Advise - Australian Will

DebbieB

Any advise, experiences and suggestions of who to use etc for setting up an Australian will. We are in the South. Thanks

Hi there,

We are also in the same situation. Have been here for 5 years and our South African will, power of attorney etc is all worthless here.

I just spoke to the bank manager at the AnZ and she recommended R J Cole. For everything it's around $500.

If anything happens in the meantime there are serious problems as I have the rental houses..insurance policies.....kids...grandkids...and no valid will... so I really need to move on this one.

If anyone else has any suggestions? Bit of a shock to find out that married in community of property and all that SA stuff is totally invalid here!

Tamara

You also have to have separate wills here, you cannot have a joint will.

• Like 1

Yikes I have heard that our ANC is also invalid...need to look at this a bit more. Suppose it's only natural, different countries, different laws. I was given the name of a guy in Adelaide who apparantly is good and cheaper than the rest. Cost someone on SAAdelaide I think it was A$300 for the 2 wills. His details are:

Darryl Goodmund, no: 83220300 - offices in O'Hallaran Hill.

HTH

Dear Shona, out of curiosity and at the risk of sounding ignorant I have to ask, is the ANC really invalid even though one had to submit unabridged marriage certificates???

Can one not buy a legal will kit from the post office? Is that not considered valid?

Have a look at this site : http://www.legalkits.com.au/

It's recognized and legal - but even though it comes with instructions, it should probably only be used for very simple wills

Hmmm - only noticed after my post that this is specific to Victoria...

Edited by herby

Dear Shona, out of curiosity and at the risk of sounding ignorant I have to ask, is the ANC really invalid even though one had to submit unabridged marriage certificates???

I've heard they are invalid. I'm no expert at all but a number of people have said they are. Going on hearsay of course.

ANC contracts are a civil matter.

The Australian family court has a number of tests to determine if a pre (and post) nup contract is fair to both parties. One (of many) of the tests is weather both parties received independent legal advise. Often a South African ANC does not pass these tests and are therefore set aside (the independnt legal advise been the most typical) when divorse proceedings are in progress.

If a South African ANC were to pass all the tests of been a valid pre nup contrat it would be valid and upheld in an Australian family court.

Edited by 15 years out of RSA
  • Like 1

use your State's Public Trustee

its free and they keep it for you as well

Just be aware that the public trustee will take a percentage of your estate if you appoint them as executors.