Advice for the IELTS by an IELTS teacher

luckytobehere

Luckytobehere, I asked Jordy to start a new topic for your reply on IELTS in another thread. I felt that it was excellent information, which is now handy to everyone, not just the people reading the thread that you originally posted it in.

Thank you for the answers, I am sure they will be really valuable to all still having to do their exam.

In the reading section I found that the "True/False/Not Given (Yes/No/Does Not Say)" section bugged me.

There would often be questions that when I look at it plainly I would think of it one way, but if I scrutinized it a bit more I would think that it would be the other answer (usually between No and Does Not Say).

After doing several practice tests I realized that my initial plain thinking answer was always correct.

So, I guess what I'm saying is - don't over-think things too much. The answers are usually pretty obvious.

• Like 2

In the reading section I found that the "True/False/Not Given (Yes/No/Does Not Say)" section bugged me.

There would often be questions that when I look at it plainly I would think of it one way, but if I scrutinized it a bit more I would think that it would be the other answer (usually between No and Does Not Say).

After doing several practice tests I realized that my initial plain thinking answer was always correct.

So, I guess what I'm saying is - don't over-think things too much. The answers are usually pretty obvious.

Pretty much what i realised after the first time I wrote it. I was trying so hard to not get it wrong, that I over-analysed it, while the first simple answer is the right one.

Luckytobehere, I think you're referring to me that said to read the passage carefully the first time round. I personally felt that this would have maybe helped me because I did the skimming thing and I didn't do well in my reading section. I think maybe because sometimes they try to confuse you so if you didn't read properly you may choose the wrong answer because it's a trick question.

The one passage in my reading test was such a complicated and confusing article about meteor showers and comets and all sorts of dates and ambiguous descriptions of about 6 scientists and their opinions. The paragraphs were numbered, and the questions were in the form of statements and you had to specify which paragraph of the passage that statement was in. I had skimmed initially, but I had to go back and read so carefully again because I could not recall which paragraph it was in, then I got myself all confused because it appeared to me to be in more than one paragraph. So I feel perhaps if I read properly before looking at the questions, I would have remembered where these statements were clearly mentioned without being influenced by knowing the questions in my head and I wouldn't have had to go back and read again and confuse myself.

For example (and I'm trying to remember here so it may not be 100% accurate) the statement was "A theory that was initially discarded", but then the passage had multiple scenarios, one where they spoke about people not agreeing with one scientists initial theory, then another where they nobody paid attention to one scientists theory initially, then one scientist initially wondered if it was this theory but thought it couldn't be. Now which one of these sentences refer to "A theory that was originally discarded"? Discarded by who?

I don't know that there's necessarily one tactic that works for all passages/people. But what I meant by reading the passage properly the first time is so that you are ready to answer the questions first time round so you don't go back and over-analyse. Perhaps I am just not good at skimming...

I read all the passages thoroughly and then skimmed after reading the question. Fortunately I read fairly fast.

It was the trick questions in the listening that got me, they rest was fine however the writing was stressful as I am not used to writing by hand and had to revise essay structure and letter structure.

I am studying for my IELTS test at the moment (I write at the beginning of Feb) ... and so am most grateful for all the tips and advice.

Thank you and keep em coming! ;)

Printed this whole thread for my hubby, he needs to get an 8 and is SO nervous.

Please keep the advice and tips goming.

Where can I get some test examples or any work for him to work through / study???

I googled for example listening, reading and writting.

For listening, make notes on each answer but listen to the whole bit as they have some trick questions.

Reading is fairly straight forward especially if you can read fast. One section deals with matching paragraph headlines to paragraphs.

Writing was my most difficult due to having to learn formal letter structure and essay structure again and worse of all writing by hand. Make sure you get the min required number of words.

Speaking, avoid all slang. Say yes not Ja. Use synonyms and metaphors ie. show that you have reasonable vocabulary.

I also went to youtube and watched some lessons and example videos there.

I did well in everything except listening, only got a 7.5 and so I don't get the 8 in each section qualification (I wrote twice and got an 8.0 average both times) and lose half the points and thus am now going to stick with the PR190 instead of the PR189 I was hoping for.

I am not going to put myself through a third attempt, I will just have to live for 2 years where ever accepts me with state nomination, which is fine as the primary objective is just to get into Oz.

btw. I was looking at Ozzie slang and about 70% of it is the same as English slang here, well at least for me it is.

Good luck to all who are doing IELTS today in SA. I did it in Sydney today, 2nd attempt, 1st attempt in Cape Town, found it way easier 2nd time. Firstly I knew exactly what to expect and the format, and put in lots of practise this time round. Would be interested to hear what the writing 2nd question was in SA,

Give it horns!

Thanks Delboy. I wrote / spoke it today. It's certainly a test that needs plenty of prep!

It's all a bit of a blur now after several hours of IELTS overload but, from what I recall, the second question on the written test was something to the tune of "evaluate the statement that the politeness and respect of young people today is influenced primarily by society OR by the family".

The question I was asked in my oral was to describe a something that I learned in mathematics at primary / intermediate school. Talk about having to wipe away the cobwebs and access my long-term memory!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

Is it absolutely necessary to do the IELTS exam. If you were schooled on English, went to University and studied and wrote exams in English, and have been working in an English office environment for the last few years, will this not suffice?

thanks

Hi all.

Is it absolutely necessary to do the IELTS exam. If you were schooled on English, went to University and studied and wrote exams in English, and have been working in an English office environment for the last few years, will this not suffice?

thanks

If you are the main applicant of the visa you must have at least competent english. This can only be proven with an IELTS score of at least 6 in each band or if you hold a valid passport of a predominantly english speaking country like UK/New Zealand and a few others, but not SA. English language ability carries a lot of weight in your application, so if you hold a qualifying passport for competent english but need extra points for your visa you can write the IELTS to boost your points. If you can get a minimum of 7 in each band you get 10 points for proficient english or minimum of 8 in each band you get 20 points for superior english. If you don't hold a qualifying passport then you must write the IELTS and get at least 6 in each band.

If you are the secondary applicant ie partner or a dependent 18 years or older, then you only need to prove functional english (unless you are claiming points for your partner's skills then you must also prove competent english like the main applicant). To prove functional English you can also use a qualifying passport, or you can provide a letter from an institution confirming the years you completed a course or schooling taught in english (there are requirements here, will post the link tomorrow), or you can do the IELTS and get a minimum of 4.5 in each band.

Hope that helps

Hi all.

thanks

You have to obtain letters from the High School and University to confirm that the language of tuition was in English - then you may not have to do the ielts.

• Like 1

Hi all.

thanks

I think it totally depends on which visa you are applying for.

We did the ENS visa ( now the 186) and didn't have to do IELTs, we didn't even have to supply a letter saying that we were educated in English, and even though we applied using South African passports, I think the fact that we were both born in the UK and only checked English as our home language helped.

On the other hand, my husbands brother did do the IELT's on the advice of his agent.

As a secondary applicant I have letters from my High School and University saying I was educated in English. As has been said, it may be required for your skills assessment. My Wife has a postgraduate degree as an English teacher and she still had to do the Academic IELTS for her qualifications assessment.

The info I provided is for General Skilled Migration. Employer sponsorship visas mean you have a job already so there are lots of things that are not required because if you weren't qualified and couldn't speak English you wouldn't be offered the job.

So it all depends on the visa and as mentioned above whether your occupation requires the Academic Training. If you can specify which visa that would help to give a more accurate answer.

Edited by sianvz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We are doing our IELTS today!! Really hoping all goes well for us. And our police clearance also back this week, things are going well.

Good luck to everyone doing the tests this week. May you all score off the charts :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

If you have permanent residency in Australia and want to sponsor your parents to emigrate from South Africa to live with you in Australia, do your parents also need to do the IELTS exam?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to work in Australia on a 457 visa, do you still need to do the IELTS exam?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There

Where can I find some practise tests to do? Do you have a link or something where I can can find some practise tests please.

Thanks

• Like 1

If you want to work in Australia on a 457 visa, do you still need to do the IELTS exam?

If you are applying for a 457 you do not need to do Ielts