May, anyone else

TheFilanders

Hi

We are moving at the end of May and I was just wondering should we get a furnished rental or not (and oh boy is it expensive) and for how longwill we be able to get th the kids ?

Also will we be able to get the kids into a school in the catchment area in the meantime or should we wait until we have jobs and then decide?

Anyone who made the move recently please share your experience and older members who have been through this your input is always valued, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie

Hi there, where are you headed. I am moving to Canberra on the 23rd of May and Have some links sent to me by various organisations there. If you are headed in that direction then PM me and I will happily share. Obviously, no point if you are going elsewhere :whome: BTW...good luck for wherever you go!

• Like 1

HI, can only speak from my experience, so here goes!

Furnished rental - These can be really pricey. You don't want to do this for more than a few weeks.I don;t know how difficult it is to get rentals these days in Perth (depending on area), so how long you use a furnished rental is a bit of a gamble. Anyone who has moved over recently might be able to provide some better info. You could also try looking for an unfurnished anyway, since you can rent all your furniture. Yep, you can rent everything from a bed to a fridge to a washing machine to a digital radio. Plus, we have an outpost of that mecca of low-cost furniture - IKEA! ;), Kmart for low-cost kitchen stuff. Plus, I'm sure there are people on this forum with things that we could help you with. Feel free to ask.

Schools - you may want to decide on schools before you decide where you'd like to live. This doesn't have a whole lot to do with jobs, although you don't want to be commuting from, say, Joondalup to Fremantle/Kwinana every day, but most of the time you may end up travelling at least 30 min to 1 hr. Public schools are subject to catchment, so getting into the really good ones, eg. Rossmoyne, Churchlands, Woodvale, etc would mean moving into one of the catchment suburbs. Private schools are not subject to catchment but you want the school to be fairly close to home or close to work. There are some good private schools both NOR and SOR, that are't too pricey. If you're likely to be working in the CBD, then living in a radius of about 20-40 kms from the CBD is not unreasonable. Public transport is pretty decent, despite the whinging you may hear from a lot of Aussies in Perth. We who come from near-zero public transport think otherwise! :)

I would suggest, if you're willing to try it, go for a rental that is not too big or expensive to look after, to start with. A six-month rental is possible, by which time you may have a better idea of where you'd like to live, etc. Even if you do a one-year lease, a year passes pretty quickly. Especially since you're not coming with jobs already in the bag, you may want to keep initial expenses down.

Hope that was of some help!

Hey there Leslie

Here's my 98 cents for what's it's worth.

We are moving at the end of May and I was just wondering should we get a furnished rental or not (and oh boy is it expensive) and for how long will we be able to get the the kids ?

Furnished rentals are expensive no matter where you go. We were really lucky to find a place that cost about the same as what our permanent rental costs. Try using www.stayz.com.au that's here we found ours. It really helps to have all those things like dishes, pots, pans, cutlery and crockery in the first few weeks. You don't need the stress of trying to cope with the move and surviving on the bare minimum at the same time.

Also will we be able to get the kids into a school in the catchment area in the meantime or should we wait until we have jobs and then decide?

There are apparently two types of state schools, those that have strict catchment areas and those that don't. We initially thought we would put Jessie into a school in Maroochydore but were warned against all the schools in the area because of the fact that they don't stick to the catchment areas. They will take anyone because their numbers are low. Which means you get a good mix of nice kids with ferals. The schools that stick to the catchment areas are usually the good schools and are in new and developing areas with a high growth rate.

Find a school that you are happy with and then speak to the principal and find out what the catchment area is and find a rental there. That's what we did and although Jessie missed the first week of the second term it really does not make a difference. Your kids will have already missed the first 2 terms and the school will help them wherever the need it anyway.

Good luck with the planning and the move. It's been a long time coming and you guys must be excited.

Thanks for the reponse guys, much appreciated.

We managed to get a furnished rental for 2 months (SOR). I'm a bit concerned that its too long taking into consideration that the kids need to be enrolled in school. We have identified certain schools but the current rental is not in the catchment area.

We may have to enrol into a school for the rest year and when we a longterm rental put them into another school. It is not ideal but I don't know if we have any other options. Private school with 3 kids is a no go while we are unemployed.