Looking for a cheap but reliable second hand car

GillK

Anyone have some tips / referrals on buying a car after relocating to Canberra?

Gosh, when did you land? The last post of yours I saw you were still in RSA.

I would just go round some local car yards. I think on your previous post I posted a link to http://www.carsales.com.au/?mkwid=s9hubmRxm&pcrid=11556301806&pmt=b&pkw=used%20cars%20sale&plc=&gclid=CKiDzfnUzrYCFQpgpQodLxQAxg

Use it to get an idea of the price of used cars and then go into a dealership knowing what you should pay for a particular model

GillK hasnt landed yet - nearer the end of the month.

My present car is from www.lennock.com.au in Phillip. They are very professional and a pleasure to deal with. Melrose Drive in Phillip has plenty of used car dealers, if you want to venture further out then Fyshwick will have even more to chose. If you want to go the auction way - which is how we buy our utes for our business - then Pickles Auctions in Fyshwick is very good.

Thanks ladies - will definitely check these out!!! Yes, landing on 30th April but trying to get my ducks in a row :)

What sort of price are you looking at? I could maybe help with makes/models to look out for...

Thanks HansaPlease - I am looking at around $9000 - I like Hyundai i20 but would be keen on your recommendations :)

Thanks HansaPlease - I am looking at around $9000 - I like Hyundai i20 but would be keen on your recommendations :)

I can't comment on buying a car in Australia but I used our company's pool car which was a Hyundai i20 and loved the car. I would love to own one when we get to Australia but we're going to be looking at much cheaper options. What i would call 5th or 6th hand. We're nervous to spend our cash :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with an i20 if it's big enough for you. You'll still get a few years on the warranty if it's been serviced correctly. I don't think I'd choose another small car for that price range.

Personally I would steer clear of auctions, you could get some great bargains, too much of a gamble (well, more of a gamble than dealers anyway).

• Like 1

GillK, we just bought a Hyundai Getz 1.4i from an appproved dealer here in Queensland, 2011 model with 18000km - almost brand new with 3 year warranty remaining for $9930 drive out, personally I dont think you will get a i20 for $9000 unless it has huge milage, if you go for a Hyundai try and get one with low K's because the Korean cars are not as good as japanese especially the older generation models.

• Like 2

GillK, we just bought a Hyundai Getz 1.4i from an appproved dealer here in Queensland, 2011 model with 18000km - almost brand new with 3 year warranty remaining for $9930 drive out, personally I dont think you will get a i20 for $9000 unless it has huge milage, if you go for a Hyundai try and get one with low K's because the Korean cars are not as good as japanese especially the older generation models.

There are a few examples of i20's on Carsales with 15 to 20k on the clock for under $10k. You're right, they're not common, but personally I'd stretch a little more and buy an i20 than a Getz - far newer technology and a better, safer (5 star ANCAP) car all round. The 1.2 is a little gutless, but nobody buys a small hatch for the performance.

There don't seem to be any Japanese cars under $10k that are as young as the i20 - except the Nissan Tiida, which is rubbish. A few Toyota's (Yaris, Echo) but again, high mileage and no or little remaining warranty.

• Like 1

I also dont believe you will find an i20 in that price range. We looked for one when I still drove the Getz. I understand where Hansa is coming from about auctions - but we personally have never had a problem.

Can I just add my 2c - please please please chose a car with a good safety rating - Canberra is known as the bush capital for a reason, we are surrounded my beautiful bush land - these nature parks camoflage (spelling) most suburbs - well in the South anyway - and many roos live here. They are very active at night - it is normal to see at least one dead roo every morning on the Parkway.

Lyn is right, and the ANCAP safety ratings are highly regarded.....that said, without looking at them have you thought of a holden barina or the like if you are going to be mainly driving in the city.......prices should be pretty good.

• Like 1

Hi AndreaL - I have not looked at Holden - just because I've never heard of them before :) - will take a look thanks

Holden is like GM (General Motors) in SA and the cars are similar to the Chevrolet cars in SA.

• Like 1

Holden is like GM (General Motors) in SA and the cars are similar to the Chevrolet cars in SA.

Actually like Opels if you are talking about the smaller ones .... otherwise, you are correct.

Holden Barina = Opel Corsa

Holden Astra = Opel Astra (Surprised you there) ;)

If you are interested in the Hyundai, why not look at the Kia? Much the same technology - same factory (I believe) and a bit cheaper - Mrs Dik has a Rio and it's a great little car .....

• Like 1

I think they are much the same in price for the new models, not sure how they differ in resale value, but the smallest i20 is around $13 900 and the Kia Rio is about $13 600.

In any event, you should be able to get a little run around like a getz or something at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Holden Barina = Opel Corsa

Depends which Barina you're talking about. The last time a Barina was a Corsa was 2 generations ago, around the early 2000's.. The current Barina is actually a Chevrolet Aveo/Spark which is only slightly better than the precious generation which was a Daewoo Kalos.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole ;)

• Like 2

Depends which Barina you're talking about. The last time a Barina was a Corsa was 2 generations ago, around the early 2000's.. The current Barina is actually a Chevrolet Aveo/Spark which is only slightly better than the precious generation which was a Daewoo Kalos.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole ;)

Sorry haven't seen a Corsa between 2003 - 2009 and and again from 2009 - present.

Apologies.

• Like 1

I think they are much the same in price for the new models, not sure how they differ in resale value, but the smallest i20 is around $13 900 and the Kia Rio is about $13 600.

In any event, you should be able to get a little run around like a getz or something at a reasonable price.

Sorry, I seem to always be getting special offers for Kia - maybe because the wife has one.

• Like 1