First time poster

Mewp

Hi all, just needed to get my 10c in and start contributing to this wonderful forum.

I got a letter of appointment from sister company last week, signed and sent it back. Now waiting for next step in 457 roller coaster.

Current employer is not happy with me leaving and is attempting to intervene with visa process. I cannot see how that is possible. One would think that after 15 years service they would be happy for our opportunity and give their support.

I can also understand there dilemma that there is a skills drain of extreme proportion out of SA. Very sad situation.

If all goes according to plan from my side, We should be in Brisbane by mid September.

Any feedback on if my current employer of the same company can influence my visa application,will be greatly appreciated (even when they originally agreed to my move to sister company).

welcome. I imagine only way your employer could influence is to refuse to confirm your employment with them?

Welcome to the forum, I hope your employer comes around - its just bitterness at losing you to Australia - you're becoming "another one".

Good luck with your plans.

He can't intervene in the actual visa process, the only thing I think he could do, if you are transferring within the same company, is to tell his seniors that he needs you to stay at current site and not at sister site.

I had the same situation when I came to Australia, the Company I worked for in RSA had no International opportunities but one of their sister Companies had! So I requested a transfer but they didn't want to do it cause they lost an employee and they had an agreement that no Sister companies are allowed to Head Hunt each others employees. Long story short it took some negotiations and talks at a high level and all was agreed.

As for the Visa, I don't think they can jeopardise it but there may be some clause as to changing of employees between sister companies!

Hope yours work out as well!

Good luck,

Welcome to the Forum! Good luck with the process.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I will have to play this out with charm and negotiations. Do not want to burn bridges or make enemies. Live is too short.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the ride and don't look back, it will all work out in the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick follow up. There was after all nothing to worry about. Visa was approved today, I still find it difficult to comprehend how fast and easy the process was. Thanks for support, will be in Brisbane in September.

Archived