HadEnoughofJuju

I was asked again today, why Maroochydore so I figured I would post my thoughts on this process and how we got to choose the place we did.

So far, after receiving the visa, we have changed or plans and final destination 3 times for various reasons. This has made me realise that no matter how well you plan things they have a way of changing and making you rethink your priorities.

We got to the point where we asked ourselves "what is our main motivation for emigrating to Australia?" Although there were several reasons, the one that cropped up the most was our child, her future and safety. This little fact made us change our entire way of thinking in the end. If we are doing this for her then our main priority when we get to Australia is to make sure that she gets settled and sorted as soon as possible. Having this as a departure point changed our plans considerably. Instead of looking for a house, then work and then a school we have now chosen a school first (based on the limited info we have to go on) hoping it will be the best for her and I figure an average to good school in Australia is far better than an average to good school in South Africa. We will then find a rental in the catchment area and start looking for jobs after that.

We will eventually be ok with the transition but the thing that worries us the most at this point is "will our daughter be OK?" (In my head I know she will be but we still feel that we need to try and make this transition as easy as possible for her).

When we were asked "why Maroochydore?" My response to that was because we can. We have been blessed with a 189 PR visa (which I like to equate to the golden tickets that Willy Wonka handed out) which means Australia is quite literally our oyster. We have never been there so we have no preconceived ideas about where to stay. All we know is we would like to be relatively close to our friends in Brisbane (and in Aussie terms a 1 hour 45 min drive is close) and we want to live on the coast in a small town because we are tired of the city. Maroochydore fitted that profile quite nicely so we chose it. Now all we have to do is make it work.

I am tired of seeing all the people around me living their dreams and doing things I only wish I could. It's our turn now and we are going to make it work. I want to be happy and I want my family to be happy. If for some reason Maroochydore doesn't work out then we move and find a place that will. I have personally had enough of trying to be the number 1 rat in the rat race of life. It's time to slow down and enjoy the ride with my family.

I think that our biggest problem as humans is fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of not having enough, fear of failure. I have said this several times here on the forum and I will say it again.

Failure is NOT the end, it's merely the beginning of another opportunity to achieve the same goals, using a different approach.

I challenge you all to step outside of the box and start thinking of things with a different perspective and instead of fearing the unknown, take up the challenge and do something you wouldn't normally do. And please (this is the disclaimer part) I'm not suggesting that you go out and quit your jobs to take up surfing professionally. I am merely suggesting that you do something that is outside of your normal routine and possibly even your comfort zone.

I have changed my approach to the whole idea of giving up everything in South Africa to start all over from scratch. We are in the fortunate position of being able to have a "do over" and as strange as that may seem to most people it's actually the opportunity of a lifetime. In 22 days we leave South Africa to start our "do over" and for some inexplicable reason I am quite calm and at peace with the whole idea and I am looking forward to the adventure.

To those of you still trying to decide where it is you want to settle or which state you should pick (and I'm talking mainly to those who can). Go with you heart and make the decision based on what the most important motivating factor was to leave South Africa. For those of you who are limited by your visa's in terms of where you can live and work, see that as an opportunity to explore and find somewhere to settle once you have PR, citizenship or a different visa that allows you to move and make that part of your goals and dreams and focus you efforts on achieving that.

As sad as this sounds, everyone that has a visa (no matter what sub-class that visa is) you have a back door to get out of a country that is fast declining and may never recover from where it is headed. My heart aches for those that don't have the opportunities that we do. Take it, use it and make the best of it, they don't come around every day.

• Like 12

You go!

Thanks for inspiring us...

I am so with you on the fear thing! Never quite sure when I fear is unfounded though, and when it is actually based in reality?

Please keep us informed of your journey. It is such a pleasure to read, and we all learn from you.

• Like 1

Hi HEOJ

Thanks for the insight. I've been away this weekend, saying goodbye to family who are about to leave Blackwater in Queensland and move to Gunedah in NSW, they are still looking for their special place but I'm pleased they have decided to take a gamble and try something new, but at the moment I can only think how much I will miss them, especially my beautiful sister in law.

I've also spent a lot of time thinking about what is important in my life and what changes I need to make to be authentic to myself this weekend, so I get what you are saying.

I actually agree that giving up or saying goodbye to your old life can be very freeing,you are actively shaping your future rather than just following a well trodden path.

I'm both excited and nervous for you all, because I want your journey to be a happy one.

Just remember I'm too far from Maroochydore to be of any physical assistance, but I'm just at the other end of the phone if you guys need me for anything.

• Like 1

I really like your thinking. We chose the city that we thought we would have the most luck finding a job. When we arrived the only thing that was certain was the school which we all fell in love with in 2008. I now have a very happy and well settled son. Good luck with your plans and looking forward to meeting you.

• Like 1

HEOJJ, with your attitude, I believe you are going to be happy in your new home. New things - experiences - challenges.

I never realised until I got here that I was living in a rut. Boring same old every day. This is your chance to live life to the fullest - to start over.

Arrive in Aus, dust yourself off after the long haul, and start your new adventure. For every low, there will be two highs.

I wish you only the very best. Cant wait to hear about your Aussie adventures.

• Like 2

I also like your idea, however, the only reservations I have, is that elusive job...

For instance, I would love to go and live by the sea, it would absolutely make my day...but, unfortunately for both hubby and I, the jobs we do, especially his, is only available in a big city. So we did the next best thing, we live on the edge of Melbourne Metropolitan area, definitely a little bit country, small village lifestyle, so although we cannot have it all, we can earn good money, which unfortunately, unless you are somebody who has megabucks, is a necessity, not a luxury.

My advice has always been, go where the jobs are. There are always great schools available, regardless of which city you find yourselves in. I personally think that the stress you place upon yourselves by not considering employment first, is going to be huge.

I sincerely hope that you prove me totally wrong! :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

• Like 4

Well Mara,

I think they are making a rather good move in terms of employment -especially for OYBR.

For teachers in Australia, the most jobs are NOT in the cities. In the cities there are more teachers than jobs, whereas in the smaller areas they often struggle to find teachers to fill positions such as Math, Science and English - and she teaches English.

So, even though job opportunity was not their focus, I think for her at least she will have more opportunity where they are going.

I think Mara makes a sensible and valid point, but OYBR and HEOJ are both sensible people and will quickly see what options are or aren't available, the good thing about basing yourself on the Eastern side is that there are a lot of places close to the sea, and I am certain that they are both prepared to take any work to make a crust and then build up to where they want to be.

Truely inspriring because if we don't find another 5 points (going to try and redo the blasted IELTS!) then we will have to settle on a subclass 489. But really who cares! Whether we have a first class ticket, or back seats in economy, the destination is still the same. Good luck to all in your quests. :yourock:

• Like 1

I think Mara makes a sensible and valid point, but OYBR and HEOJ are both sensible people and will quickly see what options are or aren't available, the good thing about basing yourself on the Eastern side is that there are a lot of places close to the sea, and I am certain that they are both prepared to take any work to make a crust and then build up to where they want to be.

I wasn't trying to discredit Mara's advice. It's good advice for most people, but the areas with the most job opportunities for teachers are very different to those of other occupations such as IT etc.

I know you weren't Werns. I usually completely echo what Mara says, and that is go where the work is, but know that HEOJ is trying to look at things from a different perspective and focus, that of his daughter's happiness.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with your thinking, there would be hundreds of schools in Brisbane and possibly a dozen in Maroochydore, so you could quite possibly have a bigger transfer in the city.

Also, a lot of newly qualified teachers opt to work in regional areas as there are good incentives,so we never have a shortage here in my area of regional Queensland

Opportunities for valuable experience and advancement are available for
teachers who are willing to work in rural, remote and regional locations.
These teachers can also access a range of additional benefits,
including generous financial incentives, accelerated transfer points and
subsidised accommodation.

Either way, luck and persistence will play a part. I'm not sure how it works in Qld, but some states choose from a pool of teachers and send them to a specific area. I think most of te new to the country teachers I have known have started out as relief teachers at different schools before being offered a permanent post.

I wish you and your family all the best and agree - moving across the seas to a place you don't know takes a lot of courage - no place for fear! It is an adventure - enjoy the ride :)

• Like 3

Just wanted to say we LOVE Maroochydore! They have the best weekend markets and the best brekkie rolls in Qld!

• Like 1

Well HEOJJ, your whole journey up till now defied the impossible - remember where you started out, when you thought all chances where gone. You were willing to fight for what you want, so I have complete confidence that you will make it work down under again - against almost any odds. Often one's attitude gets you where logic defies possibilities. Angus Buchan sayd once: the impossible is the foundation of miracles.

Love your journal, will follow your writings !

• Like 3

Thank you all for the responses and advice. I do get what some of you are saying and that we should be responsible about the way we do things. Let me assure you we will. We have the chance of a lifetime here, the fact that we are starting over with a clean slate and the opportunity to build a new future is awesome. It does not really make a difference to us where we do it as long as we also get an a fair go. We have come this far, the only thing stopping us from living our dream is us. If we don't take this leap of faith now we never will.

• Like 1