It's been a year

HadEnoughofJuju

I just realised that it's 4 days over a year since I joined this forum and the journey I have been on has definitely taught me a lot. Along the way we have made some good friends, both in reality and in cyber land. We have been supported and encouraged through this process by complete strangers and even cried along with the stories that we have read about complete strangers. This has truly been an emotional ride for me and this forum has been my saving grace many times. There were many points in this journey that I though we would be stuck in limbo forever and when it got the better of me I would come to the forum and read some of the stories where people have triumphed over what seemed like insurmountable odds and are now living their dreams in Australia.

Thank you to everyone who has supported, encouraged and cheered for us along the way. Thank you to all of those who are still waiting for skills assessments, invitations, CO's or final visa grants who despite not having a visa yet are still kind enough to wish us good luck and be happy for us. Thank you to all those people who contribute, answer questions and support members through tough times. Thank you to all the hosts that spend their time helping members and keeping the forum running and last but definitely not least, thank you to the people who had the vision and courage to start this forum, it's been a source of comfort, inspiration and knowledge for many who have come and gone and will hopefully continue to do so for all the people yet to make the big emigration decision.

I have enjoyed becoming part of the family and I hope that I will have many more happy days of interaction with my cyber buddies.

• Like 12

Lovely post!

This forum has also saved my sanity tbh. OH has never been to Oz and gets homesick for SA very often as he has never really settled in the UK. I have been the driving (nagging) force behind getting the visa and with less than 2 weeks to go until we fly to validate I am desperately hoping that he likes what he sees and agrees to make the big move.

This forum has provided so much valuable advice and support for which I will always be grateful.

Hopefully I can repay this in some small way in the form of posting facts and findings during our reccie which hopefully won't bore everyone to tears!

• Like 1

"See a need, fill a need!"

This place is great! I signed up in Feb 2009, and posted one or two questions but never spent much time on here as our VISA was on hold at first. Had i only realised then what an absolutely fantastic place this was!! In the beginning of this year with our final dates coming closer, I looked up this site again, and started to read and read. Since then I cannot go one day without checking in at least once.

This site and its people has calmed a lot of fears, created a few new ones as well, hehe, but also helps to make it all so much easier. Its like the wikipedia for Saffers going to Oz. There is almost nothing about anything you can think off that has not been discussed.

And it is also a really satisfying feeling to know you can help someone with your own experiences not to make the same mistakes you made, or to handle difficulties in the best possible way. :king::ilikeit::hug::wub:

• Like 2

Isn't it awesome that we can be complete strangers helping each out! The idea of cyber friends that you owe a debt of gratitude to is very wierd.

• Like 1

This forum is very special, as are the people on it. Each day people can and do make a huge difference in the lives of complete strangers. I love it!

• Like 2

I started trawling this forum much the same time as when you joined (that's how I followed your and OYBR's story), and at that time I had NO way of getting to Aus, and it was all a very distant pipe dream!

Funny how life works...still can't believe I actually am in Aus now!

I agree wholeheartedly with HEOJJ...to those of you still waiting to come, I salute you and am hoping and praying that your dreams will come true very soon!

:hug:

• Like 2

This site is very special to me and hubby. 4 years ago he found all the info he needed to do our pr application our selves on here and hopefully we have given some info back that could help someone else again :-)

I don't know how anyone emigrates without being a member of this site, its like a family member that you don't see that often but you know they are there if you need them.

• Like 3

I wish I would have known of this forum bfore we came, as someone was saying in another post "how some people come to OZ without this forum?" we were one of those people and it would have changed the way we did things for sure!!!

Now that I know what I know I enjoy saying my 10c of what I can to help anyone in need 'cause of what we went through OHHH noooo This Forum makes things a lot easier!!

BIG THANK YOU TO U ALL :ilikeit:

D

• Like 2

What an amazing honour to be a part of this forum. Without it, and especially your help HEOJJ, we would not have been able to do the application ourselves.

We are happy for everyone leaving before us, being granted a visa before us, because we know, that one day it will be our turn to be granted that visa and it will be our turn to count down the days to leaving on that jetplane, and when that day comes, everyone else will be happy and excited for and with us.

Today was our last official coffee club in Pretoria and I really enjoyed meeting all the forumites who attended. I am sad in a way that we are leaving them behind (ironic that I'm sadder over people I hardly know than friends I have had for many years) but on the other hand I am happy that they too will one day be in Australia. We may not meet again because of the sheer distance between but I know that we will always be friends. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

We've also approached this forum with a lot of questions that we had. In most cases, the questions had already been answered previously in threads. I too hope that I can help with some info along the way. What I appreciate about the general people on this forum, is that they are real and sincere. I have met one forumite last week to hand her our IELTS book - what a pleasure! "Sommer" got a hug from her when she said good bye and it felt as if we had known each other for ages!! Thanks from our side as well!

• Like 1

We've been on this forum now for almost 5 years and it feels like a very well known place. Shed tears, had happy times, still holding on in the waiting process. So much valuable friendship, help and it feels wonderful to support others and be supported. There is always a 'forum tab' open in my browser ... :hug:

Good on ya mate ;)