Jhb Get Together - 6th October 2012

miraclebabycaw

I see that 11am so far is the tentative for the gather. Is it still set for 11 or has it changed in the meantime.

Yeah, we might just have to get the final confirmed arrangements before next weekend ;)

I think 11am is a good time unless there are any big objections. Gives people time to get there and 'set up" and chat a bit before we all start chowing down lunch. Make say the "official" time from 11 - 4 so if people can't make it that early, they will at least have some time to still come if they want to come later. Definitely the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens. I liked the idea of the Ozzie Flag being put up. Anyone know the gardens well..I don't. Just to give some idea of where the "best" place is to set up. We need to be near enough to the entrance for everyone to see or have a landmark they can go to, but not so close that every Tom, Dick or Harry is constantly walking past as they have no other way to go and are bugging us.

I don't know if everyone want's to PM me their cell numbers and I will then send mine back. That way if there is any issues on the day like it's pouring with rain I can contact everyone?

We have not been to the gardens before, is it a restaurant or should we pack a picnic basket for braai or something?

Definitely a picnic or braai and meat..whatever takes your fancy. It's huge open gardens that the kids can run around in. Picnic blanket and/or chairs. and possibly an umbrella. We will bring a gazebo and I think a couple of others had planned on that as well to get lots of shade going for us all

Herewith some much needed info pasted from the Walter Silulu Botanical gardens website;

Entrance fees

Adults: R27

Pensioners & Disabled: R22

Students: R22

Scholars: R12

Children under 6 yrs: Free

Address

End of Malcolm Rd

Poortview, Roodepoort

Gauteng

GPS Co-ordinates:

27°50'40.7"E 26°05'13.8"S

Long 27.84463 Lat -26.08716

How to enjoy a botanical garden

Enjoy the tranquility away from city noise

Look at the beautiful surroundings

Take pride in South Africa's indigenous plants and animals

Ensure that you wear the correct footwear

Enjoy a picnic in the Garden

Leave only your foot prints.

Note our 'Carry-in, Carry-out' litter policy. Please take home everything you bring in.

The Garden serves as an important conservation area. For these reasons we do not allow the following into the Garden:

Balls

Bats

Bikes

Kites

Frisbees

Skateboards

Rollerblades

Scooters

Fires

Gas braais

Dogs/cats

Musical instruments, radios/CD players.

I would suggest that you bring along a pick nick basket (with something to drink), blanket and/or chairs and gazebo's. Include something truly South African to eat!

The cool thing about paying an entrance fee is that it keep unsavory characters out.

The Australian flag will be clearly visible to identify the group.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Ps: Weather SA says its going to be a lovely sunny day, with 0% rain forecast ;-)

Awesome thanks WhyNot..You can tell I have never been lol. Great information..thanks so much

• Like 1

Myself and wife will be there :P

• Like 1

We will be there.

• Like 1

I will be there - thanks to everybody for the effort in organising this get-to-gether :)

• Like 1

We will be there with our kiddies too!

Might not stay too long as we have house to sort out for the Bayley's guys that are coming Monday!!

• Like 3

Not going to be able to make it :(!

Enjoy it!

So how did the day go, or are you all still chatting away? And dont forget to take some pics!

Was great fun, met lots of new faces and made lots of new friends, I think Shona took quite a few pics.

Thanks Shona for organising the get-together we really enjoyed it.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
  • Like 1

What a lovely day. Was great spending time with so many people who actually "get it"!

Shona, thank you for organising everything. I wish you, and all our new "partners-in-crime" a blessed journey!

Thanks everybody for an AWESOME day, was really great meeting you all ;)

A big THANK YOU to everyone who attended! It really was a great day out and good fun was had by all. So nice to put some faces to the names on the forum.

Thank you to Shona for organizing this meeting. What a lovely day, we really enjoyed meeting everybody, especially all the Addy-bound people!