Skype - it really is amazing

Donovan83

I just wanted to post some Skype love here on SAAustralia.

I made a big point of being able to have a video chat with my folks once I've gone over. Although audio only calls are great, there's a lot to be said for being able to have a face to face conversation. You get to see the person you're talking to and there's a much deeper level of interaction and connection.

So this weekend my mom, dad and I went out to go and buy an iPad so that we can Skype. I've also upgraded their line from a 384kbps line to 4mbps (much to their joy when it comes to loading YouTube videos!). I must say that I am completely floored by how well it works! I've Skyped on and off with people over the years. Most recently a few mates went on secondment to Canada and we did a few video calls - the conversations were natural, not jerky... even HD sometimes with no lag.

Once I'm set up there I'd love to buy one of these - http://shop.skype.com/intl/en-za/skype-for-tv/tv-compatible-webcams/tely-hd/ . It basically turns your living room TV into a teleconference device. I can imagine us sitting having a nice cup of tea and a chat as if we're all in the same room - the only difference being that the couches are 9 500km apart.

I don't think I'd have been able to do this back in the days before the Internet and Skype. It's a huge mindset shift to think that not all that long ago we were booking trunk calls to dial back to family in the UK, where there was sometimes a big delay which made having a conversation tough. Now we have HD video, for free, available immediately.

• Like 7

That's the first thing on my shopping list when we hit Australia.

• Like 1

And it does make the world of difference with settling in knowing you can talk daily without any cost.. I speak to my mom every second or third day and friends once a week and it makes you feel like you still live just round the corner!

Now Donovan - how much is Skype paying you to punt them?? :P

• Like 1

We have never had a land line in any of our Sydney rentals, which is no biggie. We put money on our Skype account, about $20 every 6-8months, family and friends sms/txt us to either call their land lines or to skype them. When we skype with the grandparents we often stick the laptop on the table and have them get a good look of the room and the kids playing/eating. They like to see the kids doing their thing naturally, little kids often dont have the patients to sit still for skype.

• Like 1

We have a media PC setup where our TV is in our lounge and Skype sessions on a Sunday evening are a God send. I bought a 1080p webcam from Ebay for my inlaws and us and it works very well. It seems every Skype update improves the product and the service just gets better and better. Between myself (ADSL2) and my brother in Ireland (30MBPS cable) the service is perfect, we never have any quality issues.

• Like 1

We have used skype with the in laws since we have arrived and have been very happy with it. the kids love seeing their grandparents.

• Like 1

I have always used skype but something I am eager to try is Google + Hangouts. From what I have read it is putting Skype and Facetime to shame. Here are some quotes from this article

Google+ Hangouts is one of those rare products that’s perfectly and provably superior to the Apple alternative in every significant way.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/185528/facetime-over-3g-too-little-too-late/#uvEOAt1wEkZT3vpg.99

Hangouts doesn’t need WiFi. It works great over cellular connections. You can go download the Google+ app right now and use Hangouts on any connection.

You can do Hangouts video calls from an iPhone, Android Phone, iPad, Android tablet, a Mac, a PC and a Linux box. And calls initiated from any of these devices can connect to any other. You never need to know or care what hardware anyone else is using. Nor do you need to know their phone number or email address (you just circle them on Google+).

And Hangouts lets you talk to up to nine other people at once, and invite an unlimited number (for example, you can go “fishing” for available people by inviting, say, 100 of your family members and friends.)

Unlike Skype group calling, Hangouts is totally free, and the length of calls is totally unlimited. There is no way to pay for Hangouts.

• Like 1

When I was in the USA, me and the girlfriend (at that stage) tried skype - it was slow and had lots of issues. Goolge chat was a lot smoother with no hiccups. It was in 2009, so skype's technology has probably caught up with googles, but I would still rather use google chat.

• Like 1

Skype's very good these days. We've planned to get web-cams for both sets of parents and will most likely be using the camera on our iPad's in the first stretch until we've set up everything else :)

My Dad passed away last week and through Skype, I watched the whole funeral. I felt like I was perched on the front pew of the church. What a sureal experience.

• Like 3

My Dad passed away last week and through Skype, I watched the whole funeral. I felt like I was perched on the front pew of the church. What a sureal experience.

Sorry to hear about your dad Sharon, my condolences. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

It must be a hard time to deal with the death of your father on top of everything new you are dealing with at the moment. I hope you and the kids are ok. My wife's English mother and father visited earlier this year and her mum suddenly got ill, was diagnosed with a terminal illness here in Brisbane and then a few weeks later died, all on her annual holiday. Skype has been great for keeping in regular touch with her dad picking up the pieces back in the UK. Funny how little bits of technology that pop up one day go on to be used for great things.

Edited by Fish

Hey Sharon, sorry to hear about your Dad. Our thoughts are with you.

Wow, Sharon, what an experience that must have been for you. On some level so wonderful to be part of that farewell and on another level so hard not to be there and touch and comfort.

My thoughts are with you and your family in this difficult time.

Sharon, how very sad. Please accept my condolences.

Thanks everyone, it has been hard. I would rather go back in a month or two when my Mom will need the support or hopefully she will come here on holiday.

• Like 2

Sharon, my condolences on your dad's passing. No words to make it any easier, but I'm thinking of you.

My deepest condolences to both Sharon and Fish.

My Grandfather died a week after he and my Granny came to visit us in South Africa ( we had been there for 6 months) and that was an incredibly difficult time.

I hope being able to be a part of the funeral has helped you in some way Sharon, :hug: to you both.

• Like 2