Birkdale & surrounds, any thoughts?

Caz

Hi all,

I am happy to report that we are loving our new life in Australia & particularly Brisbane.

I have started house hunting for rental accommodation with serious gusto. We are currently staying in the company sponsored accommodation in the CBD. I have gone on a few inspections now and must admit that I fancy Birkdale. Our requirements are that we need to be relatively close to primary schools and rail stations. My husband would prefer to use the train to get his job in the CBD.

Any thoughts on Birkdale or recommendations for other suburbs that fit our requirements?

Many thanks

Chantell

The train time from there is quite long. The liner loops up to the port before going into the city.

Hi all,

I am happy to report that we are loving our new life in Australia & particularly Brisbane.

I have started house hunting for rental accommodation with serious gusto. We are currently staying in the company sponsored accommodation in the CBD. I have gone on a few inspections now and must admit that I fancy Birkdale. Our requirements are that we need to be relatively close to primary schools and rail stations. My husband would prefer to use the train to get his job in the CBD.

Any thoughts on Birkdale or recommendations for other suburbs that fit our requirements?

Many thanks

Chantell

Hi Chantell, I guess your requirements of living near primary schools and a train station could see you living almost anywhere around Brisbane. Is there anything in particular that you like about it that made you pick a place far away from the city? With more requirements I could try and think of some options for you if you like...

• Like 1

Thanks Fish,

Not too fussy, just saw some houses in Birkdale that we liked - unfortunately no success to date. I also like Manly quite a lot but other than that we are rather open to any child friendly neighbourhood, although as stated my husband would prefer making use of public transport due to the price of parking in the CBD.

We bought a vehicle this weekend so at least now I'm much more mobile for inspections!

I have send you a personal message.

Hi all,

Many thanks

Chantell

Thanks Fish,

Not too fussy, just saw some houses in Birkdale that we liked - unfortunately no success to date. I also like Manly quite a lot but other than that we are rather open to any child friendly neighbourhood, although as stated my husband would prefer making use of public transport due to the price of parking in the CBD.

We bought a vehicle this weekend so at least now I'm much more mobile for inspections!

Not too fussy just means I have the whole of Brisbane to pick from and I would just end up picking my favourite suburbs rather than the ones that suit you best :) The inner west of Brisbane is best imo and has the best schools but your criteria could make it unsuitable? How is it going?

Also look at Carindale, between Birkdale and the city. It is an upmarket suburb (a little more expensive than Birkdale) and with a good choice of schools. Belmont primary is in Carindale and one of the top state schools in Queensland. You also have City Point Christian Outreach Centre (bordering on Carindale) that caters for both primary and secondary (a popular school with Saffers and many teachers are from SA).

From the big bus depo at Carindale shopping centre it takes 20 minutes into town by bus. A lot shorter than by train from Birkdale). In saying that, I have a friend who lives in Birkdale (her husband travels by train into the city every day) and they are very happy. Their daughter went to Ormiston college and they love the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice.

We ended up in Mackenzie, which means that my husband benefits from using the express bus to the CBD. The bus stop is less than 500m from our house.

My son is currently in the local state school. I am still not certain about this decision though and will have to evaluate once the new term starts and the parent / teacher meetings take place.