South Africa... the land that breeds Racism

GideonVD

Hi,

I've been thinking a lot of this and think I have enough thought behind it to make this statement...

South Africa is not the rainbow nation we were looking forward to... it's become the source of all that we've tried so hard to steer clear of and forget... it is the breeding ground for modern racism.

I consider myself a liberally thinking person. I've seen the news articles and the TV commentaries and its strikingly obvious... this country does not want to let racism die, but instead keeps a firm grip on it and cultivates it.

Look at our politicians... they should be setting examples of "tolerance" and "acceptance". But they regularly use terms that explicitly paint the divide between South African's to try and make a statement or further their own goal. The young see and hear this and gets a warped perception of the other races in the country... thereby breeding the racism.

Racism is a part of the human condition, we fear what we don't know, especially people that are not like "us". This is further enforced by building myths, hear-say and spinning events to portray these differences in a negative light.

Our media and politicians have become the masters of this spin-doctoring. They are the ones that are dividing the people with their continuous use of racial terms and rhetoric.

This is why I fear racism will never die and will grow till it makes every member of society a walking nervous wreck. I recon the epidemic will grow to such an extent that the possibility of civil unrest and confrontation will not seem so remotely.

What am I gonna do? Not take this anymore and get the hell out of this place before it also consumes me and my soul.

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 1

I am on week 3 not reading South African news. I had gotten to the point where I could only deliver bad news to my other half and could not even have a positive conversation about any events in the country. I now read the Australian news, there is still news to read, not only politics, racism, stealing and death. You are right GideonVD, the media just stirs.....

• Like 1

Absolutely so true. It's so obvious and blatant that you cannot hide from it.

I also agree with you bbop, it's difficult not to talk about what's happening in the news but I try my best to stay out of it. I've learnt that politics and religion are the 2 things people fight most about.

• Like 3