Got the ball rolling!

Robz

After lurking for a while, I thought it was finally time to share my first post!

Took the tiniest first step today and got the kids passport photos! Since they are 1 and 3 I am quite proud of this achievement (although the 3 year old had to be bribed with a new Barbie school bag! Funnily enough the 1 year old actually sat perfectly on the chair by himself!)

Next stop home affairs for passports and unabridged birth certs.

So my first question - do both parents have to be present at home affairs to get the kids passports, or is Dad's signature on the form enough?

A bit about us: We live in Dirtbin by the Sea, and in both our jobs (academic, and insurance) are seeing things going downhill quite badly. At this stage I'm loathe to leave (ESPECIALLY since granny and grampa are both addicted to the grandkids and vice versa), but need to have my options open.

At this stage it's just a case of gathering all the paperwork, (which with 2 toddlers is proving to need some time management skills!).

Love browsing this forum, and could stay on it all night!

Hope to see some replies soon!

R

keep going you are on the right track!

Both parents do have to go to home affairs when you apply for the kids passport's.

Both parents do have to go to home affairs when you apply for the kids passport's.

Not essentially true..I applied for both of my kids passports without my hubby being there. But I had to have a certified copy of his ID with as well, and I also got a letter from him stating that he had no problems with me applying for the passports...but if I remember he had to sign the form as well so I got the forms, filled them in and then took all of that with. If you can all go, then do it, otherwise make sure you have all the information you could possibly need.

That being said...go for it. Even if you never leave, at least you will have the choice.

Good luck

If you can go without your hubby then good but it was easier for us to go all together than have an ID certified and written letter from him. We are very close to Edenvale home affairs and amazingly we were only there for 30 minutes from waiting to paying and we had the twins with us. Plus we did it twice. First applying for their passports then a few days later applying for their unabridged birth certificates as well as ours and our unabridged marriage certificate, which I am so glad we did ourselves as we saved thousands of rands.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. I think it's wise to take action and have an alternative option.....rather like a back up plan, but I suspect that once the idea is sown, as in thinking about leaving, and once you progress to a point where you actually apply for a visa, it will become more of a " want" than a " maybe".

Actually both parents needed to be there. Also one is not allowed to take the forms away to be filled at home. Filling of forms had to be done there. Seems like a schlepp but edenvale seems to be quite efficient so not long waiting times in the que.

Actually both parents needed to be there. Also one is not allowed to take the forms away to be filled at home. Filling of forms had to be done there. Seems like a schlepp but edenvale seems to be quite efficient so not long waiting times in the que.

I found the forms online, printed them and filled them in at home. This saved us even more time and they accepted all of them.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes sorry Robz, welcome to the forum (how rude of me).

Dear Deroche, it seems like they change things whenever.....according to Shona both parents didn't need to be there, with you- downloaded forms and filled out of their premises, me both forms could not be filled off their premises BUT the best thing that Robz can take from this is that the processing time at Home Affairs is actually not bad and so I guess that is the most important thing when going through beuarocracy.

Anyway again welcome Robz and I hope all goes smoothly with your application.

regards

RAD

Rad isnt it always like this.

Maybe they just let it slide sometimes.

I agree, but at least Robz can take all the info and decide from there.

RAD hehehehe..yip South Africa where things change on a daily basis. We have a satellite office near where we stay in Mondeor and that is where I applied so it was really quick. I walked in, got the forms, went back the following week and had no hassles. The woman even gave me her cell number and said to call her in x amount of time. She actually called me and told me all our passports were ready (we all had to get new one's). I was impressed I must say. We applied for my son's unabridged birth certificate with them as well. We had already done an application in Alberton which they conveniently could find no record of. Luckily we still had our slip so went to the satellite station with our slip and got it done as well. It's a nice surprise to see a government department that actually worked

Thanks guys!

Just to be on the safe side, I think my other half is just going to have to bite the bullet and join us for a morning at home affairs!

Had 2 seperate family members recently apply for passports at Durban home affairs and both times were pain-free, so let's hold thumbs!

Hi Robz & welcome

Also ex-KZN and ex-academicy... & miss them both every now and then.

Hi Robs

Welcome to the forum and congratulations with taking the first step in the right direction. No matter what never give up and do whatever it takes to get those visa's. On the grand parents thing. I am in the same boat with my mom. We broke the news to her over the weekend and she seemed to take it quite well. Her words to me were "you need to do what's best for your family, as long as I can still come and visit, it's ok." I was bowled over as I was not expecting that reaction. For your kids sake, this is the best thing you could do for them and their futures. Good luck with the journey and stick it out.

Welcome to the forum. I really hope your first step is the start of a great adventure!!! :ilikeit:

WRT the passport and parents. I think they change the rules as often as they change their underwear and apply it as randomly as people obey stopstreets here in SA :closedeyes:

Any case, better be safe than sorry – have both parents there and take a black pen to the office to complete the forms there. They normally do not allow the printed form and both parents have to be present (unless they apply whichever rule they want to, in which case you may not know which rule they apply on that day :blink: )

Good luck with the application and I really hope all goes well.

Well, I'm following the 100 steps thing so ...

Hello all.

We also started rolling the ball. I downloaded the Unabridged birth certificate form from www.home-affairs.gov.za and filled it in. Yeaaahhh - one down, 99 to go!

We live in Lydenburg - very happy, but are for uncertain reasons still guided to move to Aussieland - so we are taking it low and slow - but would like to move before end of the year or at most end of next year.

I have a friend down-under trying to find me a job. My husband works for Sandvik (Mining division), so we hope he can continue with Sandvik on the other side. I'm studying B.Ed, and have a Diploma in Architectural Drafting (Residential) - so any advice would be appreciated.

Our kids are 12 and 8, daughter and son.

We used to live in Taiwan for about 5 years altogether - so we know what it's like to live overseas. It was fun and an experience I wouldn't trade for anything, but the language barrier was huge.

Well, that's all for now.

Liesl

Hi and welcome! Getting the passport pics is your step number 2- step number 1 is the decision to leave! :-) Good luck with the process and happy travels on your new adventure!

Hey LieslHarvey

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the journey and enjoy the ride. :ilikeit:

Getting passports is easy - getting birth certificates is a pain in the bum.

Hi LiselHarvey

Welcome and all the best with the process and planing :)

Hi, welcome!

My passport was ready in less than 2 weeks, however still waiting for the marriage certificate 6 weeks and counting....

I am sure everything will work out for you, good luck with all the arrangements!

Welcome to the forum to BOTH of you. Good luck with the process. At times you will find it extremely challenging and might think that it's not worth it. It has taken nearly 4 years but we hopefully leave on the 3rd July. And it is SO worth it.

Hi Robz

We both had to be present to apply for passports. Rather both go just to be sure.

We're also ex-KZN'ers. Pietermaritzburg to be precise. We, like you, decided to apply for visas as a back-up option. I've been in Sydney for about 3 months now (hubby 4 and a bit months) and we're loving it. Best 'back-up' plan we've ever had :-)

Good luck with the process.

Archived