Process and Timeframe from approval email to visa in passport

claudiodr

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what the process is once you receive the ‘Visa Approved’ email?

What I’d like to understand is; once the approval comes through, what is the process to actually physically get the visa in your passport and how long does it take from the day you get the email to the day you have the passport including visa, in your hand?

Thanks

C

Hey,

As far as I understand, you do not get an actual visa stamp or page at all!

I believe your passport number can be looked up on the "system" at the airports, and it shows that you have a visa. Some people also print out the letter to use as proof. If you really want something in your passport, you pay an extra few hundred dollars to get it.

the visa is valid and active immediately

• Like 1

You can pay a fee to have the visa stamped into your passport, but you really don't have to. As MrandMrsK says, they just look up your details on the system.

Although it's true that you do not require the visa label in your passport I have been told by friends (also members of this forum) that having the visa label in your passport really helps with the 100 point identification process as it carries more weight than the passport on its own apparently.

The process of getting the label in your passport is a bit tedious but possible. You will need to contact a company called VFS Global who have branches in Pretoria, JHB and Cape Town. You can either drop the passports off or arrange with VFS to have a courier collect and deliver the passports to your door step (which is obviously more expensive). The visa labels themselves cost R650.00 per person and there is a VFS admin fee of (if I remember correctly) R180 per person.

The R650 needs to be paid with a bank cheque (a very nice lady at the Australian High Commission did tell me though that they are working on implementing a credit card machine and EFT channels for future use but she wasn't sure when this would be completed) when applying for the visa label at the VFS offices and the admin fee can either be paid by EFT or cash deposit to VFD and the proof of payment presented with the application.

All you need to do is take all the passports, a copy of the visa grant letter which VFS keep, the proof of payment for the admin fee and the bank cheque for the Australian High Commission. All in all it should not take more than 10 working days from the time that you drop off the passports until you get the email to say you can collect.

It's rather an expensive exercise and not necessary for travel, as mentioned above. All airports with the exception of Tansania can track your visas online.

VFS Global Call Centre no:

+27839133636

I suggest you call them first to find out what your options are.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Like 1

Thanks HEOJJ, I'm actually in the UK but Im sure there's a similar agency over here,,,As long as we dont have to ship off our passports for 3 months its worth investigating.

Oops now I remember you saying something about that in another post. VFS Global have offices all over the world, I am not sure how it works at the Australian High Commission in the UK but the only way here to get an Australian visa label in you passport is to go through VFS. We cannot contact the High Commission directly. Maybe there you can go direct.