Visited Canberra...and.....LOVED IT!

Usha

Just wanting to share.....

I was in Canberra from 16 to 24 March and had a lovely time checking out the place. I must admit that i had my reservations but it is indeed the perfect place to raise kids. It was not congested and rushed like Sydney. There is so much open spaces, great for walks and driving around was not intimidating at all.

Visited both North and South and my preference is for the North as we liked the style of the housing and layout of the areas. Especially liked Gungahlin, Forde and Amaroo. But i think whereever we end up up we would like it.

We stayed at Tea Gardens B&B (recommended by ShazPaz) - definitely worth it, the owner has thought about everything to make the stay pleasant and comfortable, and was welcoming, helpful and friendly too.

I had one night where i was feeling really down, i hated having to be placed in a situation where i have to consider moving countries because our government is just not delivering. I was sad that i have to leave everything and everyone i know behind in SA just to give my kids a shot at a better future. but as the days went on i came to a realisation that I had to do it for them and that Canberra truly has a family friendly environment.

I loved the warm and friendly service we received whereever we went. Opened up an account with the bank (easy peezy) and quite enjoyed walking about the Westfield shopping centre on a Friday evening.

visited the parliament house on the day that the forced adoption apology was given and even had the prime minister walk past us. We were just amazed that it was so casual, there was no army of security guards around her and i was surprised that visitors were let in during the days events.....if it were here in SA we would have had the streets leading up to the event closed off to the public. anyway it was quite an eventful day as she was asked to step down by the opposition.

We visited shopping areas to see how easily we could find indian groceries and spices and these are easy to get a hold of. Speaking of food, i just love the options for eating out - the food courts are so varied and interesting. However i could not find clothing that appealed to me. it was easy to find childrens clothing but i could not find anything that was similar to the offering to Edgars, Woolies, Mr Price etc. Where do you ladies shop?? i liked this things in Myers - but that was way too pricey!

The city itself didn't seem to be that busy and i was just wondering how easy is it for a Project Administrator to find a job out there as I have only seen a few ads for my skills. Hubby is a Java Developer so also wondering about the number of opportunities in the IT sector. I have been keeping an eye on career sites etc.......but also would like a feel of the reality out there...........HOW tough is it to actually get a decent paying job out there????

But anyway, i justed wanted to say that i had a productive trip and look forward to being there permanently in 2 to 3yrs.

• Like 3

hi Usha....Im glad you loved Canberra. Its a truly beautiful city with so much peace....have you smelled the air? I have never smelt such sweet air...its so clean

Your feelings mirror mine...the fact that we feel we are forced to leave is not a happy feeling.

I have over the years, told myself to not think like this, as I was a very angry person at one stage, angry at the country, the ANC, the leadership etc. But I have changed my view for my own sake. This is for our children, but we need to be happy too. I view myself as a traveller, I will see the world. Instead of seeing myself as fleeing a country, I try to envision that we are on a journey over the world, where Oz is only the first stop. Who knows where our journey might take us.

Good luck with your travels...be sure to let me know when you are there...we are also in love with Amaroo and will probably settle there.

Hi Usha

Such a lovely post, thank you. We are torn between Sydney and Canberra. I really want to go somewhere more peaceful - not to swop one JOburg for another (without the obvious differences such as the crime and aggression). We are considering Canberra or Adelaide as an alternative to Sydney. Am also concerned about the job prospects so it helps to read posts like this...

• Like 1

Usha, (still cant believe you have the same name as my friend here in Sydney, who is visiting in RSA at this precise moment!), glad you found Canberra to your liking. On the womens clothing front, and this might differ vastly between individuals, I almost exclusively shop at Esprit and Just Jeans for the staples in my wardrobe. I find if you are in a "normal" body size range, have a few curves, want your garments to be mostly 100% cotton, wash well and last. These places are worth a look in. I cant comment on office wear, as I have never dabbled in the corporate dark arts. For kids I love Best And Less. They apparently have a affiliation with Ackermans and it is evident in their great kids clothes. Speak to some of the Canberries and ask them about winter tempretures and what wear for the cold. I personally get very cold in Sydney and believe Canberra is colder.

Thank you for sharing. We are also heading off to Canberra

thanks for sharing your positve post, we too are heading out that way, glad Canberra is a Child Friendly place.

All the best....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Usha,

Glad you liked my second city ....

It is a lovely place .....

I live in the Gunahlin area, and love it .... Moved here as accidentally as I moved to Australia - that'll teach the wife to not think before giving me permission to do things ...... :blink:

Which Westfield were yo in - they're ALL Westfields ..... was in Belconnen, Tiuggies?

Can't really help you much, I suppose, just encourage you that it is a great place to bring up a family.

Jobs.

Now to be a bit discouraging. Sorry ....

Most jobs here are with the government in some way or another .... if you are wanting to work for the government, you need to be an Aussie citizen (unless the director overrides the requirement).

You MAY also need a security clearance. I met some people at a CCC get-together who basically only had police clearances .... I had to go through a full security clearance ..... 7 MONTHS, it took - OK some of that was my fault - incorrectly certified copies, etc .....

But it can be daunting.

Of course there are private companies, but the overwhelming majority are sucking on the government teat .....

• Like 1

Hi @ OBD, nice to see someone else in Canberra to where we are headed, hope you don't mind if we pick your brain for guidance when the time comes.......

No probs - no school questions .....

Paul, I think you would like Canberra, very laid back place, no hustle and bussle.

• Like 1

on the job front, it is very hard to find work because a lot of the jobs are Government positions and you need clearance and citizenship for Canberra.

Yup and that is why I may end up in Melbourne or Sydney unfortunately but at least the high speed training between Sydney and Canberra is being built.

• Like 1

Sharon, I will still visit you all in Canberra, you just have to hound me as I am bad at remembering to visit friends...

Yup and that is why I may end up in Melbourne or Sydney unfortunately but at least the high speed training between Sydney and Canberra is being built.

Hmmm, reported on but not in process, maybe by 2030...

what, drat, I thought it would be sooner than that.

Mark - You're gonna wait a long time for that train - its light years away - may not see it in my time !!

Usha, happy to hear you liked our little town. Like Shaz says - It really is so laid back. And you definately wont battle to find Indian food either - I found proper samoosas a few weeks ago, those little crispy triangles - not hot and spicy like RSA - but what a treat.

As for clothing - it can be expensive, what I do is buy a few bits from places like Country Road, Witchery, Sportscarft etc my favourite most comfy jeans are from Katies - $40 cheapies. The I pick up bits and pieces like T's at Target. And I absolutely love the op shops in Canberra. Locals say we have the best in Aus - because so many people come and go from Canberra - embassies, consulates, students -

• Like 1

Where did you find decent samoosas?

Not the soggy triangles with thick pastry, but those lovely crispy things.

Oh yeah, crispy deep fried little triangles - mince or potato - like I said they are not chilli hot, but the closest thing I've come to a samoosa.

Now, if you promise to say 100 x - "I love cats - they are the most intelligent creatures on earth " and mean it - I'll tell you.

The Kingston Bus Depot Market on Sundays. Go to the Etheopian (?) Food stall - you'll find them there. Enjoy.

I wouldn't have told him.....I would have made him suffer and posted the packet your samoosa came in to him until he donated money to the local cat welfare society ;)

• Like 1

You see, Lyn, (in spite of liking spoilt moulting felines) has a dog nature - ie she's nice and she acts Australian. Whereas YOU, Andrea are evil and have a South African / feline mind. :P

Thank you Lyn, sounds marvellous.

:D

• Like 2

BTW - while you're there - you can also find a Saffer selling biltong and dry wors - a butcher selling boerewors and whole pieces of biltong (I buy for curry) - and another family has good streaky bacon.

• Like 1

Whereas YOU, Andrea are evil and have a South African / feline mind. :P

:D

Evil smevil......ya know I love ya, hey thong boy? But I am feline like

• Like 1

Evil smevil......ya know I love ya, hey thong boy? But I am feline like

Yeah, I just come running back to you - beware your leg, who knows what I may do to it .... ;)

BTW - while you're there - you can also find a Saffer selling biltong and dry wors - a butcher selling boerewors and whole pieces of biltong (I buy for curry) - and another family has good streaky bacon.

Thank you Lyn

I'll actually spend a little time walking around and see what's there.