ausie acsent

jm01

I'm actually looking forward to the accent. When last did you watch SABC news? Now there's an accent I won't miss!

• Like 2

Wait till you have been in Aus a few years and you hear a heavy South African accent like a rugby player being interviewed on the TV: my goodness does it sound strange

• Like 2

Partykeer as ek engels praat met my aussie pelle, dan klink ek vir myself dom as ek my eie aksent hoor :whome:

• Like 2

ek klink dom oor die algemeen in engels,hehe

imagine hoe praat ek as ek so sleg spel,heyhehehe

As jul die IELTS geslaag het, is jul in my opinie 'baie goed'.

Talking of accents - have any of you guys living in oz for some time managed to learn / master the australian accent? Was it a natural process or did you put effort into it? And what about the children, of course I know young children like my 2 boys (aged 3 and 5) would learn the accent from the start but do you think our girls (aged 11) would also gradually learn to speak "australian" ;). ?

Oh yeah, my kids were 13 and 14 when we arrived, they dont sound south african anymore. Im sure your kids will sound Stralian in no time. And they learn all the Aussie slang too.

I never wanted to learn / master the Aussie accent - it was either going to come naturally or not at all.

It gets better, but the Saffa accent never goes away - it's as bad as Scottish.

The other day I was watching some clips on Youtube with a Zimbabwean narrator and was overwhelmed by the thick accent. And in the old days, to me, Zimbabweans used to sound like Englishmen.

Other day I was talking to a po0liceman, and mentioned SA - his comment "I thought you had a bit of an accent" - my thought was "you'll never make senior detective", but I kept that zipped away.

I DID work on the accent - at the very least you have to alter the way you enunciate if you want to be understood - Saffas tend to talk low in their throats or almost in their chests - you have to lift it into the back of your nose. All without overdoing it and making them think you're taking the urine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Partykeer as ek engels praat met my aussie pelle, dan klink ek vir myself dom as ek my eie aksent hoor :whome:

Lekker sit ek en giggel nou vir jou Lynnie :lol::lol:

Deesdae as ek lees (nie hardop nie) lees ek in die Ozzie aksent :blush-anim-cl: Dis soooo annoying. Stupid voorbeeld:

"That lady with the water bottle is drawing a weird picture" sal ek lees as " That lady with the wohda bohdil; is drawring a weeed picture"

Arrrgh! Dis weeed hoe mens se kop werk nê? :P

• Like 1

Your kids may retain a slight South African accent, but they quickly learn to pronounce their words like the Australians (and have many arguments with you when you pronounce it the SA way/or tell you they don't know what you're talking about if you pronounce it in the SA way) and they quickly pick up all the little Australian sayings! :)

E.g. I would say "Tim" and be told that its actually "Teem"

Edited by WaltAM

It gets better, but the Saffa accent never goes away - it's as bad as Scottish.

It's worse than Scottish....I'm Scottish, the Scots dialect sounds nice.* Smacks OBD over the head with a cat*. Actually I was born in England and have an odd mixture of a Yorkshire/Scottish accent, lots of people think I'm Irish, the girls at work love my accent and are always trying to get me to do the radio advertising or any public speaking because they say people will listen when I speak because of my accent.

I sometimes get confused with the New Zealand accent and English speaking South Africans that have been here for a long time, there are definite similarities.

And yes, your kids will be mortified by anything you say that isn't Australian and because I use a mixture of pommie and South African words they spend most of their time being mortified.....I'm not allowed to say hair rakkie, I have to say hair lackie as in hair elastic....and they look at me all panicked if I say flip flops....and don't mention robots or garages, it's traffic lights and servos and assembly is parade.....

In general I don't have difficulty with the accent. However, there is one word that I battle with (being in Queensland and all): Maroons!

Do not think that it is pronounced like the colour maroon, no it is pronounced "ma-row-an". What's with that?

My bosses have been here for 15 and 10 years and they still sound very Zimbabwean/South African. I don't think your accent will change if you move here as an adult, but if you moved here as anything under being a teenager you'll probably lose it...

The best is hearing people who have just come here (<12 months) putting on a delightfully terrible fake accent, and suddenly throwing out all the "yeah's" and lingo. It sounds ridiculous and it doesn't fool anyone :P

There was even some girl from Joburg on the ferry the one day who sounded as if she had lived here for years. Turns out she was here on holiday, but oh boy did she have a real true blue strayan' accent!

In general I don't have difficulty with the accent. However, there is one word that I battle with (being in Queensland and all): Maroons!

Do not think that it is pronounced like the colour maroon, no it is pronounced "ma-row-an". What's with that?

lol...

It's like the pronounciation of the letter H - which isn't like a gentle "ayche" like we pronounce it, it's this savage sounding "HAYCHE".

"Where does he work?"

"BE HAYCHE PEE"

• Like 2

Agree with Donovan re the HAYCHE when pronouncing H - had me baffled and usually stopped me in my tracks as it sounds sooo different to the way Saffers say H

Aussies don't seem to hear the difference between my "R's" and my "I's" - apparently sounds exactly the same to them.

I won't pick up the accent but have started saying "yeah" instead of ja, and yes I even throw in "mate" now and then

My best is the look on an Aussies face when I use the term "now now" and "just now" - try it - response/face reaction is priceless!!!

• Like 2

Agree with Donovan re the HAYCHE when pronouncing H - had me baffled and usually stopped me in my tracks as it sounds sooo different to the way Saffers say H

Aussies don't seem to hear the difference between my "R's" and my "I's" - apparently sounds exactly the same to them.

I won't pick up the accent but have started saying "yeah" instead of ja, and yes I even throw in "mate" now and then

My best is the look on an Aussies face when I use the term "now now" and "just now" - try it - response/face reaction is priceless!!!

I used now-now with one of the aussie partners here - she was quite offended that I was DEMANDING the work NOW. lol

I once said to someone - how are you going? - and I just felt dirty. I just stick to 'how are you' and that is generally used (at least it's very common here in Perth).

The first time I heard the "Maroons" pronunciation here in Brisbane I actually thought they were saying "Morons" .... :lol:

• Like 1

I also don't TRY the accent but I have realised that its sneaking in a bit, more the lingo than the accent really. My little one is teaching me how to say certain things so its quite entertaining to get the "lessons" , she's 5 by the way :whome: . "Its not park MUM, its paaaaak."

The kids in her class are fascinated by the way we speak and I've even heard the one girl say that her mum is soooo boring because she's just an old ozzie, not interesting like A's family that is from another world :lol:. So my little one is teaching them Afrikaans words which is cool. Baie dankie = buy a donkey :P .

I think the trick is not to try too hard because nobody likes a wannabe. :holy: .

Edited to ask for help : Any advice on how I can stop reading in Ozzie accent will be greatly appreciated! Its annoying the @%&( out of me.

Edited by AAAZR
  • Like 3

Baie dankie = buy a donkey :P .

My boss' surname is Van Zyl - "Fun Sail" is the only way to get people to say it right :)

Otherwise you get - Vane zeel? Varn Zarl? lol

En die Aussies kan nie die letter "G" uitspreek nie :whome: Ek ken iemand met die naam van Gert - hulle noem hom "ghert"