Best places online to search for properties?

Donovan83

Hey everyone,

I'm looking around to get a good idea of what property costs (a fortune) and what is available to buy. I've looked at real-estate.com.au and also domain.com.au, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other places where properties are listed?

Also - are there any web sites that specifically deal with off plan developments?

• Like 1

We mainly look at realeastate. Not sure on any others.

If you are looking at ACT or NSW or Tasmania, www.allhomes.com.au is also very good, especially for properties in Canberra I have found them to be the most comprehensive of all the sites

Also try ljhooker.com.au, they seem to be quite big.

Everything that is on LJ Hooker (or any other agent's website) will always appear on Realestate.com.au or domain.com.au. Allhomes.com.au is actually owned by a group of ACT real estate agencies so those agencies don't always advertise on the other two. That's why it's a very specific ACT site (and to a lesser degree NSW & Tas).

But honestly, I wouldn't be looking at buying until you guys have lived in a city for at least a year. Looking on these websites gives you a great idea about price, but not a frigging clue about the actual area, the terrain, the standard of the suburb, etc. in parts of Aus (the GC is like this) you will have certain streets within a suburb which are fabulous and others in the same suburb which are shockers.

I remember when we found out we were headed to Sydney on a 457 back in 2007. We Google Earthed, google mapped, google street viewed, googled images and videos. We felt like we knew parts of the city that even lifelong Sydneysiders didn't know. And then we arrived and were so surprised at how hilly it was. And green. And how much open space there is. And how narrow the traffic lanes are along the Pacific Highway. Where we thought we had a feel for a suburb, that 'feel' turned out to be completely wrong.

We even went so far as to only sign a six month rental lease so that we could go wxploring and figure out what places we liked and what we didn't like.

• Like 4

Donovan .. are you looking for investment or for living in? If investment drop me a PM and I'll email you a lady by the name of Janese Malone who deals with investment on new off plan places before you arrive in Oz. If it's for living in, I agree on the rest..you should be there a minimum of 6 months before you even think of buying...

www.reiwa.com.au for properties in Western Australia.

I wish it was for investment (if only I had that kind of money!) but no, it's to live in. I'm really just trying to get an idea of prices of property, mainly for planning to save for a deposit and timing of buying.

Agreed - I woulnd't want to arrive and then buy immediately :)

• 2 weeks later...

Also - are there any web sites that specifically deal with off plan developments?

Hi

Have you tried the new homes tab on realestate.com.au?

There is a few companies and there is a link to their websites

• 4 weeks later...

If you're still looking around....

I'm particularly fond of http://www.oldlistings.com.au/ (For historical prices - you can drill down to a street level)

And http://www.suburbview.com/ (Really handy if you display the prices of units to gain an average price of an area)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I love those two websites.

Mrs Mupersan, I am doing exactly the same thing. From your past experience of Sydney I'm looking at Mosman or Manly. I fell in love with Balmoral Beach and although it's an expensive area I want to work towards owning a place in that area. However I would like to look at other suburbs around those two that aren't too much further away from the City as my husband and I will most likely work in the City - do you have any thoughts on other suburbs.

I would love your thoughts on this.

• Like 1

I'm particularly fond of http://www.oldlistings.com.au/ (For historical prices - you can drill down to a street level)

I am also a fan of this site - you can see whether a property you are interested in has been on sale in the past couple of years (or if they have been reducing the price as it has not been selling at the original price) and what they were asking then - plus other properties in the neighbourhood.