Advice, suggestions, help would be enormously appreciated.

Claudia haycocks

Hey there all, it's been a while since I've been on here. Made it to Oz, 3 months in and truthfully cannot say it's been the easiest of journeys. I finally isolated and decided the word that best described how I felt, was a total sense of 'unfamiliarity'. A real challenge it's been, and so it continues. We currently find ourselves in quite a predicament, humbling I guess would fit here.

So our latest predicament, is in relation to the job front. Hubby managed to secure a job as a 2IC within a local tyre outlet within 2 weeks of being here. He was put onto a 3 mnth probationary period and d day arrived on Friday morning bright and early. 3 mnths of hard work and he's been told he's employment is going to be terminated as of the beginning of June. The news hit us like a ton of bricks because, I guess although you're aware that you're on a probation, all had looked good, nothing had gone seriously awry, nothing to precipitate the outcome. That said we were aware that this particular company was struggling, but was one of many of the same business. Again a fair amount of internal politics ( that threw me, but then again I am somewhat gullible. I always believed everyone played fair out here, but hey business is business and can be ruthless) Anyway, I guess our plain stupidity and complacency has landed us in the position. So much for all my organization!!!

So picking up pieces as best we can and I guess this a query in relation to any possibilities. We're on PR visa's. Hubby is an Auto Electrician by trade, however although he had extensive work experience (approximately 15yrs), for the last 10, he managed a Tyre Re-treading Factory. He holds trade papers, but no managerial, that was exclusively experience. Resume's all reworked when we first arrived, covering letters adapted as per application requirements, endless handed out, dropped off in person and the process begins again in earnest. Mining possibilities have crossed our minds. Oh and of course we've scoured the job sites and continue to do so. Anyone....suggestions, advice, many thank you's in advance.

Edited by Claudia haycocks
  • Like 1

Shame Claudia, it seems like you are going through a rough time! The only advice I can give is to look at larger Metropolitan areas like Melbourne or Sydney where there are more opportunites.

Good luck!!

Sorry to hear about your situation - really hope that the right opportunity comes along soon. Good luck.

yes my advice would be to try bigger cities, and also not to limit yourselves to any particular area.

the advantage of a bigger place is that you can 'move jobs' without 'moving house/pack up your life'

also I would try and get some honest feedback from the employer if thats possible - there may be something you can improve on.

all the best - hope it all works out well for you guys

e

Hey all, so many thank you's for all your advice and suggestions. I wish in a way our thinking had been a little on the broader side in relation to choice of places to begin with, but when the whole of Aus if put before you, how do you really know where to start. We'd done a fair amount of research and then, Adelaide had seemed the most promising in terms of lower cost of living expenses, job prospects, housing & schools. Little did we realize at the time how difficult job prospects would in fact be with very limited paper work. It's certainly not specifically for lack of jobs per se, but our skills certainly don't fulfill the criteria required. Both our skills are needing serious upgrading asap, but all a vicious cycle, all requiring money which clearly needs to be earn't first. Yeah larger Metropolitan areas should certainly have been our initial choice, as you say E, you'd be less likely to have to consider packing up your life all over again, as if the first time wasn't hard nor costly enough. Our considerations are certainly moving towards larger cities, mining industry etc. Sibella, Bazil & Liezl, many thank you's for well wishes, I'm sure something will work out, largely because it just has to, and we have commitments, we're certainly not incapable, just lacking in paper work and certain skills. Phew thank God we don't have any hectic outgoing expenses other than living, can you just imagine :o ? So we may be as poor as church mice, but don't owe anyone anything!!! E again your advice on queries in relation to honest feedback, is a definite, that said I really don't think there were problems with hubs work, simply the company unable to commit to hiring hubby permanently an additional expense. A small outlet (mistake no. 1), huge staff turnovers (mistake no. 2), last in first out, and another of the employees currently being relocated. Perhaps we're wrong, so will look to investigating a little further to see if and what areas could be improved on. Again thank you all, I realize no one can sort out our issues for us, just good to know we're being rooted for. Take care and grand week to you all :)

A further thought, anyone able to share any info / advice on Apprenticeships, who offers them, are they restricted to particular fields of work, how they actually work, any handy links. Again, thank you's in advance.