Duty Free items

Heymanse

So my sister is coming to visit me end of the year and of course, had to ask them to purchase a bottle of Cape Velvet and a bottle of Red Heart Rum for hubby at the Duty Free area at the airport. I've never done this before but have seen that people either get their Duty Free items when they get to the their destination but I've also sean people with their Duty Free items being brought onboard for the flight. What exactly happens to the alchohol items you purchase at Duty Free before you board a flight?

Also, if she decides to buy these items before entering the arport out of fear that Duty Free might be more expensive and decides to have it in her checked baggage, how much alcohol is normally allowed per person?

Also not sure how this might impact everything, but they are flying via Hong Kong, staying over there for 2-3 days on their way to Sydney and back.

Allowance is 2,25 litres of alcohol per person over age of 18.

I would recommend they buy it in SA and pack in their checked baggage nice and snug so it does not break and to carry the slip just in case.

When we travelled to Oz via Singapore a few years ago we were not able to purchase duty free booze at Joburg airport and travel with it via Singapore. Had to buy it in Singapore..hence my suggestion to buy in SA (where it is usually cheaper than duty free) and to check it in. Risk - it breaks!!!

Duty free the biggest rip off on the face of the earth. I travelled to 35 countries in my time and have seen product for sale at the same or even higher prices then what you could pay for it outside.

With regards to buying booze, just keep in mind that you can not take it on the plane if you buy it from outside of the airport due to liquad restrictions. So must be packed in your checked baggage. A 750 ml bottle will take up nearly 1 KG of weight in your check luggage.

If you buy it in the "duty free" take note that you do not run foul of the airlines cabin luggage policy, some only allow 1 item of hand luggage and of a certain weight.

With regards to your stop over, check with the airline what the duty free allowance is that you are allowed to take into Hong Kong as you will be entering that country.

And hey, enjoy your trip to Oz.

If you buy it in the "duty free" take note that you do not run foul of the airlines cabin luggage policy, some only allow 1 item of hand luggage and of a certain weight.

This does not apply when you buy duty free at the airport. 1 item of hand luggage is when you go through checkin and security at the airport. Why would then have duty free shops at the airport if you cant shop! Its has to be reasonable , otherwise they take it off you.

Enrica, the duty free and airline are not the same thing, the airline has it own policy. I do agree that I have never had a problem, but lets look at this example. In Amsterdam and at Heathrow I have seen duty free selling TV sets. I do not think that if I bought the TV set and took it with me, that I would be allowed to take it into the plane as hand luggage.

They other problem and I have seen this quite often with liquads, folks buy nice duty free booze, then they have a connecting domestic flight and fall foul of the liquad rule all of a sudden and have to dispose of that nice bottle of booze. Therefore it is best to put anything you buy into your checked in luggage so as to avoid any issues.

Never had any issues .... Also a world traveller and we always bring alcohol/perfume back, via connecting flights as well. Recent one in May from the US - NY, LA, Sydney then Perth.

you are allowed 2.25L or 3 bottles per adult in packed luggage. You are not allowed more than 100ml bottles in hand luggage so I'm not sure how the duty free will work. I've heard of people having their taken off them at airports. I personally wouldn't risk it and rather pack it well in your luggage.

Enrica, the duty free and airline are not the same thing, the airline has it own policy. I do agree that I have never had a problem, but lets look at this example. In Amsterdam and at Heathrow I have seen duty free selling TV sets. I do not think that if I bought the TV set and took it with me, that I would be allowed to take it into the plane as hand luggage.

They other problem and I have seen this quite often with liquads, folks buy nice duty free booze, then they have a connecting domestic flight and fall foul of the liquad rule all of a sudden and have to dispose of that nice bottle of booze. Therefore it is best to put anything you buy into your checked in luggage so as to avoid any issues.

Nicse, I am a travel agent , I know what the airline rules are but thanks for pointing that out.

Just so by the way if you go and buy that TV set , or that Ferrai that's for sale etc, the shop will ship it for you , or load the tv in the hold of aircraft at a cost. Try it next time you fly. The liquids and gels regulations , everyone should be aware by now that if you have an onward flight, then you CANNOT buy alcohol , perfumes, toothpaste etc.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. I know most of the can and cannot's but my sister keep on coming out with these weird things saying that someone told her she can buy the bottles outside the airport, take them in and just buy a Duty Free bag somewhere and so take it through Customs without any problems. I've never heard of such a thing EVER but then again I've never had to take alcohol through an airport.

I keep on telling her just buy it outside and pack it into your checked baggage if you don't want to buy it Duty Free - I don't really care about the cost difference - just want her to make it easier on herself and then of course there's the issue of what Cathay Pacific or Hong Kong Customs would be on taking items like that into the country, which I'll investigate a bit furter.