Newby - Looking for advice

Christie

I have posted a similar post elsewhere on this forum, but think this might be more appropriate.

My husband and I are currently living in the UK - originally from Pretoria and have lived in Sydney before moving to UK. We have Australian citizenship, so working in Australia is not a problem. We really want to live in Australia and looking to move back, but have the issue of not having a job to go to.

When we moved countries before it was my husband's job that made it possible and we were able to get transfers within the company, but now it is not possible as he's not working for a global company. He contacted the companies he worked before, but they don't have any work at this stage.

I would like to know how the job market is at the moment in Australia. Also what do other people do when deciding to move countries. Do you just go or do you try to find a job before arriving? We have contacted agencies, but they don't seem to be interested in helping when they realise we're not in the country.

Both my husband and I are in IT. Is it possible to get a job while not living in the country or is it better to just go? What did you do? Would you have done it differently?

Thanks.

It certainly is harder to secure a job if you are not onshore, but not impossible, especially as you have citizenship and Australian experience, but I do think it is easier on shore. That said, I am noticing on this forum that I.T. jobs seem to be harder to get at the moment, so I am not sure if that is because the market is saturated or because we are close to the end of financial year, or because of the upcoming election.

We came on a 457 so I can't offer advice from your perspective. Do you still have connections at the conpanies previously worked at in Sydney? If so I would be contacting them to try and get a feel for the market at the moment.

Hi there

Since you have PR for Australia, I would go a different way.

Try to secure a job that is close to what you are doing, get there and then you have a job with income, and you can serch for the job you have.

I am Boilermaker and is getting there for my trade but when I get there I will look for either a Draughting position or Project Manager position.

I have the qualifications and experience but I took the route that is faster and easier.

Don't know if this is helpfull but that is my take on things.