Been doing this a while but new to the forum

Alde1

Hi,

I've been slowly getting everything in place and I finally got my visa.

I have a question about the actual visa itself. Its a 175 visa and I have a grant number.

Do I need to get a physical copy of the visa in my passport? Since I am traveling with my wife and 3 kids the quote I got is over R500 and I've heard this may not be necessary. On the other hand, I don't want to waste my tickets on a silly thing like not having the actual visa in my passport.

Thanks,

Allen

I believe there is no need to have it put in your passport anymore although our agents advised that we should rather JIC. It's R92 per passport for evidencing. My dh went to VFS on Friday and was in for 5min. Takes a week. You just need to take in the copy of the visa letter.

I read it off somewhere that you don't need to have a sticker on your passport. I can't remember where exactly though. I'll try and remember and post you a link if I can. My advice however would be to get the sticker if there is an option to. That way you will have peace of mind and it better to be safe than sorry anyway.

Hi,

My wife and i came over with 457 visa's, the visa's were electronic so nothing in our passports, we printed out a copy from the approval email but didnt need it at customs this side, no problems

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

While it may not be neccessary from a customs point of view, I have had to provide a photo copy of the passport page with the visa in numerous times - at the bank, when I took a car loan, when my son was born etc etc

All of those times they wanted the passport, not a grant letter.

Welcome to the forum

We have a 176 - its electronic no need for it to be evidenced in your passport.

We did get it put in the passport after arriving in Melbourne (free took 15 mins in DIAC local offices) but we have not needed to use it for anything so far (arrived July 2011) - I have once provided someone with a copy of the grant letter.

I think the main reason people get it put in is in case they have probelms getting onto the plane and having to explain to someone who has not been trained properly? In the past sometimes RSA officials have asked to see a copy of your visa (if a airline lets you on without a visa they can be fined) but I have not heard of anyone having problems recently.

We were never even asked to show any visa evidence - JBurg or Sydney it was just in the system.

Archived