Accommodation in Melbourne

baysa

Hi everyone

Our family arrives in Melbourne in October this year and we were just wondering whether we are able to rent a house even though we will be arriving without jobs?

My husband and I are both chartered accountants and hope to find jobs soon but you never know how long it will take! Also, what is the job market like in Melbourne at the moment for accountants?

Try http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/ for temporary accommodation, we used them to rent a furnished house initially for six weeks. I dealt with the owner directly so there were no reference checks or anything. Then as soon as you have a permanent job you can find a more permanent rental.

You should be okay with jobs, October is a good time - after financial year end but before the end of the year slow down.

Thanks so much, Sibella. Checked out that website and it is so informative!

Did you come over with a job or did you source one when you arrived? It is so scary arriving with a young family with no jobs secured!

A bit more difficult but certainly possible! We had to pay three month's rent in advance to get the house we wanted, but as this was exactly what we needed we paid this with a smile!

Lots of accounting jobs advertised on www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?DateRange=31&SearchFrom=quickupper&SearchType=search+again&Keywords=&location=1002&industry=1214&salary=100000 in Melbourne, might even be worth your while to line up a few interviews a month or two before the move.

MG

Thanks MG! We thought that upfront rental could be the answer!

I was thinking of coming over a few weeks before our move to secure a rental but that would mean that we will have to "camp out" with minimal furniture etc while we wait for our container from New Zealand. The short term furnished rental options suggested by Sibella look like a better bet!

I can also vouch for moving to Melbourne Kate who runs it is lovely.

On the longer term rentals we had no problem securing. a 2 bed flat prior to getting a job. seemed less competition and we showed we had money in the bank.

We came over with a job. We have two kids and had another (surprise) one on the way, so didn't want to risk coming over without one. But we lived in the UK so not too much of a rush. Except that we had to get here before the birth of our baby ;).

But I'm sure you'll be fine, I have a friend whose husband is a CA and he found work quickly.

Archived