Getting our ducks in a row

newbeginings

Hi Forum members,

Reading all the posts and replies really makes you feel that this can be done! So much knowledge,

experience and support.

We have also decided to leap at a stable future for our family. Sooo.....Aus here we come!

Regarding the application for a visa: My research into vacancies show that there are numerous office management posts even in the govt sector. I don't have a qualification in this line but I do have more than 3yrs experience. I have the info and application form for the skills assesment and what they require.

What I would like to know is do I have to apply for the skills assesment independently before I can apply for a visa (I thought to apply for govt/territory sponsored skills migration), or do I first have to apply for the govt visa and then they request the skills assesment?

We are hoping for WA as I have family there, but would be prepared to work anywhere where they need us. We feel that two years isn't such a sacrifice, as you can pick and choose where you want to be after the period is completed.

Feel free to correct any wrong assumptions.

First of all, congratulations on the decision to do this.

As for the skills assessments, as I understand it you will need to do this before applying for the visa as well as the IELTS english test. For the 175 and 176SS (State Sponsorship) you will need to choose an occupation from the SOL (Skills Occupation List which can be found on http://www.immi.gov.au with a quick search for SOL) and have you occupation assessed by the relevant authority which is listed on the SOL as well. Some of the skills authorities (like the Australian Computer Society) do skills assessments based on recognition of prior learning but you will have to do some research on your chosen occupation on the SOL. Your other options of course are to try and get an employer to sponsor you for which you will also need a skills assessment or alternatively if you've got family there to get them to sponsor you.

You also need to be aware that the legislation is changing on 1 July 2012 which will make things slightly harder to get in. Search on http://www.immi.gov.au for SkillsSelect.

Hope this helps and anyone please feel free to correct any incorrect facts.

Hi, welcome to the forum and all the best with your application. Please note that there are major changes from 1 July 2012 regarding visa application process for Oz. From the sounds of things it sounds like you are just starting out, therefore you are going to fall into the new visa process. I would suggest your familize yourself with this and the following website will provide you with some good answer on this as a starting point. http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2012/05/14/busting-the-myths-about-skillselect/

Welcome to the Forum! Gool luck with the journey - it is well worth it!

Thanx for the tips.

Checked out the new process. We will definately not get our apps in before the new system kicks in.

But I don't think it is a bad thing. This way you get exposed to employers hunting for candidates that they are be prepared to sponsor.

Welcome, good luck with your journey :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. I found this forum only after our visa was granted but it is of such great help whether you are starting the application process or settled in Oz. Good luck on this journey.

Welcome to the forum! You are in the right company now! :ilikeit:

We made the leap many moons ago so unfortunately my knowledge of skills assessments, etc is so outdated, I'd be a danger to society if I dare comment! :grads:

Good luck for the road ahead. It's very scary and VERY frustrating at times, but hang in there! :ilikeit:

Archived