Landing in Melbourne - Aug 2012

RAD

Hello

I am new to the forum and been lurking for the past few days. It has been of great help to me with our impending relocation to Melbourne this year, that I decided to join.

Since you have been of such great help to me, I thought I should mention "the move cube".

I was looking around for a removal company to suit my needs and thanks to this forum I came across Seven Seas. I checked their website and found the move cube. I called and chatted with a lady called Donna. The move cube is apparently fairly new to South Africa. My move from joburg to Melbourne will be the first to Australia. From my reading through this forum some people have also decided to sell most furniture and buy on the other side. However the things I want to take will be too much for just airfreight but too little for a container. I have found that the Move Cube is just right( she said feeling like Goldilocks - lol). I thought I should let this forum know that this service from Seven Seas is now available to Oz. Hope this has been helpful.

Thanks RAD

You are an angel, I just decided on Melbourne myself and in love with the decision. and I am not taking much so this is ideal. Better than sharing a container.

Dear May

I am so glad this helps cos I thought it is such a great idea and of course I needed to share it

:ilikeit:

Thanks for sharing, we may just look at using something like this.

Thanks, gonna look into them as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

How did you guys decide what to take with and what to sell? Will our queen size bed with side tables (uhm... not sure what is a "bedkassie" in Eng, ), with dressing table fit into the average rental house in Melbourne? And What about the dinner table with side board etc... What type of stuff is not worth taking, i.e. fridge, freezer, tumble dryer, washing mashine, food processor / other kitchen stuff - cutlery, crockery, pots & pans... sheets, towels, duve's, curtains, I guess clothes can take a lot of space.

A few tips from people who did their home work / can speak from experience will be appreciated. I tried to get prices from Harvey Norman website,but furniture prices are not displayed.

Thank you,

Philna

Hi Philna

Let's take this from the top. It all depends when your container will arrive in Melbourne. Furnished accommodation is expensive, therefore you are better off getting an unfurnished rental home as soon as possible. The only problem now is the fact that you do not have any furniture to put into the rental. You have two options, either you can rent the necessary bits that you need OR, you decide to not bring your bed and buy a new one here, or you decide to buy a new bed for your guest room here and sleep on that until your container arrives. I may add that Australian queensize beds are 15cm longer than the RSA equivalent. So if you do decide to bring your bed, then bring enough fitted sheets as the local ones will not fit. You can survive for a few weeks camping out. Lets say you decide not to bring your garden furniture, then you can buy it here and whilst camping out, you have a diningroom table and chairs to sit on. You may want to buy a TV when you arrive, so take that into account. Then you will need a couple of pots and pans and some plates and cutlery. Not sure how many in the family but you can buy a set of 4 of each crockery for around $15 from KMart.

Curtains, do not bother, unless you are really attached to them. If they are heavy curtains, fully lined, you may well have a problem using them here, unless you build a house and specifically ensure that the pelmets can screw into timber. All houses, rental and purchase, come with their window coverings. All rental houses have ovens and cooktops, some have dishwashers as well. All your other stuff will work here, so if they are in good condition then bring them, however, if they are reaching the end of the line it will not be worth it. I do believe shippin a 20ft container these days would cost about R60,000 plus insurance. Well that is about AU$7,500. If you have expensive furniture, then you will not replace it in Australia for that amount. A good all leather lounge suite from a reputable store would cost you anything from $3000 to $8000.

As far as your furniture fitting into your rental home, it all depends on where you are going to rent. If it is inner Melbourne, where you find mostly old homes, the answer is probably not. If, however, you rent further out where there are mostly new homes, the answer is probably yes, as the rooms are usually a lot bigger. For instance, we live in a home we built ourselves seven years ago and my diningroom table is 2,6m x 1,5m and seats 12 with two display cabinets and a dressing table. I don't live in a palace, just an ordinary family home, but a newish one.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much, it helps a lot. :)

Regards,

Philna

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Philna, we brought a 12 seater 3 metre long dining room table and this restricted our rental options somewhat, beware the odd size furniture! Having said that though - you won't believe the lekker extended lunches we have around this table with friends and family! (We had the benefit of staying with family for a few weeks that gave us time to carefully select the right rental property.)

Our container arrived 6 weeks after we moved into the rental and we therefore purchased the following items in Aus: fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster, beds, camping chairs, sofa beds and bean bags (very useful in rumpus room), basic pots and pan set, cutlery and crockery sets from Kmart and camped out until the day the container arrived! Don't underestimate the comfort of having that familiar furniture around you to assist in settling in!

My advice is if you are taking a container, then take everything you can get into it. You can replace over time, but what you don't want when you first arrive is the pressure of having to find new furniture. I have found it really pays to watch the prices for a while before you buy something, the prices can fluctuate by large amounts.

We have some furniture which may be a bit big for our rental, but it's okay.

Archived