Most effective tool for finding a job

monsta

9 members have voted

1. 1. Most effective tool to find a job?

• Applying on job hunting sites
    • Using Linkedin
    • Registering with recruitment agencies
    • Applying directly to companies who post jobs on their websites
    • Networking
    • Getting Australian work experience

Hi Guys,

I know everyone's story of how they found a job is different... but I am curious to know what the forumites found was the best way to land interviews.

I am going to assume you used these tools from Australia. Applying from overseas is a whole other situation.

Cheers

I personally found agencies a waste of time - staffed with 20 something university graduates who's role appeared to be to look good rather than actually recruit, they often seemed clueless as to what your skills actually meant in terms of the role and unable to explain what the role actually was more than what you had read on the job ad. Seems a whole lot more is done via personal contact and through company direct recruiting. I would assume if you are a member of a professional organisation then that would also go towards helping you get a job.

We did not use all of them and I am interested to see how many people use linkedIn well as I did not use that at all and maybe should do as OH will be looking again soon re his initial contract ends soon?

In Oz we used

Job hunting sites like SEEK and a variety of others (some interviews)

Applying directly to jobs advertised on company websites (some interviews)

Registering with recruitment agencies (nothing at all)

Linked in is GOLD for finding jobs

Linked in is GOLD for finding jobs

Thanks for that - I will have to twist OHs arm to put himself out there!

Do you have to be active on it - ie do most people use it to contact people in their line and ask if they have jobs - or do people just as easily contact you?

It depends on your industry, if you are in a industry where they head hunt, then fill in your details and they will come to you, if not then you will need to do the work

The biggest benefit to looking for jobs this way is that you end up talking to the actual person, so you can ask what to improve if you don't get it, or at least get more insight to help going forwards

Archived