Just Joined and awaiting visa approval

TracyHaggett

Hi Everyone, my name is Tracy, we started our visa application process Feb 2011 after going for a LSD in Sept 2010 with the kids. We are awaiting approval of a 176 SS visa. Our application was submitted on 25 Nov 2011 and we were assigned a CO immediately. We were requested to go for medicals and PCC's at the beginning of May 2012 and now we are just waiting for approval.

Everything seems to be happening so fast now and becoming a reality after expecting things to take so much longer. Am I correct in assuming that we are almost at the end of the visa application process?

We are going to Brisbane and I am looking for general advice regarding our impending move. (i.e. which movers to use, what is essential to take with to help the family settle quicker etc).

Getting really excited now but also nervous. :unsure:

Looking forward to meeting you all and getting to know you.

Welcome Tracy,

You will certainly get the info/advice you are looking for on this forum. There are many threads surrounding these topics.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the Forum. We are in Perth, so can't help with Brisbane-related info (all I know is that its practically another country and everyone there is nuts!!!)

Kidding, kidding! :-D

At the time when we left, we were being quoted R120 000 for a container!!! (As I understand it is definitely much less than that now). We did an inventory of all our stuff and realized that it could all be replaced for the same amount. Most of our furniture was Boardmans-type stuff and it had been well-loved by my cats who had once or twice mistaken it for a scratching post! Based on that, we came with just suitcases. We packed a few boxes of must-have stuff (which we later realized wasn't really that needed) and recently had them sent to us (after 3.5 years only) via U-bag. The boxes did arrive a bit lighter on this end.

Other than that, we don't have any experience with movers/shipping companies, but there are lots of people here who I am sure can help!

It does sound like you are nearing the end of your process, but, its very hard to tell. Some folks get their visas so fast while others wait years. Considering that your meds etc have been requested, its probably not long now though.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum.

You will certainly get the info/advice you are looking for on this forum. There are many threads surrounding these topics.

As per Rad there are many topics on this forum, regarding movers, how to transfer money, booking through IOM, etc..

Good luck!

Hi Tracy

Welcome!

We're also going to Brisbane, just got our visa two weeks ago, so we're in the same boat.

Heidi

HI Tracy and welcome aboard. I'm surprised your visa has taken so long for a 176. We lodged ours with DIAC 1 Feb and it was approved 13th April. We are going to SA though so perhaps that is why. It's exciting times to be sure. When did you send your medicals and PCC's in? Normally it only takes around 2weeks from the time they get the medicals and PCCs till the visa gets approved. That being said I think all the CO's are under extreme pressure right now with a flood of applications due to the pending changes.

When are you guys planning the big move? We are leaving December for Adelaide.

All the best. Do a hunt for removal companies etc. There are loads of posts about them..or ask questions under the other sections as well and people will answer.

Good luck

Welcome Tracy :)

All the best with this rollercoaster ride!!

Welcome, welcome !! Enjoy the adventure and the roller coaster ride, it's once in a lifetime !!

G'day Trace!

When it happens, it happens fast from what I've seen.

Life is in limbo for months, then you get the word and all hell breaks loose.

It will be hectic then, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Enjoy.

Hey everyone thanks for the warm welcome :)

and...............................

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

just heard our PR visa has been approved. Off to Brisbane beginning of November if all goes according to plan :santa:

Soooo much to do !!!!

Hey Tracey.

Congratulations, seems like things moved very quickly for you guys. We started on the 3 Feb this year and for reasons out of our grasp and control we are still waiting for the skills assessment to come back, I am hoping that things will move just as quickly.

Good luck with the preparations and move to Brisbane.

WELCOME!!!!

We have been in Brisbane for more than a year now and we LOOOOOVE it here!!!! We are about 20km's north of the cbd, we preferred north Brisbane to the south. You are welcome to pm me if you need advice or have questions. We have made heaps of Aussie and SA friends here :ilikeit: :ilikeit: My son and daughter have settled in very nicely and we are very happy - just enjoying the freedom, safety and being able to sleep with both eyes shut :closedeyes: We used Stuttaford van Lines and were very impressed with their service.

GOOD LUCK with everything and I hope to here from you soon, we can meet up when you get here if you like!!!

Archived