Almost there

Kappie

Hi there

I've been reading this forum for a while now and enjoy every moment. I get excited for everyone starting the process, and eventually settle in OZ. My husband and I are busy for a while now with the 175 PR visa process. We have a case officer etc, but our application was put on hold for a few months due to me falling pregnant again and waiting for our son's birth before we continue.

We have now been asked to submit our last documentation as soon as possible. We still need to finalise PC, our baby boy's passport and unabridged birth certificate and our medicals (which we can't book without having the little one's passport).

Who used one of these agencies that apply for your documentation at home affairs on your behalf? They garauntee a quick turnaround time and it just seems much easier than spending almost the whole day at home affairs with a new born. I also see many people struggling to get unabridged birth certificates for the new born?

Hope you can help

Welcome,

beurocracy is generally a nightmare but however home affairs actually seem to efficient enough. I understand what you are saying about quing with a baby but quing time has been greatly reduced. Also collection seems to be jacked up as well and in my recent experience, they said 4 to 6 weeks but by the 2nd/3rd week it was ready for collection.

I am not sure about these agency people and them guaranteeing quick turnaround time because as far as i am aware the only effect they have on the process is that they que for you.

My advice is, don't be scared by what you are hearing from other people, just start the process ( because there is no getting around this and the sooner the better) and you may just be surprised at the beurocratic process.

Just curious as to why would the unabridged of a new born be any different from any other child seeing as they need to clarify details of the infants parents????

Anyway welcome and am sure you will get great support on the forum. :)

NB: I see you are from cape town, so am not sure about home affairs there but in gauteng specifically edenvale service has been efficient enough.

regards

R

Edited by RAD

Thanks RAD

I've noticed that these agencies, that queue for you, are quite expensive too. I read someone on the forum waited up to 5 months for their new born's unabridged certificate. Anyway as you said, let just do it, the sooner the better.

Home Affairs are pretty good with passports. However, the unabridged birth certificates are still often a problem...not just for newborns. We did it ourselves and it saved us money but it was VERY stressful (the unabridged not the passport). It wasn't the queueing at home affairs that was the issue it was the waiting afterwards to get the documents. If you're lucky your application will be processed quickly but if not there is a process to follow that can help push it through. You can pm me for details or do a search on the forum. I was under the impression that the agencies (like bunnyhop) must have some contact on the "inside" who helped process their applicants faster??

Hi and welcome

All I can chalk it down to is the office that you apply at. I'm confused though. When the baby was born did you not get a form to fill in which was for the application for the babies birth certificate and on that you could choose the abridged free of charge or the unabridged at a cost? I remember us doing that with my daughter and we got a full unabridged one that way quickly. I still collected it from the hospital. Anyway maybe things have changed. We had to apply for my son. We applied in Alberton in Jhb and 8w later they told us they didn't even have the request and no one could find a thing. They have a satellite station not far from us now where you can apply for passports. We all had to get new passports so went there and could also apply for the unabridged birth certificate there at the same time. We had the slip from applying in Alberton so they did not charge us again, just did a new application. We receieved it 4w later with no hassles.

Try see if you can find out if there are any of these "satelitte" stations around by you as they might be better. I have no idea on the companies that "help" though.

Good luck

Having someone help is very expensive.

We decided to do it ourself. For all 5 unabridged certificates it took less than 6 weeks.

I know we were very lucky but it saved us plenty of money.

I did tell them it was urgent and was given tel numbers to phone.

Hi Kappie

I know of someone in JHB don't know if he will be able to be of assistance, only have an no. but this person can get doc within 3 days, he helped someone I know.

He has a lady at the main home affairs office that helps him.

Hope he will be able to give you details of someone else if you are maybe to far away.

Good Luck

Hi guys

Thanks for all your comments and advise. It seems I'll go stand in the queue, because it is just too expensive to get someone else to doit. When little one was born I could just do the Abridged certificate through the hospital, but not the unabriged. My husband tried once at home affairs, but the queue was to long for him to stay that day and they gave him documentation for late registration of birth instead of the certificate application documents. He got frustrated with the service and the blank stares we all got use too by now.

I'll keep you updated and I'll shout again if I need help

Thanks again for all your advise so far

Hi Kappie !! We are in Brackenfell and believe me, it's faaaar better to go to the Stellenbosch branch of Home Affairs, or even Paarl's, or many people drive to Malmesbury, to avoid those qeues and blank stares. Sincy hubby works in S'bosch, it is most convenient for us. We did fight with Home Affairs a WHOLE YEAR to get our baby's unabridged birth certificate, she was born January 2011 and we only got the unabridged March this year !! So if you're pressed for time, you might consider using someone. If not, you can try go the regular route through home affairs.

(If you want to get out with baby & other child(ren), PM me, we can do coffee/tea !)

Hi Alida

My husband also work in Stellenbosch. Where in Stellenbosch is Home Affairs? I didn't even know they had a branch there. I just know about Paarl.

Reyneker Street, Stellenbosch,

Operation hours are subject to change without prior notification

Monday to Friday: 07:30 - 16:00

021 8874792

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

I see I am not the only one waiting for unabridge birth certificate. Alida, you mentioned "using someone"? Can I pay someone to do this? Been waiting 6 months already - got mine and hubby's in 3 weeks but our daughter's certificate is still outstanding.

Cam

Ah I see Chantal posted the message with the contact - do you have a number for me Chantal? Thanks :-)