Farm Attacks In South Africa

Whynot

Question

Interesting read....

Farm Attacks In South Africa

16 April 2012, 14:22

By: sacitizen

Farm attacks and murders remains a serious issue for all South Africans, out of the 35000 commercial farms operating in South African 3158 farmers have been brutally murdered since 2004, whist most of these murders have taken place since 2008.

Commercial farming in South African contributes 2.6% of our total GDP (R113.4 billion) and employees around 10% of the total work force in South Africa (1.76 Million people). Our farms produce the food we eat and contribute a large part of our global exports.

Some report indicate that our farmers are being killed at a rate of 330 / 100000 people per year since 2008 (Six times higher that our already high murder rate) and the sheer violent uses during these attack indicate that there is something far more worrying going on, although there is no direct link to the ANC it must be noted that farm attacks and murders have seriously increased since Mr. Julius Sello Malema was elected as ANCYL.

Organisations within South Africa have been monitoring and reporting on farm attacks and have reported the following statistics. 1995 (1), 1997 (1), 1999 (1), 2000 (1), 2001 (2), 2002 (2), 2003 (2), 2004 (01), 2005 (1), 2006 (2), 2007 (1), 2008 (37), 2009 (465), 2010 (439), 2011 (551), 2012 to date (92). = 1599 farm attacks, 3158 people murdered.

Don’t worry the world is watching and there are several organisations and activists working to high light these issues to the world.

Unity is strength - All South Africans have the right to be free, protected against crime, have the right to be educated to a good standard, fair opportunity to the jobs available to them and last but not least share and enjoy South Africa’s beauty and wealth together as one.

South Africa and its people will only move forward is everybody respects all culture, colours, traditions and by everybody works together to overcome our home lands issue.

South Africa is one of the beautiful countries in the world and has wealth and an abundance of natural resource. Why can’t everybody work together and build the South Africa everybody wants to live in?

All South African should fight against all of the very things that are currently destroying our country, We should campaign to ensure the rest of the world aware of what is happening behind our rainbow coloured curtain and putting non -violent pressure on our government to deliver on what we have all dreamed about for centuries – a true democracy, a true rainbow nation that all people can share, prosper and enjoy.

We should be using this form to drive all our people forward into a bright future, toward a safer place to live, working together to build our economy and create job and uniting together in protest against poverty, inequality, crime, racism, corruption.

Power to our people, let’s all work together to build a brighter future for all our people. Please no racists – only South Africans that want the best for everybody.

God bless and protect all South African, each death should be seen as a national tragedy.

19 answers to this question

Darkwing and ShaneB I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine going through the loss of a loved one in such a horrible way.

(null)

• Like 3

Interesting how 2007(1) and it just rockets up from there, right about the same time that 'Mudguppy' Malema started shouting his mouth off about taking farms Zimbabwe style.

Those stats are way off, my Mother was murdered in an attack in 1999 and there where plenty of other attacks that year!

Edited by SHANEB
  • Like 2

http://www.iss.co.za.../1Contents.html According to this report 809 attacks in 1999.

http://www.irinnews.org/Report/35236/SOUTH-AFRICA-Focus-on-farm-attacks 813 in this report for 1999.

I have no idea where they got those numbers from!

Edited by SHANEB
  • Like 1

These stats show that there is a problem but they are waaaay off. My Father was attacked on his farm in 2003 on valentines day and later died in hospital. Murderers were identified and got off free because of police bungle.

According to the KZN stats, this figure was far higher at that time when I spoke to them.

It is always the case that when someone writes such an emotive piece with reference to crime that stats get misinterpreted. I think there should be a greater importance placed on the author to verify stats and name the resources used for the stats. As we can see here the stats are way off and in this case more than likely incorrect.

I do however pray that this problem of farm murders gets sorted... Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

When I realised there are two people in this thread alone whose parents were murdered (or attacked and then later passed away) my blood went cold. I'm so sorry to both of you for your losses.

• Like 4

Darkwing and ShaneB I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine going through the loss of a loved one in such a horrible way. (null)

Ditto, Senseless and unnecessary loss of life

• Like 3

My father was murdered on his farm on 11 March 1993 - one of the first farm murders.

Any official farm murder figures supplied can only be regarded as suspicious.

And now we should all 'stand together as one,  campaigning against crime',  while the criminal may not be 'offended' in any way.   Even if you defend yourself,  you are the racist offender !  Pure emotional propaganda.  Reality is out there.   Just the past week,  an old schoolfriend's husband was brutally murdered in Mpumalanga.   Just like that.   And something that did not even make the news in SA,  on Easter weekend alone,  there were SEVEN farm attacks. In ONE WEEKEND. I'm sorry, but I do think that at this stage, SA is kind of past the point of no return.

• Like 1

Guest May

what about that poor lady, 34 killed in Randfontein. Children were at home 3 and 5. My sister-in-law is trying to sell her farm there, my brother-in-law very old schooled. They wont go to Aus unless they have a job. NEWSFLASH! not very likely. Its realistic I suppose and a good excuse for those that want to stay like my husband.

This is so sad. No one should lose their life in such a brutal way. I'm very sorry about what happened to your loved ones. "stand together and fight crime"......how do we do that? Where do we even start? This makes me angry.

Lyn, I agree. There are lots of people who feel that we should stand together, but practically that is not possible. I am not going to put my family in harms way, and I certainly dont want to be killed. I always wonder exactly what that phrase means to people. What can one do? Take up arms? March? Write letters to the president? None are going to have any effect.

If everyone puts on their bafana bafana tops, drinks castle lager with a few friends of varying ethnic backgrounds and sings a nice Juluka song, all of the nasty stuff goes away.....

If everyone puts on their bafana bafana tops, drinks castle lager with a few friends of varying ethnic backgrounds and sings a nice Juluka song, all of the nasty stuff goes away.....

... or that's what they try to lie us into thinking. Ugh ....

Lyn, I agree. There are lots of people who feel that we should stand together, but practically that is not possible. I am not going to put my family in harms way, and I certainly dont want to be killed. I always wonder exactly what that phrase means to people. What can one do? Take up arms? March? Write letters to the president? None are going to have any effect.

You mean liking Facebook status updates from LeadSA won't solve the problem?!

Maybe Danny K (the K stands for Krap) should make another shitty shout song lol.

Edited by Donovan83

Apparently criminals respond well to a catchy tune.....