Moving to Perth from Sydney

MiniDachsie

Hi everyone,

I know that this forum is mainly for new comers to Australia, but I'm hoping that I can get some information/advice on here. I currently live in Sydney, but looking to leave as it's just too big and too expensive. It's a gorgeous city, but I'm looking for a more relaxed lifestyle.

So, apart from considering Brisbane I'm also looking into Perth. Just applied for a job there, so we'll see what happens.

I've read a lot of negative comments about Perth on the internet (lots of crime, bogans, expensive, boring), and although I know you cant' believe everything you read, I really don't want to move somewhere where I'll feel unsafe again (although I'm sure it cant' be as bad as SA?). I don't mind "boring" as such, since I am looking for peace and quiet! As long as there are nice cafes to have breakfast, parks (I have two small dogs), beaches etc I'm happy.

Perhaps there is someone on the forum who has done a similar move? Also, what would I have to earn in order to live comfortably (it's just me, and the pups) and in a nice area. Also, would it be easy enough to make friends, as I know no one in Perth!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

L

Is this something you have thought about for some time as I see you have been in Sydney for a while?

I suppose job availability/salary could play a big part in choosing either Brisbane or Perth, but it is a big thing to move on your own and have to start building up friendships and networks.

Personally, if you are going to a city where you have no contacts, one is as good as the other and it would boil down to those aspects you consider important other than your work.

Have you thought of doing up a list of the things you are looking for and that might help forum members from both those places offer practical advice.

Hi there,

We moved from Sydney to Perth 4.5 years ago. I would suggest the issues about crime, bogans etc are perceptions rather than reality - you get your elements everywhere and I can't say we ever felt it to be a bigger issue here in Perth than in Sydney. We've certainly have never felt unsafe here.

We've never looked back either. Although housing in Perth is far from cheap, there are other living costs that are definitely lower than in Sydney - e.g. no toll roads, parking costs all cheaper, our car insurance basically halved. You also tend to get more house for your money and manage to live closer to the CBD and/or beach than you would be if paying the same amount in Sydney.

In terms of what you'd have to earn, I would push for the same salary as you are currently happy to live on in Sydney. The cost of living is a little less but not that much cheaper, so I would not let a company use that as an excuse for less money if looking for work here.

For us the big benefit came in the lifestyle. Like you we felt Sydney to be a bit too much of a rat race and things in Perth are definitely a bit more chilled out. The weather is also really good for our personal preferences and lifestyle.

Good luck with the job hunting and possible big decisions.

z

As far as meeting people in Perth is concerned, I dont think the question is ,"Will you meet people?" but more of ,"Will you meet people you can become good friends with?". There are alot of people in Perth, all with their own brand of humour, ego and baggage. I have met Saffas here in Perth I have no particular interest in being friends with (in Perth or anywhere else). Then again I have met people who have not gelled with me, and fair enough too (maybe I am just an idiot).

Being open to new things and being involved in the community whether it be sport or some of the other form of activity is usually a good way to meet people.

I notice that you are also from PE. There seem to be more than a few of us from PE in Perth.

The crime is a matter of opinion as previously mentioned and some areas have more boguns than others.

Perth is really chilled, Definitely not boring (you just need to know where to look) and the sun shines more often than not.

Good luck with your descision.

Edited by vaughanroe

Hi and thanks for the replies already.

AndreaL, I have been thinking about moving, and wanting to move for more than a year now. I started looking for jobs about a year ago, mainly in Brisbane. I've applied for a few jobs, but nothing has come through so far. I do have more contacts in Brisbane, I don't really know anyone in Perth. So yes, moving to Perth in that sense would be a bit more difficult and challenging, but hopefully I would be able to connect with people through this forum, and also joining groups, etc.

Zetman, thanks, it's really nice to hear from someone who has done the same as what I am thinking of doing and is happy with the move. It does sound like the reasons you moved are very similar to mine.

Vaughanroe, yes, from PE as well. I guess I miss the relaxed life in PE! 10 minutes to get anywhere, sort of. I know that won't be possible in any big city here, but I'm always late in Sydney, and never have enough time on the weekends to just relax, especially if I'm driving to visit friends, or just shopping.

I'll try to give a bit more info as to what I'm looking for and why I want to move. As much as Sydney is a really awesome city, I don't earn enough money to really go to all the shows, eat at all the fancy restaurants, afford a villa/house/townhouse, etc, but nevertheless I feel like I am paying a lot of money to live here when I might as well live somewhere else that is a bit more affordable, even though it's not as "happening". I am in a unit at the moment, and would love to just be in a small house (villa, townhouse) with a bit more outside space for the dogs. I would have to move at least an hour out of Sydney to afford that, which would then mean driving to work a nightmare, or probably 1+ hours on the train and bus to work. Apart from housing affordability, my friends live all over the place, so on weekends, I end up driving around more than anything else, and there is always traffic. So, I usually end up rather staying at home, and hardly see my friends. Parking is a pain in the butt most places. I have two small dogs, and although a lot of people have dogs here, there is not one beach where they are allowed at any time of the day (that I know of and that isn't 1 hour plus drive away).

I have also been looking for work in NZ, and nearly got a job in Hamilton, but sadly I was the second choice :( I'm still looking for work in NZ as I really love the countryside and the open spaces. I am also over my job, no more career progression available so a good time to move really. I'm in education, so unfortunately, that kind of leaves me "stuck" in that field, although I would not mind trying something different. That, however, means dropping in salary which I can't afford to do. So, that has made looking for work a bit more difficult, as there aren't much out there in my field.

So, what I'm looking for in a nutshell - more relaxed lifestyle, being able to afford a small house/villa/townhouse in a nice area either close to parks and/or beach where I don't feel like my neighbours can pretty much hear everything I do and vice versa (more likely the latter as I'm a quiet person). Cafe lifestyle. Outdoors.

I've applied for a job at the University of Notre Dame so will see what comes from that. If I'm successful I would have to consider the salary as it's only a 4 day a week job so the salary is a worry, which prompted me to come and search for some advice here, and just general advice on Perth.

If anyone has some more advice on Perth, finding work (Perth/Brisbane/NZ), etc I would love to hear from you!

Thanks

L

I fully understand your frustrations about living in Sydney. I lived in Sydney for about 1.5 years and eventually decided enough was enough and it would probably be better to make the move sooner rather than later (before i really started putting our roots down). I didnt see Sydney as a place i could spent the rest of my life.

About 6 months ago we moved to Adelaide and we absolutely love it here! We about 8kms from the city, 5kms from the beach.. everything in Adelaide seems to be a bout 10-20mins away.

The rent in Sydney is ridiculously overpriced. It seems whereever you live in Sydney, you pay a premium for living there. We were staying about 40kms from the city and were MILES away from everything and was paying well over $500pw!

Currently, we staying in a bigger house, 8kms from the city, 5kms from the beach and paying less than $400pw. Besides the money saving, my daily commuting times went from over 3hours a day in Sydney(public transport) to 45mins a day (cycling to and from work - shorter if i took the car).. that is an additional 2.5 hours a day! You work that time saving over a month.. thats close to 50 hours a month you save on commuting which you can spend with your family, friends, hobbies, relaxing, more sleep etc. The time lost in commuting you will never get back.

Im actually in Sydney at the moment for work, staying in an apartment in the Rocks... which has been extremely pleasant as im 5mins from work and everything on my doorsteps.. but the reality is would i never be able to live like this with my family in Sydney.

Hi Robbie_P, thanks for your reply. What you found in Adelaide is what I'm looking for. This is the reason why I'm trying to find out if I could find that in Perth. I know a lot of it depends on where you live and how you live, but I think if I can get an idea from people who live in Perth in terms of overall lifestyle, and then as well specifics about suitable suburbs, cost of living etc.

Perhaps more people from Perth can comment on areas you could live in Perth if you worked in Fremantle. Nice, affordable areas, that is perhaps not too far from beach/parks (nice walking paths with dogs), with a nice and safe feeling about it. Also, what would cost of living be, i.e. groceries, electricity, gas, rates, water, insurances (this is all for just one person, but if you have a family I could probably still get a good idea).

I have an interview for the job on Monday, so I think now I seriously need to start considering if Perth could work for me, and what salary I should be comfortable with.

All comments appreciated.

With regards to costs of living..

I think there are costs which will be the same no matter where you live in Australia, such as groceries, internet, mobile phone, petrol etc.

Then there are other costs which could be influence by the city you living in, such as rent (the main one i guess).

With regards to areas, you could always look on realestate.com.au, but from what i have gathered, there is not a huge difference in rentals between Sydney and Perth, but i could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep in mind that your earning potential is much higher in Sydney..So yes everything seems more expensive but as a percentage of your salary, I'm pretty sure the rent will be the same as the other states.

My husband loves the fact that he doesn't have to drive and he can just sit and relax and read on the train. Coming from Joburg, a 45 min commute is not bad in our books. Wish we were lucky enough to move to a cheaper state on the same salary :whome: But then again, we love Sydney so we'll just have to find ways to save money here :wub: