Best suburbs in Perth?

rikamarie

Hi guys! We want to start doing a little bit of research on house prices etc in Perth but have no idea in which suburbs we should start looking at. Please can anyone who stays in Perth give advice on which suburbs would be the best (preferrably family orientated, close to schools etc.)

Thank you!!

As usual - it depends.

If money is not an object, Peppermint Grove is nice.

Most of the North is nice, depending. Clarkson is crap - do not buy in Clarkson. I have never lived in the South or the hills so, it's up to others to tell you about them.

Now having said that about Clarkson I will contradict myself - there are two parts of Clarkson - Old Clarkson (as I call it) and Somerly. Somerly is really nice mostly with big parks (with established trees) - in fact I think about 20 to 25% of Somerly is parks - they're all different - some are full of kiddy play things, some are shady with lots of place to sit, some are flat grass where clubs set up 4 or 5 soccer pitches next to each other over weekends, some have workout machinery (rowing machines, steppers, etc). I live in Somerly when I'm in Perth. It's cheap (for Perth) and not bad. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarkson,_Western_Australia

Old Clarkson has some of the highest rates of assisted housing in Perth (that is homes paid for by the government - Homeswest), which means that they don't get looked after at all. Think loud parties, lawns never mowed, insect screens with huge holes and tears, broken windows, kids hardly ever at school, drunken people on the street at 10 am.

Mindarie is nice (if you have money).

Edgewater, Joondalup, Currambine, Carramar, Tapping, Kingsley, Warwick .... all worth looking at.

Beware of the neighbour with 14 cars in the driveway, ands good luck with neighbours with noisy parties - most bits of ground are so small you can not escape the noise.

You will notice that most Aussie houses are built differently from SA houses. Most Aussie houses (in Perth) have the main bedroom in the front of the house and the other bedrooms in the back, unlike in SA, where all bedrooms are off one passage toward the rear. (In general - someone is sure to tell me he lived in a house where things were different).

Hope this helps.

Edited and updated slightly

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 2

Choosing a suburb is about budget. And then perhaps how far you want to commute to work and where you find the best school for you.

For schools, use the https://www.myschool.edu.au website to get and idea of how well they perform ( go to "NAPLAN", then view results in numbers and any red colour = poor performance. The more red you see, the worse the school does academically as compared to the rest of WA and nationally.)

Obviously crime is a factor with some suburbs being dodgier than others. To get a feel of crime incidence in specific suburbs go to

https://www.facebook.com/perthwacrime

or

http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Aboutus/Statistics/Searchcrimestatistics/tabid/998/Default.aspx

If I had the money I would choose a suburb close to the city. Mount Pleasant is lovely. But we didn't have the budget for it.

Edited by GottaGo
  • Like 2

Hi,

When we arrived we were advised to look at the Western Suburbs as the crime is almost non existent and the schools are really good.

All the western Suburbs are on the beach area and are about a 20 min drive into the city.

Look at Marmion, Sorrento, Duncraig, Hillarys, Trigg, Doubleview, Karrinyup.

The rentals in these areas generally start at $650 per week and go up to about $1300 per week depending on proximity to beach. Sale prices start at approx $650 000 and go up to about 2,5 mil.

Good luck

• Like 1

As usual - it depends.

If money is not an object, Peppermint Grove is nice.

Launched a boat at the ramp at Peppermint grove. All the people in the area seemed to have their noses pointed just that little bit higher than the rest of us commoners. Pretty classy burb though. beautiful homes.

Perth is great, but only two weeks in we are really still finding our feet.

Hi,

When we arrived we were advised to look at the Western Suburbs as the crime is almost non existent and the schools are really good.

All the western Suburbs are on the beach area and are about a 20 min drive into the city.

Look at Marmion, Sorrento, Duncraig, Hillarys, Trigg, Doubleview, Karrinyup.

The rentals in these areas generally start at $650 per week and go up to about $1300 per week depending on proximity to beach. Sale prices start at approx $650 000 and go up to about 2,5 mil.

Good luck

From my colleagues - The western burbs are technically suburbs that fall within the golden triangle - draw a line from Perth up to Scarborough, then down to Femantle, then back along the river to Perth. The suburbs that have part or all within this triangle are the western suburbs.

Hillaries, Duncraig and Marmion are technically Northern suburbs. Trigg and Sorrento are a grey area in the middle.

Regardless, all are good areas.

Price-wise though, for a free standing "house", you would probably only get something starting at the cheapest at $700-ish in Scarborough or Doubleview (and it would be small). Hillarys - yes you could get something around $700, but it would probably be close to Marmion avenue (a very busy road). Duncraig is the "poorer sibling" to Hillarys - you could get something good for around $700 (ie not close to a Kar busy road). Duncraig has very good schools. Karrinyup, Marion, Sorrento, Trigg - you are getting into the $1mill territory.

If you have the money - the western suburbs are the "right address" places. Try Wembley, Subiaco, Wembley Downs, City Beach, Mount Claremont, Dalkeith, Mosman, Peppermint Grove, Churchlands and Floreat. These suburbs are my "dream" suburbs. If I had the money, I would gladly buy in any of them!

Hi guys! We want to start doing a little bit of research on house prices etc in Perth but have no idea in which suburbs we should start looking at. Please can anyone who stays in Perth give advice on which suburbs would be the best (preferrably family orientated, close to schools etc.)

Thank you!!

peppermint grove, dalkeith, nedlands are the 'best'

if you can afford it

I'm so glad I came across this topic. I've done some research, but your opinions put it nicely into perspective.

• Like 1

+1 for Kingsley, Greenwood, Padbury all pretty close to schools, transport and shopping centres. Joondalup also looking better.

• Like 1

I think it depends on what you want and what you can afford... the fancy suburb is Peppermint Grove, but houses there I think are over $6 million. If you're looking for a house anything in the north-western suburbs should be good, in the area bound by the coast, Joondalup and the Perth CBD. You could also go south but sometimes people joke that Rockingham is bogan central and Mandurah is honestly just too far away (over an hour on the train one way).

I've lived in Churchlands (the side closer to Wembley) and it was quite nice, I currently live in Joondalup and it's also a nice area, but unfortunately it's a bit far (although it would be perfect if you're here to raise a family).

• Like 1