If not now then when?

Eyebrow

Two things: It is much hotter than i thought! And boy is the internet fast here!!!

Welcome to Melbourne Eyebrow - it has been lovely weather this last few days. I hope the weather holds for your stay it can be quite variable at this time of year.

I am in Melbourne!!!

Hey Eyebrow, welcome back to Australia and good luck with the assessment and I hope things go well for you during the stay. Please let us know how things go.

Good Luck!!!

If you need another sign...

We have these bakkies here in RSA called...

GoNow

• Like 1

Good Luck!!!

If you need another sign...

We have these bakkies here in RSA called...

GoNow

Seriously?

I am in Sydney. Sitting in a park opposite the building i must go to. Half an hour to my assessment. On which my visa rests.

Not nervous at all. No sirrie. Not me...

• Like 3

I am in Sydney. Sitting in a park opposite the building i must go to. Half an hour to my assessment. On which my visa rests.

Not nervous at all. No sirrie. Not me...

Hope it went well! And post some photos :)

It is over. I honestly dont know how it went... The first 15min went well. After that? OMG! It was hard. I felt stupid. I was the girl who grew up on a farm in Haenertsburg, in the metropolitan setting of very first world sydney... Oh well.

Am at Sydney harbour. What an amazing place! Jazz saxophonist strolling round and I am eating a meal worth 60dollars, sitting outside and looking at the ferries and the lights(and posting on my cell phone! I know. Get a life!). Feel really disconnected from reality. Australia. Wow. Must say sydney is a lot warmer than melbourne! Esp at night. But guess it must be different working in aus vs holiday...

Hold thumbs for my outcome. Must wait a month...

• Like 2

Am at Cockatoo island! Think i took the wrong ferry. On the deck. It is freezing! But Sydney is phenomenal!

• Like 2

Am at Cockatoo island! Think i took the wrong ferry. On the deck. It is freezing! But Sydney is phenomenal!

As long as you didn't catch the ferry thinking it was the plane back to SA. ;)

As usual, your courage is an inspiration to us all.

Hope everything went swimmingly.

• 1 month later...

It has been 8 weeks that I have been waiting for my skills assessment. And still nothing!

Hurry up and wait!

By the time I get all this done, will there even be a job to go to?

Edited by Eyebrow

I have been wondering what happened to you and the assessment...can't you email them and ask for an update? I am hopelessly impatient :) I would go crazy to wait 8 weeks for the result. Let us know as soon as you find out...I will hold thumbs that its a positive outcome!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got it today. I didn't make it. I am not considered equally qualified. And must do 3 months supervised work as a student again. Then i may do the interview/exam again.

I honestly think that this is another hoop to jump. An obstacle in a difficult path. Because what really will i learn in three months that i dont know now. If i was really that bad, then one or two years. But the things that they critiqued me on was so trivial.

But the implication is that i will have to go as a student. And pay a years student fees, instead of going with a salary.

I dont think i can.

I am the sole breadwinner...

Hey Eyebrow, that is just terrible news. Sometimes I wonder if their aren't to many rules in this process. Keep the faith and know that if this is meant to happen then the right doors will be opened at the right time. Thinking of you and your family. :hug:

Oh no - I'm so sorry to hear your news. That's just awful.

As HEOJJ says, keep the faith, when its meant to happen for you - I believe it will. :hug:

Im so sorry to hear about this setback. But I have no doubt that you will find another path, one which may be better. You are one of the most resourceful and strong people on this forum. Hang in there.

Ah MAN that sucks!! I know it's easy for me to say, but I still think that you should not give up. Why would you have to pay a year's student fees if you will only be one for 3 months? I wish there was something I could do to help. Isn't there a way to appeal the decision?

I know that this journey seems too long and difficult but you have come so far!

Should you keep going? Well, looking at your future in RSA compared to Australia most definitely.

Give me a bit more time. I can't think of any useful advice at the moment. In the meantime I will pray...

This is the first time I'm reading your post and I admire your guts and your love for your family. I hope and pray that the right doors will open soon and that things will head into a direction that gives you peace and happiness. Please keep posting as you inspire so many!

Sending huge huge hugs :hug:

• 2 months later...

Life is funny.

Anyway I have found a place to up-skill so that my qualification could be recognised.

But to make the decision to go is now so much harder!

3 months of study, then re-assessments, then actual job.

Money, money, money. May not buy you love, but reality is, we need it for other stuff. :glare: Like looking after the ones we love!

Anyway, today at work, I had another strange experience.

I work with people a lot, and I like to ask them about stuff, just because they are so interesting to listen to. And you can learn so much from them. (Well, maybe not the grumpy ones, then I keep quiet and move them right along, asap. :whome: )

Just a boring day at work. Then I met 3 people (relevant to my story).

The first one is Australian. Living in RSA. He like it here more. It is cheaper. He doesn't get ripped off by tax. Services are cheaper. He likes our food. Will he go back? Maybe if the political climate worsens, but for now he is here.

The second one is South African gentleman. He has an Australian passport, but much prefers living here in CT with his family and lifelong friends. Enjoys the climate and the restaurants more. AND he has a Australian passport with which he travels the world. 2x/year he goes abroad on a cruise. His daughter lived there 12y. But she came back too. Works for much less money, but happier with family.

The 3rd was a British lady who lived in Sydney for 13 years, visited RSA and loved it so much that they stayed. Here for 8y now. Runs restaurants. Was too difficult in Aus. Too expensive. And has friends who had upmarket places in Aus., but had to downscale to "burger bars" to just get some income. Weather better than Aus. and able to do so much more with their business.

How weird. Just when every waking second is taken up with the question: Should we go or not? Then people turn up from/or with some association with Australia.(And really, I never even met anybody from there before!!!)

So now I ask you: What is this? Why is RSA now suddenly the best place?

What to do? I am so torn. We don't live well here, but at least we have enough to live day to day. We have somewhere to stay. But I don't know whether we will manage that in Australia... :blush:

Take care forum people!

Hi Eyebrow, glad you are still around.

I important thing these people have in common is foreign passports. Dont underestimate the power of choice you have with another (other than RSA) passport in your hand. It gives you an edge, a back door for if/when the $#!t hits the fan. Those people literally need money for a plane ticket to AUS/UK and on arrival can access their welfare systems. Not saying anything about their immediate choices they have made, its true that Cape Town is a lovely place (for the large part), but they have secured their futures. X

• Like 3

Eyebrow, just to give you some info, running a restaurant in Australia will be expensive, the waiting staff have a minimum wage, are paid overtime, and do not have to survive on tips. The same goes for the kitchen staff. Although I do not know what the minimum wage is, I am guessing it will be around $16-$20 per hour.

I've often wondered about this, and I can only think that, whatever your circumstances, there's bound to be someone who would give anything/everything to have what you have. It oftens ups my gratitude, but at the same time it helps me understand why so many people are willing to come here.

For eg, there are a lot of asians migrating to SA, because it's better - less crowded, and if you work hard you stand a good chance of succeeding. One of the kids in my son's class came over with his family from china and his mom told me there the grade 1s have to copy out every letter in their alphabet 100 times a day as homework after a long school day, and showed me the calluses she still has from doing that. She said it's much easier for the kids here, let's them be kids longer... everything is relative.

I'm guessing that's also the case for a lot of people coming in from russia and the rest of africa. To them this is still much better than they could expect back home - plus mostly great weather... ;)

BUT, for good or bad, I see a lot of people in my generation especially, want their kids to have the childhood we had, the ride-our-bikes all over town, run wild in the veld and build forts without any kind of fear, stay out till your mother calls you in for supper... walk to the shops or tearoom down the road when you're 7... I think about that now and I would NEVER let my kids do any of this. And while I'm guessing they probably won't get quite that same freedom as we did, even in Aus, it will be a lot more than they have here. I feel like I have to keep them close - if I can't go outside with them while they play, I feel better if they're inside. It's not fair on them.

That aside, I want to ask how everything is going with your son?

It's not the same, but my son has sensory processing disorder, so a lot of things that are sensory triggers in autistic kids affect him too. It's taken a full year of OT but we've seen a lot of progress this year. I hope the school your son got into has also helped him and you are finding things a little easier.

Wishing you all the best, this has been incredible to read and follow and I'm sure absolutely amazing to live.

Thinking of you.

Edited by McCabes

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway....

So yesterday, at lunchtime...

My OH got hijacked. 3 men. Gun to head. Made him lie face down in the road. Took the car, and everything in it.

He is OK. Physically.

Where? As he was parking in front of my son's school to pick him up. In the Northern suburbs of good old Cape Town. (5 min later and my son would have been in the car with him. )

Another car parked next to him. He thought it was parents who also came to pick up kids. But the guy got out and pointed the gun and told him to lie down and give the keys. They kept him there until the other guy had started the car, then ran back to the other vehicle. And drove off.

I am grateful that he is ok. I am grateful that my 5y old was not in the car with him. I am grateful there were no injuries.

In the morning we had a car. Last night the garage looked very empty. :( But as I walked back to the house, it was safe in the knowledge that no BED was empty tonight! And that is what counts. We are all still here to fight a another day B)

Why? it was an 20y old Honda ballade. Who would want that?

I am sorry that South Africa is this way. Truly and utterly sorry.

I am finding it hard to breathe at the moment. Feels like a pressure on my chest. (Not a heart attacky kind of pressure!) But just as if I cant take a deep breath. -_-