Validating your visa & Centrelink

Guest May

Is it advisable for those validating their visas to have a checklist like registering with Centrelink and Medicare? Open a bank account if they have not already opened one online. I am not sure this has been covered in previous posts but I understand from a friend who travelled on SS to Canberra that they were greeted and well taken care of, they have been offered assistance to find accommodation and jobs. They did their Centrelink registrations and medicare and also tax. Is it advisable to get all the paperwork out of the way until you come back and stay? what happens if you dont come back........

Unless you have the address of a friend, you cannot register for a tax number, until you arrive to stay. I have no idea why anyone would want to register for tax, until they actually live here.

Opening a bank account, makes sense, as you can get your cards and use them, as well as being able to transfer your funds from RSA directly into your Aussie bank account. Make sure though that you do not have an account that has a monthly charge, as that could eat up the funds that you initially deposit.

I, for one, never registered with Centrelink as I had no plans of making use of any welfare payments, so did not see the need. As for their job hunting facility, I would never depend on that, it is not too great by any means!

If you are going to register for Medicare, then do so right at the beginning of your trip, because it takes them anything up to two weeks to send you your cards, you cannot collect them, so you will need an address to which they can send them.

Its not worth complete medicare and all those other things until you take up residence.

My sister in law registered for Medicare when she validated , eventually when my nephew took up residence, all the additional paper work that had to be supplied was an absolute nightmare. Effectively, you had to prove your intention to stay now!!!

Regading a tax file number, dont get one until you move over, otherwise you need to compelte return in Australia as well, please explain all over again.Centerlink is means tested , so you only do this when you take up your residence

You can only register at Centrelink anyway if you have kids, otherwise you need to wait 2 years from when your visa was granted

I would not register with Medicare until you take up permanent residence. You have a year from the date you register with Medicare to obtain medical insurance otherwise you will have an automatic loading for each year over 30. I also agree that you should only register for Tax when you here or you can register online just before you leave(if you have an address in Aus)

Tracy is right! Do not register for Medicare unless you are in the country and about to use it. It is a very expensive mistake to make, it will bite you in the bum!!

So, i am going on my own for the first 4 months or so, leaving mid july.

Do i only apply for medicare for myself, and can the other members of my family apply as they join me in Aus later on?

is there anything I need to be aware off with regard to medicare?

i am way over 30 by the way!!