Ease of doing things in Oz compared to SA

zamunda

Question

I am busy setting up a business in Oz and thought I'd share some of the experiences I have had so far.

Registering a company

- A breeze in Oz. Everything on-line.

- A friend recently got a company registered in Sa and the process took close to 5 weeks (not sure if this is normal or not).

Making payments to suppliers

- Suppliers in Oz. All I do is enter my card details on the respective supplier website and place the order. Where there is no such facility, all I had to do was email them my card details. Bank informed of this via secure on-line system.

- Suppliers in RSA. I have to send a letter of authorisation, copy of my card (both sides), copy of my ID. I also have to inform my bank every time such a transaction is being put through.

Bank Assistance

- I recently had to put a rather large transaction through my debit card. As I live in Botswana and the payee is in RSA I informed my local banker the details of the transaction. They assured me that the transaction will be allowed to go through. However, it did not go through and customer service calls me to tell me that my card has been blocked due to an unauthorised transaction. When I asked them what happened to the instructions I sent, the answer was "it is not in our system".

- I then had to put the same transaction through my Oz card as the payee was on my case. All it took was one simple phone call. The transaction went through a few minutes after the call.

Getting an order delivered to a customer

- I had to get my supplier to deliver directly to my customer in Melbourne. Payment was made on-line at around 9.30am (Oz time) and the delivery was done around 11.30am (Oz time) the following day. Later that day received an email from the supplier confirming the delivery.

- I am yet to come accross that level of service here.

• Like 2

16 answers to this question

I walked into a Medicare centre on Saturday armed with my ENT receipt and medicare card wondering what hoops I'd need to jump through to get the refund....I poop you not...2 mins and I was out of there!!!!!! Refund paid into my account the same day!

Imagine trying to do that with Discovery! Better yet, imagine them having a client centre in virtually every mall :-D

• Like 2

My mother-in-law is a cancer patient and has been undergoing treatment over the past one year. Towards the end of last year we almost lost her as she did not react well to chemo. Thankfully she did pull through and living a normal life now. Still going through treatment though.

Medicare took care of everything. No fuss, no worries.

To top it all, recently the hospital offered her and father-in-law a free four day stay at a resort. The doctors words were "you have been through quite a lot over the past one year, so here is something from us to help you get through the trauma".

And this is a Government hospital by the way :)

• Like 3

I opened a current and savings account at NAB (West End branch in Perth) in a little under 30 minutes (most of which was chat between me and the staff member who asked me all about my trip and plans to move there - instead of just glaring at me and begrudgingly pushing documents to me). They didn't need FICA RICA POCA SLURPEE documentation, just to see my passport for ID - no worries. There are no fees on either account (except if you, for example, draw from other banks' ATMs) and I earn roughly triple the interest I earned on a fixed deposit in RSA. Very impressed.

• Like 1

I opened a current and savings account at NAB (West End branch in Perth) in a little under 30 minutes (most of which was chat between me and the staff member who asked me all about my trip and plans to move there - instead of just glaring at me and begrudgingly pushing documents to me). They didn't need FICA RICA POCA SLURPEE documentation, just to see my passport for ID - no worries. There are no fees on either account (except if you, for example, draw from other banks' ATMs) and I earn roughly triple the interest I earned on a fixed deposit in RSA. Very impressed.

I am dying to be able to have PLEASANT service. The only thing I do have to say in South Africa's favour, as much as RICA and FICA and all that were a PAIN in the A**, that is one of the things that saved the bacon for a lot of south africans during this last recession. It is because of all of these laws that the banks were not lending money left right and centre like a lot of overseas banks. The banking sector is pretty advanced. That being said, that's about it..the rest you can keep!!!

Edited by miraclebabycaw

I have been here 2 weeks and the friendliness and efficiency is amazing, however trying to get something certified is another matter. I was told to rather go to a pharmacy as you are not always guaranteed someone at the police station can certify. So off I go to the pharmacy and I was told if I want the pharmacist to certify I have to pay $2 per page and must wait about 10 minutes. I decided to try the police station. When I was helped I was asked quite a few questions as to why I want the document certified and for who it was etc. Something I never experienced in South Africa. Then I was told that they would only certify one copy. However certification is the least of my worries and I am thoroughly enjoying living in a first world country.:ilikeit:

I am dying to be able to have PLEASANT service. The only thing I do have to say in South Africa's favour, as much as RICA and FICA and all that were a PAIN in the A**, that is one of the things that saved the bacon for a lot of south africans during this last recession. It is because of all of these laws that the banks were not lending money left right and centre like a lot of overseas banks. The banking sector is pretty advanced. That being said, that's about it..the rest you can keep!!!

I think the NCA was more the reason for us not having too much of a credit crisis here... RICA doesn't do much (except inconvenience people and help Big Brother spy on you) and FICA also does stuff all - they ask you to bring your lease in as proof of address - what's to stop you just putting a fake lease together with a fake signature? What a stupid idea.

I do agree with the NCA though - you must prove you can afford debt before they give it to you.

• Like 1

Yip, we have been here a month today, and every day is a freakin dream come true. This morning it took me about 10min, tp phone the gas and elictricty companies(2 seperate calls), to arrange for the gas and elictricity to be changed in our name for our rental home.....

I'm so thankfull that we have been this opportunity to live in a 1st country, we are truelly blessed.

• Like 1

I think its the stress of how many times you have to communicate to get things done in SA that is making me grey. Take it from someone older, its adding years on my age. Fight Fight Fight to get things done satisfactory.

Hello TracyH

It took me a while to figure out how to get documents certified in Oz but once you have it is such a pleasure and so much easier than in SA.

Our courthouse has an office dedicated to certifying documents. From 10am to 1pm there is a retired magistrate or Justice of the Peace on duty to do this. It is the only function of this person so there is hardly ever a queue and it is free.

Another way is look in your phone book and you will find a list of the "Justices of the Peace" (ours is on page 14). Call them up and ask them to stamp your papers. When I tried some were a bit busy but I called and found a few retirees who were so happy to help. We went to one dear old ladies house and her husband made us tea and played with the kids while she stamped our papers.

I remember paying bribes to SAPS in Krugersdorp when we were preparing our papers for Australia, what a nightmare that was.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Mikej

Another place to get things certified is your local council offices - they generally have staff who are authorised to act as Justice of the Peace and to certify documents, administer oaths etc.

Thanks Michael. Will definitely try them next time.

Hello TracyH

It took me a while to figure out how to get documents certified in Oz but once you have it is such a pleasure and so much easier than in SA.

Our courthouse has an office dedicated to certifying documents. From 10am to 1pm there is a retired magistrate or Justice of the Peace on duty to do this. It is the only function of this person so there is hardly ever a queue and it is free.

Another way is look in your phone book and you will find a list of the "Justices of the Peace" (ours is on page 14). Call them up and ask them to stamp your papers. When I tried some were a bit busy but I called and found a few retirees who were so happy to help. We went to one dear old ladies house and her husband made us tea and played with the kids while she stamped our papers.

I remember paying bribes to SAPS in Krugersdorp when we were preparing our papers for Australia, what a nightmare that was.

Cheers

Michael

Last year when we were in Oz I was in line to pay for parking in Melbourne. It was one of those "pay and display" car parks. There was two old ladies in front of me and they had trouble getting the machine to accept their card (they were inserting the card the wrong way). So I offered my help and showed them how to get the card working. The praises and belssings they showered me with was so overwhelming. I really felt proud of the good deed I had done. Made me want to do more. Over the years we have had so many such expereicnes.

In contrast, some time back in RSA, I let a lady in the bank que get in front of me. I did this because she had two very restless kids and I felt sorry for her. Did not even say thank you. And this is not unusual here.

When I do something for others, I do it with good intentions and don't look for anything in return. But a simple show of thankfulness is common curtsey.

I just returned form holiday in SA and had a seriously overweight suitcase (32kg) and a smaller one.

At my train station there is no lift, so when I reached the bottom of the stairs, a high school boy offered to help me. Could blow me over right there.

Sincerely thanked him and he replied " My mom would have told me to help anyway"

• Like 2

I am reading all these statements and can honestly tell you … I feel so jealous of you staying there and that we can not be there yet to experience the awesome-ness of the 1st world.

We already have our PR (and entry stamp), just waiting for our house to sell so we can move. We’ve been in Australia 3x now and every time I cried on our way back to SA, because I did not want to come back!!!!

I just pray that all our plans work out so we can enjoy the benefits of living in a 1st world … SOON!

• Like 2

Hi Chantel

We are in the same boat as you are.

Been to Oz 6 times over the last 6 years and each time did not want to come back.

We too have got our PR and got our entry stamp. Now to sell the house, sell the business, settle other things, etc. Taking longer than we planned, running out of being patient. But has to be done. So enduring the pain. no pain no gain I suppose.

All the bst!