Why Antibiotics Can Be a Health Risk

MrsMupersan

In light of a recent post by a forum member looking for an ex-Saffer doctor who would prescribe her child antibiots when the Aussie (probably quite correctly) would not, here is an article which appears in today's Canberra Times.  It explains that antibiotics aren't a cure all for every cough and splutter.  They do NOT cure any viral infection.  Also interesting are the reader comments - quite a few from doctors and their receptionists.

http://www.canberrat...0419-1xa34.html

"NEARLY 100 years after antibiotics were discovered, a study has found most Australians are confused about when they should take them and how they work.

And this ignorance could be putting our health at risk, doctors say, with deadly superbugs on the increase because of our inappropriate use of the drugs.

A study by the National Prescribing Service found four out of five Australians expect to be given antibiotics for ear, nose, throat or chest infections.

Advertisement: Story continues below

The chief executive of the service, Lynn Weekes, said many such infections were viral, so antibiotics did not help them, or they would resolve independently anyway.

"The infections are probably caused by the same bug as a cough or cold but when it seems more severe or they feel a bit sicker people are thinking an antibiotic might be the right thing," she said.

The study of more than 1000 people found half of them didn't know stopping taking antibiotics before the course was finished contributed to antibiotic resistance.

Only about 40 per cent knew antibiotics do not work on viruses, and even fewer knew that if antibiotics were taken for viruses they could help create drug-resistant bugs.

"If you use antibiotics haphazardly the community suffers, but what we now know is the individual will suffer as well," Dr Weekes said.

Research showed people who took unnecessary antibiotics were less likely to respond to them over the following 12 months.

In the past, antibiotic-resistant bugs were mostly seen in hospitals, but they was now spreading through the community. One particularly virulent strain, ST93-MRSA-IV, had been picked up in Queensland in 2003 but now accounted for more than half of NSW golden staph superbugs.

''It's quite a nasty bug,'' Dr Weekes said. ''It causes abscesses and bad pneumonia''.

Countries that had reduced antibiotic use had seen a decrease in resistance.

"It's clear that the amount of antibiotics you use is related to the amount of resistance you have, so it's a very direct relationship,'' Dr Weekes said.

Prescribing Service data showed Australians' antibiotics use was above the OECD average, with 40 per cent of people taking them in the past 12 months."

• Like 3

Interesting read thanks!

Ugh! I get so angry when I have a common cold / flu and go to a doctor (to get a sick note) and the first thing he does is give me antibiotics! It's a viral infection numnuts, antiobiotics are for bacteria! I never collect it from the pharmacy, waste of money.

• Like 3

When living in South Africa I used to be on antibiotics often, either for bladder infections which I got regularly or bad cold / flu. The same with my kids.

When we moved to the UK I quickly realized that they would not give antibiotics and it upset me at first. Now after 5 years out of South Africa I've only been prescribed antibiotics once (we were flying to South Africa and I was afraid I would get worse on the flight) but I didn't take them.

I think the continued antibiotic use lowered my immune system, and it's much stronger now. I now take cranberry tablets for bladder infection and haven't had one in years.

I realized the only way to recover from flu is plenty of rest and liquids, not easy with kids but that's what it takes. Also in the UK if you are sick you stay home. My husband never took a day of work in South Africa, even if he was ill. In the UK if he was ill he stayed home, the same with kids (this was the done thing, same here).

But it takes some getting used to!

Edited by Sibella
  • Like 2

I feel guilty whenever I take a sick day here in SA... so that's not really the idea in UK/Au?

We stopped taking Antibiotics years ago for the same reason, Doctors back in RSA we to quick to prescribe them and if you were not sure which one he/she was going to prescribe you just had to look on his desk and at what pen he was using, Guaranteed it was the one from the company with that branding.

Our eldest when he was younger went through a stage for about a year where he got what they refer to as creche fever, in and out of hospital, poked with needles because they were not sure of the cause. A different antibiotic each week. Until we said enough, that and other circumstances led to us losing a lot of faith in the medical system and the trust we put in doctors. So we changed our lifestyles, more importantly our diets and have not looked back.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd search for this topic and give a little update...

I also believe that antibiotics are given to easily, and I try to give my kids something for the symptoms like cold and flu symptoms when they get sick. But no matter how bad everyone says it is, it definately has its uses.

My little one, 7, started having an earache from Saturday. By Sunday he was screaming and I gave him eardrops and pain medication that has an anti-inflammatory agent in it. By Tuesday he looked as if it was starting to get better (he has middle ear infection) but today was just horrible.

Plus I have not slept for 3 nights straight. The child is in immense pain and I felt like the worst mom in the world. I was trying to get him to get well without antibiotics mainly because it wont be available in Oz

But I took him to the doctor this afternoon and he got his antibiotics. I just couldnt take it anymore, and I couldnt just stand and watch my child scream and cry of pain and begging me to make it better. Even now, maybe because of exhaustion, I dont know, but Im crying too...I have never felt so bad....I could have prevented his suffering by taking him to the doctor on Sunday, by now he would have been fine.

Now he is thankfully asleep as the medicine has started working immediately. I just dont know...after this weeks episode, I think in cases like this, especially with an ear infection in a young child, you cant play with it and hope for the best.

What would have happened if I did not go to the doctor today? Because he was getting sicker and sicker, he might have had a burst eardrum.

If the same thing happens in Oz, I dont know what we'll do...its going to be very tough.

• Like 2

I agree antibiotics are given way too easy all over the world, even here in Oz, but even reluctant drs realise that it has its purpose. I have never struggled to get antibiotics here in Oz (mind you I have two South African drs) but when I went to see another dr on the odd ocasion I got some.

Dont stress, when you strongly feel you want antibiotics tell your doc or go to another one that will help.

:-)

Toitjie, if you need antibiotics here you get them, I had bronchitis earlier this year and had two lots of antibiotics and even steroids.They just don't give them out willy nilly. I've never had a problem getting any medication that was needed.

I dont believe in giving antibiotics willy nilly despite the perception that i pop medication into my kids daily meals just because... ;)

However, antibiotics have their place. They have saved millions of lives. And while there may be doctors that over prescribe, i refuse to believe that there is a medical conspiracy where doctors disregard their ethical responsibility and just give out antibiotics. You can use your discretion as a patient and raise concerns if you wish.

Edited by AllisonW

Toitjie,

Please dont stress, when Lily was very ill they gave me antibiotics for her. It is a different system here but i think it is manageable. Like most moms I try to do the at home treatment, bed rest etc and only take them to the doc when they are really ill. The under two situation is tough but i got a friend to bring me some stuff over and bub is almost two so my tough days are over.

The weird thing is how much medication is actually available for adults here. I see stuff in the checkout points at the supermarket!