Just Arrived In Canberra!

Bots4

Hi there, my husband and I have just arrived in Canberra with our two children aged 5 and 2. My husband is a school teacher and has a position with the ACT Dept of Education and has been placed as a classroom teacher at Caroline Chisholm. He is finding it very different to say the least, coming from a private school background in Botswana and SA. I was hoping for any advise on good schools etc for my little boy who is in kinde. Its all quite overwhelming and i am not sure where to start. Am feeling very lonely and quite homesick to be honest!!

Thanks very much

Hi there

Well done on your arrival! I cant comment on kindy schools, Im not there yet, but good luck with everything. I wish you well. The lonely feelings are normal, I even felt them when I was on LSD, the mere idea is overwhelming.

My advice would be not to be alone all the time, get together with the people on this forum, and the CCC (Canberra Coffee Club), as soon as possible.

Enjoy your journey!

Please take some photos of Canberra and post them :) Would love to see what its like.

Lots of great schools arround .... Consider birndebella Christian College .... www.bcc.act.edu.au/ .... My boys 6 and 3 attend the school ....

Hi Bots4

Welcome to Canberra! I'm sorry I can't advise on schools as we don't have kids. However, I can assure you that things do settle down and once you get to know your way around and make some friends, life will start to take a big turn for the better.

I hope you'll join us at the next Triple C get together (Canberra Coffee Club). Please join the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/canberracoffeeclub/

Notifications are posted on there with dates and times of the events. I started the Triple C because I wanted to widen our social circle a bit. WOW! We have met some really amazing people! You might also want to register (if you aren't already) with the Live In Canberra group run by the ACT government - they hold some fabulous activites where we also met some lovely people. http://www.liveincanberra.com.au/

Where are you staying? Maybe we can get together for a coffee sometime. Just send me a PM.

• Like 1

Hi bots4,

Congratulations on your arrival in Oz. We are expecting to be in Canberra mid-September.

I am a teacher too and am trying at the moment to register with TQI. Did your hubby manage to get a

Teaching job from SA? That is really awesome, I think a lot of us arrive jobless.

I have met so many wonderful supportive friends on this form, it won't take long before you find your feet.

Hopefully one day we will meet at the Canberra coffee club!

Hang in there!

Keglin

• Like 2

Hi Bots4

From another Maritzburger, welcome to Canberra. Where in Canberra have you settled?, depends where you have settled as to where you want the kids to go to school. It is very daunting and those first few weeks can be lonely, but the secret is go out and meet people, get to know your area.

Hi Bots

My girls are 5 and 2. If you feel like having a playdate please let me know and I'll be happy to arrange one :)

• Like 1

Hi. We've been here nearly 3 weeks and are loving it. Would you like to meet up. My kids are 8 and 4. Go Catholic / Christian school or private. We've had a great experience with these schools. Hope this helps

• Like 1

HI Bots and Macarat,

Welcome to Canberra as has been said above join the Triple C and come and meet us.

We have 3 kids and have been in Canberra just over 3 months and love it we live down South in Tuggeranong - Kambah, my kids go to Namadgi School it is the new super school and this is the 2nd year it is open it goes from Pre-school to Grade 8 this year and will in 2 years time go to grade 10 as the kids move up.

Please feel free to contact me for coffee as I work from home so my hours are flexible. We have another new couple arriving from SA in June to stay with us, so you are not alone there is a HUGE group of Saffers in ACT.

Please feel free to ask if you need ANYTHING even if you just want coffee.

Tania

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - we are heading for Canberra in Dec 2012 - any suggestions of furnished accomodation for our initial stay? What did you guys move into - on arrival?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi thank you everyone for your replies and advice, I have managed to get my little one into a private christian school and he finally seems to be settling in. I have not managed to get onto the forum for a while and have had so much going on. So far we have not met a single South African, we will join the Canberra Coffee Club, need to get out and about and meet and talk to some familiar people!!!

Hi - we are heading for Canberra in Dec 2012 - any suggestions of furnished accomodation for our initial stay? What did you guys move into - on arrival?

Hi there, we stayed with my husbands aunt in Sydney before we moved to Canberra, I got onto the website allhomes.com and looked for places to rent in our price range and the dates that they were available. We then came through to Canberra for the day and saw some properties, we put in an application to rent one of them and were approved, so moved straight into our own place in a few days. Am not too sure about furinished accomodation ... sorry. Hope all goes well with your move.

Hey Bots4,

What school did you get your child into? If it is BCC then there are LOTS of saffers there. The next "Triple C" Canberra Coffee Club is in 1 July at Mount Ainslie. There will be whole lot of us there as well as a new couple who landed this week and have moved up to Amaroo.

I did PM you my contact number in case you need anything. Or just a friendly chat.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

T