Return Migrant Survey - share your story

RomyW

Question

Hi All!

My name is Romy Wasserman and I am a PhD candidate at the University of Adelaide. You may have seen my post in the 'Foyer' about my PhD research on migration between South Africa and Australia.

One of the online surveys I am conducting as part of this research is aimed at South Africans who migrated to Australia but have since returned to South Africa on a permanent basis.

If this is you or you know of someone who has 'gone home' please consider participating in my research by completing a survey or forwarding the survey link to a returnee.

To fill in a return migrant survey click here. Alternatively, the below address can be copied or typed into an email or browser address bar.

https:// www.surveymonkey.com/s/RETURNCONNECT

Further details can be found on the first page of the survey. It is important to note though that your responses are anonymous.

Return migration is a crucial element of this migration system and yet is something that is little understood. I thank you in advance for your assistance in helping us to learn more about this migration.

Kind regards,

Romy

12 answers to this question

Hi All!

My name is Romy Wasserman and I am a PhD candidate at the University of Adelaide. You may have seen my post in the 'Foyer' about my PhD research on migration between South Africa and Australia.

One of the online surveys I am conducting as part of this research is aimed at South Africans who migrated to Australia but have since returned to South Africa on a permanent basis.

If this is you or you know of someone who has 'gone home' please consider participating in my research by completing a survey or forwarding the survey link to a returnee.

To fill in a return migrant survey click here. Alternatively, the below address can be copied or typed into an email or browser address bar.

https:// www.surveymonkey.com/s/RETURNCONNECT

Further details can be found on the first page of the survey. It is important to note though that your responses are anonymous.

Return migration is a crucial element of this migration system and yet is something that is little understood. I thank you in advance for your assistance in helping us to learn more about this migration.

Kind regards,

Romy

Hi Romy

I just wanted to say good luck with your research. I note that you haven't really had a response on here, but you will find most of us on this forum are either already in Aus or want to move over. Very occasionally somebody will go back to SA & continue posting on here :)

I was thinking it might be worth putting your post on Homecoming Revolution too (if you haven't already done so), in order to reach more people.

Regards & good luck! Bronwyn

Hi There,

I cannot WAIT to go back to South Africa! It's the best messed up country in the world :-)

Planning on returning in August next year. Do you still need help with the survey?

Where in Australia are you situated and how long have you been there, Merton?

In my opinion, going back to SA was the worst thing we ever did. We came back to Australia and it is better second time around, but whatever floats your boat. i reckon Oz is the best messed up country in the world:-), not that its messed up but you all know what I mean. Utopia does not exist anywhere. The beauty of Africa is hard to beat but its a bit like a shiny apple with a worm inside. Australia is a a bit like a piece of fruit which appears to not be quite ripe yet but when you bite into it you find it is quite fine and surprises you in so many ways as i have found out. the beauty of the people who help you when all around you has failed. Australia owes its success to the fact that 80% of people volunteer at one time or another. You go beat that. That is awesomeness and I am amazed at and the resilience of the sun baked work hardened people of this dry land never cease to amaze me in so many ways.

• Like 5

I find it very suspicious when people only post one post - and especially when it happens to be highly negative with vague details (you get that on many forums, even the photography forums!). Do these people really speak from experience or did they really go through a nasty experience of which we won't get to read all the details? Then it doesn't contribute to the forum if we cannot learn from other's experience, mistakes and tips. Anyway, each to their own. We're looking forward to our move to Adelaide. I like your description of the fruit, funtobeaussiechick! You're right, nothing will take away from Africa's beauty, but unfortunately that beauty will eventually end up not being enough.

Hi There,

I cannot WAIT to go back to South Africa! It's the best messed up country in the world :-)

Planning on returning in August next year. Do you still need help with the survey?

Merton no one is going to take a post like that seriously if you have something to say then please feel free but so far you walk and quack like a troll.

• Like 2

I for one can't understand the fuss about his comment. South Africa is messed up, yes but he loves it and misses it and wants to go back.

Nothing really odd about it?

• Like 1

I think it was the "tone" of the comment but I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. And if you are for real Merton..Good luck to you in your new venture!

• Like 1

This is textbook passive aggressive behaviour. Most forum members have left or are leaving SA so this post is in the face of everyone here. If this person was honestly interested in the survey then there is a link to it, it was not necessary to leave any comment to participate in the survey.

Really people all the guy did was respond to the topic. No big deal and whether a person has one opinion or ten we are all entitled to post it. Just because you may not like someone else's opinion does not mean their opinion is wrong. Wow and the best thing about democracy, is a person's right to their opinion.

• Like 1