Kangaroo Bobotie Recipe

g26130

I've had problems cooking kangaroo. The meat is lean. At restaurants they're only cooked rare and have a strong gamey taste. I've tried cooking kangaroo a few times and most have been epic failures. Kangaroo Bobotie is my second success. (My first being Kangaroo Goulash) The original recipe comes from Rainbownation

Bobotie recipe

The origins of Bobotie can be traced back to the eastern influence on South African culture. The Cape Malay society are famous for cooking this dish and it is usually served with yellow rice.

Ingredients

1 kg diced kangaroo

125ml milk

1 thick slice of white bread, crust removed and soaked in milk

2 roughly chopped onions butter

Salt

1 tablespoon of curry powder (mix the hot and the Cape Malay versions for a good flavour)

1 chili, finely chopped (optional and only if you like your food quite hot)

½ cup vinegar

1 tablespoon of lemon juice

1 teaspoon of brown sugar

1 tablespoon of chutney

8 -10 crushed almonds (optional)

3 eggs

1 clove of garlic, crushed and finely chopped

6 bay leaves

1 orange, sliced in wheels

1 lemon, sliced in wheels

Oil for cooking

Instructions on how to make it

Heat the oil in frying pan and add the garlic, onion and curry power. Cook over medium heat for three minutes, then add the mince meat. Fry until the meat is almost done, then using your hands, squeeze the milk from the bread. Discard the milk and add the bread, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and chutney to the mince. Fry for a minute or so and then remove from heat.

Take a pie dish and place three bay leaves, two wheels of orange and two wheels of lemon at the bottom. Now scoop the mince mixture into the dish. Decorate the sides of the dish with the rest of the lemon and orange wheels, wedging them between the mince and the sides of the dish so that only a third protrudes. If you are using almonds, push them into the mince. Beat the eggs and 125ml milk, and pour over the meat. Put three bay leaves on top of dish. Place the dish uncovered in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes at 160 deg Celsius.

Serve with a plain green salad or chopped tomato and onion, sprinkled with a little vinegar. Make sure you have some chutney near at hand. Serve piping hot with the yellow rice.

• Like 1

I am also using kangaroo in bobotie and very much enjoy it.

I have never made it with the orange lemons or almonds - interesting. I have stuck the odd banana in a bobotie as I like the fruity taste of the chutney. I will have to give the citrus fruits a try.

I can also recommend kangaroo in chilli con carne. Again the other strong flavours assist with the strong gamey taste of kangaroo.

I don't mind the gamey taste and I do use it in spag bol and other mince dishes (I like the fact that it does not have fat) but you are well aware it is not mince.

• Like 1

We grill the plain (unmarinated) steaks to medium and have it pretty much every week. Just love it. I tried a piece of kangaroo biltong at Springbok Delights last week and it was seriously good. But then, I am a big fan of ostrich biltong and like my biltong dry and lean.

• Like 1