Finding rental

Keglin

Hi everyone,

I know I am basically asking how long is a piece of string but..........

How long did it take you all to find and secure a rental property?

We are basically trying to figure out how long we would need a short term furnished place. Wow it seems to be really expensive and we are hoping that a month would be long enough. We also hope that by arriving in September we will find a place more easily than arriving at the end of the year. We are not too worried about our furniture as we will be sending it ahead of time so it will be there by end of Oct. Well that is the plan if it all works out accordingly.

Also does anyone have any recommendations. I have done a bit of research. We want to be in the North as we have seen some schools we like there!

Thank you and can't wait to join you for a triple C.

Keglin

Hi Keglin

Exciting times ahead for you! We arrived in mid-November and had the company apartment for two weeks. It was plenty time for me to find a rental. However, having said that, it was the fourth time we'd moved in Aus, so I knew how the system worked and wasn't rushing around sorting out schools, Medicare or tax file numbers.

I discovered a website called AllHomes (www.allhomes.com.au) which is the go-to place for rentals here in Canberra. Not a great userfriendly site like www.realestate.com.au, but it definitely has more rental properties on offer.

I reckon if you give yourself 3 weeks in a furnished rental, you'll be fine. Remember that the sooner you find that rental, the sooner you can enroll the kids in school (unless you're going private). I'm sure it was Cramer who had a really good recommendation of cheap accommodation from when he first arrived. Perhaps you could send him a PM and ask.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Triple C later in the year. :-) It's a pity you weren't here for the last one - meeting some welcoming, friendly faces may have helped to calm some of your fears. It'll all work out fine, you'll see.

Thanks Mrs M.

Have to say I have Spent ages looking at the all homes site, dreaming and wishing......

Keglin

Took me about 3 weeks, but then I was also looking for accommodation that would take my pets.

Archived