(Hopefully:) Useful tips and resources for 190 applicants

claudiodr

I don't feel like working this morning so thought I'd pull a post together offering you info and tips for a 190 SS application.

I've not completed the application and don't profess to be an expert, these are simply my opinions, suggestions and recommendations - If this helps anyone even a bit then I'm happy.

I am using an agent and what I'd say is if you can afford it, do it! Can it be done without an agent, probably; however there are many pitfalls, the process is hugely time consuming and stressful and if you need to focus on work, selling houses, ordering shipping containers then I believe it's worth the money. I'm not going to recommend agents here, there are a number of posts on this topic so have a look around

Step 1 - Collating doc's

Below is a list of documents I collated, copied and certified (this is a massive pain in the @rse so prepare yourself for the slog!)

• Passport – Main applicant
  • Passport – Spouse / Dependents
  • Passport photos for both
  • Previous Employer Reference letters
  • Previous Employer Employment contracts
  • Previous Employer Confirmation of resignation (dated)
  • Last 4 payslips from Previous Employers
  • Previous Employer P60 tax documents (UK)
  • Current Employer Reference letter
  • Current Employer Employment contract
  • My last 4 payslips from Current Employer
  • Current Employer Pension Plan letter (or other similar documents)
  • Unabridged birth certificate
  • Unabridged marriage certificate
  • Qualification – Certificate/Diploma/Degree
  • Confirmation of graduation letter (confirming study in English)
  • Complete Academic record
  • International Qualifications letter

Step 2 - IELTS test

PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE! This test is not easy (and I am an English, first language speaker). Check out the training materials on the IELTS website.

If you go in prepared then you have no reason to stress, so my final tip is take deep breaths and stay calm. Don't get into your own head and don't over-think it!

Step 3 - Skills assessment

Ah, the dreaded skills assessment! I went through VETASSESS and received a negative first assessment, I then changed my occupation and my re-assessment came back positive in less than 2 days! What the process taught me:

• Make sure that prior to requesting reference letters and polishing up your CV that you go to the Aus Bureau of Statistics website and read through the Indicative Skill Levels and Tasks for your occupation. This should form the foundation of what is in the references and CV. You cannot copy the information word for word but ensure you adapt what your roles and responsibilities are to the specific requirements on ABS. I did this second time round and my positive assessment happened in days! If you're on good terms with your old bosses, ask them to read the ABS website before writing the reference and ask them to base the letter on those tasks.
  • If you've not heard back in 12 weeks (from when they receive the hard copies, not online app unfortunately!) then call them! I did (after 16 weeks!) and they were super friendly and helpful and it was the lady there that actually recommended I change my occupation!
  • If you do need a reassessment, ask for the same assessing officer, it fast tracked my application.

Step 4 - State Sponsorship / EOI

Here my agent basically did everything for me. The only thing I'd say is do LOADS of research of the State you're applying to. For ACT I needed a Commitment letter (attached), this is your opportunity to show that you're interested, that you've read up on the areas and would fit well in the community.

GOOGLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND, but some other good research tools to help you start include:

Well that's about all I can comment on as I've only just submitted my SS application. Other suggestions, some of which have no basis on any experience or concrete facts would be:

• Hound your agent, this is your right! If you're not on top of him/her then someone else is and they're getting the best possible service whilst you hang around your mobile pulling your hair out!
  • Engage with people on SAAustralia, this is the best resource I've ever found and everyone wants to help! Likewise, don't be a Lurker, help people, give advice, show support and generally share the love;-) We're in this together, come hell or high water!
  • Don't give up - Nothing worth having comes easy so just keep persevering and you'll find a solution to any problem (unless you're an international arms dealer or you've murdered someone...). No problem is unique, someone on this forum has been through it, just ask for help

Right, I may as well do some work now...hope this is somewhat useful to people entering the process

GOOD LUCK

C

WA Relocation Costs and Budget - Updated 11.04.13.xls

Commitment to Canberra Draft.doc

Edited by claudiodr
  • Like 7

An excellent all-in-one resource that should be made a sticky for new applicants. Nice 'work' Claudio ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info claudiodr!

We are also busy applying for 190 SS visa for Canberra through an agent. (We didn't even entertain the idea of doing it on our own.) Just got an email to say that our skills assessment application has been submitted today. Phew! And now we wait... and gather and compile more documents!

So I'll be following you around on the forum, picking up whatever tips I can.

Thanks again.

Hi.

For which part of the application did you need all the old payslips? I haven't been asked for these..just wondering if it's something that has been overlooked from my side?

Thanks for the info claudiodr!

We are also busy applying for 190 SS visa for Canberra through an agent. (We didn't even entertain the idea of doing it on our own.) Just got an email to say that our skills assessment application has been submitted today. Phew! And now we wait... and gather and compile more documents!

So I'll be following you around on the forum, picking up whatever tips I can.

Thanks again.

Good luck Mandy, the Skills Assessment really is the worst part of the process!

Hi.

For which part of the application did you need all the old payslips? I haven't been asked for these..just wondering if it's something that has been overlooked from my side?

I believe they were used as supporting evidence for the skills assessment through VETASSESS.

Hi.

Payslips or any other form of proof of paid employment are required by some assessing authorities to assess your experience as it indicates that the job you did was paid work ie you were qualified to do it and you were not just an intern or casual employee and also that you're not making it up.

You will also need these again at the time of applying for your visa as DIAC want to see all of this to match up to your claimed work experience points. In my case, I am only claiming one year as I don't need extra points, so it's just a year's payslips from my current job (IRP5s are obviously much easier but are only available at the end of the company's financial year).

Hi.

Hi

You need payslips and the corresponding bank statement to prove the years of employment that you are claiming, for both your skills assessment and to support the points claimed in your visa application. IRP5s, contracts, certificates of service etc also help prove employment. I submitted 1 payslip and bank statement per year with all the IRP5s.

• Like 1

Excellent post! The Southern Australia state sponsorship process was a bit less demanding. They wanted to know our reasons for selecting SA in 200 words or less. I found it quite difficult to be that brief!

• Like 1

I have to agree on the agent. We missed June 2012 cut-off due to something we missed and a agent would have told us.

Thus far, we have also wasted close to a year, on and of with small things we had to do, and just did not get round to doing them.

Budget is similar to what we anticipate.

Good post.

• Like 1

Thanks so much claudiodr. Especially for the info regarding the IELTS and skills assessment. I also have to go through vet assess (i'm an internal auditor) and am dreading it!

Thanks so much claudiodr. Especially for the info regarding the IELTS and skills assessment. I also have to go through vet assess (i'm an internal auditor) and am dreading it!

My pleasure. Yup, prob the two worst elements, IELTS is stressful but at least you have your results in 2 weeks...Skills Assessment's wait is a killer! Just remember we've all gone through it!

Good luck;-)

Great post Claudiodr. Thank you for the time taken to put this together. This is sure to help many.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing your process - great to see that you succeeded in the end

• Like 1