Working outside Melbourne - IT

sp4rkman

Hi all,

Our Victoria State Sponsorship was approved last week and everything has now been submitted to DIAC.

We've been doing a lot of research into Melbourne as this is where everyone expects you to go. However, how many people settled outside of Melbourne? If so, where?

I work in IT and wondered if there was IT work elsewhere in the State? I understand Melbourne is my best bet but we're looking to avoid the rat race, the traffic and crowds. Our move to Australia was to find a better life and be able to spend more time as a family. Melbourne looks lovely, but it's a big city after all.

I hope to hear from you.

Jonathan

I cannot directly answer you question, but I have a suggestion.

Set up a search using seek.com.au for regional Victoria. Make sure Geelong is included, as I have seen a fair number of very nice positions advertised there and it seems to be much less 'city' than Melbourne. I am not sure where you would draw the line between what you would see as city or rural.

IT is a hugely wide field. What do you do? I am pretty sure even the most rural town needs somebody that can fix a printer and show the new secretary the difference between Word and Excel, but the same town would possibly not need an Oracle DBA.

You are right Melbourne is huge. But that also means that you've got a wide variety of places to live. We live in Outer Eastern Melbourne, 30 mins drive / 40 mins on the train from Melbourne city but in a beautiful rural like area. On my way to school to drop the kids off I see horses, llamas, rabbits, cows... Lots of hills and trees.

But then also close to 3 major shopping centers and a myriad things to see and do. We love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else.

If you are able to catch a train to the city you won't really be dealing with traffic and crowds. Also compared to England (we also lived there) Melbourne sometimes seems virtually empty to me, depending where you go!

You are right Melbourne is huge. But that also means that you've got a wide variety of places to live. We live in Outer Eastern Melbourne, 30 mins drive / 40 mins on the train from Melbourne city but in a beautiful rural like area. On my way to school to drop the kids off I see horses, llamas, rabbits, cows... Lots of hills and trees.

But then also close to 3 major shopping centers and a myriad things to see and do. We love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else.

If you are able to catch a train to the city you won't really be dealing with traffic and crowds. Also compared to England (we also lived there) Melbourne sometimes seems virtually empty to me, depending where you go!

Thanks Sibella. Quite reassuring. If you dont mind me asking, what suburb are you in so we can take a look at properties etc?

We are about 15 min from the CBD by train.

There are parks and the beach is relatively close (5-10 min) - although no fields this far in.

The rush hour traffic is awful but the trains are fine although the recent timetable does usually have my OH standing in rush hour but we are quite close in.

We will probably move a bit further out later this year but it is more a cost issue - we will get more for our money if we move further away.

When you arrive also try getting somewhere fore 6 months lease rather than the year - we found quite a few landlords were up for that.

Garrick on here works in IT (lives on the East) - he might be able to give you an idea of the wider strech of IT opps around Melbourne.

I think much of the IT is in the centre or between St Kilda and the city. There is some high rise business around that area.

Google maps satellite view is really useful for looking at neighbourhoods. Plus domain and realestate for looking at rentals and what you might get for your money.

It does not feel crowded - I have also lived in the UK and really hated going into London.

We live in Wonga Park which is great. Other nice areas around here are Croydon North, Croydon Hills, Warranwood, North Ringwood, Park Orchards and Warrandyte. Warrandyte is the most rural of the lot, beautiful and right at the river, very arty with lovely little cafes and shops, although there is a bushfire risk and properties are quite expensive.

The others are more suburban while Wonga Park is a mixture of suburban and farmland. But even in suburbia there are hidden gems, we have a small park right next to our house, then within walking distance is Croydon Hills with a beautiful little lake with ducks and amazing birdlife. I only found it after about six months as it was quite hidden.

Lots of reserves and places to go for walks. Let me know if you need any more information.

Do have a look at Sunbury in the North West, it is a lovely village, 40 minutes by train to the city.

Useful page for me also. We are looking at moving - OHs work will be linked with IT probably.

We are 15 mins form the CBD (in the south /west) - but OH has to get across the city so it takes him 30-40 minutes total to get to North Melbourne train station.

We are looking at the East and North.

Unfortunately his 1 year contract finishes at the same time so we don't know where he will be working next!

We will settle at some point ;-)

Archived