a year in oz and our move

Sean K

Hi All

We have been here in oz for a YEAR now and loving every min, I just wanted to share our move accross and a few things for people who are planning to move soon.

We made the big decision a while back but no matter how much i planned the whole move and sale of things came rather as a surprise after getting a offer of employment out of the blue , we planned every thing down to the last rand and had interviewed a few moving companies there are too many to name but in the end we decided to go with Magna movers as the had a offer of pack now and put into storage till settled and when ready for the del then make payment in full and things should take about a month or two.

Now as a start the packing was due to take a couple of hours, it took all day about 10 hours later and we were packed , not even a full container load, never the less all packed and off. the following week we were off in a plane and landed in oz, shortly after arriving the first letter of demand arrived asking for payment in full ??? after about a weeks worth of back and forward emails we had no option but to pay the now called packing and handelling fee, fast forward to october we made the full payment for the move and requested our goods.

Ok so its June now and we have recieved our container load, hmmm 2 months is aparently dependant on the positioning of the moon in relation to the sun, cause it took nearly 6 months to arrive and after all of that we have almost finninshed all the unpacking to find heaps missing and very selectivly aswell.

We overlooked the broken and damaged items and after the realy bad service and the rude and offensive emails and the lies but why take my most valuable tools an braai stuff lol,

long story short MAGNA MOVERS in my opion is a no no ....

Glad you are settled in well and enjoying it here! We have been here for 3.5 years and we LOVE it here - its our home.

Sorry to hear about your container experience - we got rid of everything and moved with just suitcases, but we did leave behind six boxes of things we felt we had to take to be sent to us later via U-bag once we were settled. We used six heavy-duty plastic boxes - we drilled holes around the lid edges and around the top of the boxes and secured the lid in place with cable-ties. Despite all that, "they" merely bashed the boxes open and took what they wanted.

So sorry this happened.

I have heard you need to choose a company that is fame accredited.

Thank you for letting us know.

OMW wow that is just terrible. So sorry you had to go through that sort of nonsense. Just reaffirms that you are in a better place it seems where customer service is actually customer service. Thanks for the heads up...

Gizmo - were your containers broken into while they were being transported by U bag?? I'm interested as my sister was also considering doing something like that with the plastic boxes...:-( What other alternative is there!?

Sean - I'm really sorry to hear you weren't happy with Magna, as we used them in Dec 2006 & they were great. It just goes to show how things change, & the importance of up to date info!

Gizmo - were your containers broken into while they were being transported by U bag?? I'm interested as my sister was also considering doing something like that with the plastic boxes...:-( What other alternative is there!?

Sean - I'm really sorry to hear you weren't happy with Magna, as we used them in Dec 2006 & they were great. It just goes to show how things change, & the importance of up to date info!

Yup. They were heavy duty black plastic boxes. It looked like they had been dropped from the plane mid-flight. Of course we don't know which end they were broken into, but, judging by how much stuff I order online here from the States and absolutely everything always arrives, I am pretty sure the sticky paws are on the South African end.

I Used u-bag 2 and a half years ago. I send boxes, Once U-bag collected the boxes they wrapped them in plastic. I had nothing missing.

We had our stuff sent via u-bag this year.

thanks all for the feed back, yes magna was a bad experience but at least we are here and agreed & customer service . sorry to hear about all that lost items thinking back it would have been better just to sell everything but we did sell what we could and kinda just brought what we did not feel was worth selling and a few keep sake thing pity some didi not make it.

see u all around

Archived