New To Melbourne From Jhb/pta

Nev

My Wife and i arrived a month ago in Melbourne on a 457 visa from JHB/Pretoria, and Australia is an amazing place,

So far, we have our own car and our own place in hawthorn (+- 6km east of melbourne central), we went the route of selling everything on that side and air freighting only 3x 500x500x750 boxes with clothes and dive gear (U-Haul - 110kg's total weight +-R8000 to fly em) and they were at my work's door in Auz 10 days after they were handed in in SA)

Things we love in Auz,

We are able to go for a walk around at night without worrying,

People are friendly,

Trams and trains for if you want to go out for a dop and not drive (The public transport really works),

The traffic is not nearly as bad as in JHB, people follow the road rules and give you a gap when you indicate, but it is taking some getting used to driving at the speed limit :)

No burglar bars on all the windows, dont get me wrong, there is still crime, but it is non violent, you dont need to worry about people coming into your home while you asleep or getting hijacked, if you leave you cell lying visible on the car seat and it is parked on a quiet street over night you are looking for a broken window

INTERNET SPEEDS ARE AWSOME

Things can look expensive but it is possible to get everything at good prices if you look around, Kmart clothing is not expensive, we got a solid wood bed and pocket coil matress new for about what we would have paid in SA by looking around so dont let the prices scare you off

One question i have though, how do you go about meeting people, making friends needs to start somewhere but where do you start?

Also any other SA people in Melbourne who want to hook up for coffee?

Nev

Hi ou maat,

Ek het jou post gelees en ondervid dieselfde as jy. Ek het die 12 Feb 2012 oorgevlieg en bly in dei Newcastle area (NSW). Ek het n topic begin: New Friends new Life in Australia. Die post is baie nuut, so pop in later dalk is daar tips oor hoe om pelle te maak hier.

Sterkte met julle life journey!

Groete,

Jacques

My Wife and i arrived a month ago in Melbourne on a 457 visa from JHB/Pretoria, and Australia is an amazing place...

Also any other SA people in Melbourne who want to hook up for coffee?

Nev

Welcome Nev! Glad to hear you're settling in well. I'm in the Monash area so send me your info if you'd like to discuss our new world over a cup of coffee.

Thanks, will do :ilikeit:

We will be joining you guys in Melbourne shortly. Will catch up with you peeps then .....

Great, what date will you be over here?

Nev,

Welcome mate. Glad to hear you settling in well.

A couple of things to note rgarding your post:

1. I think the traffic here is terrible. I hate taking 20 minutes to do a 4km trip. This you will see as you become more entrenched in the road use around the city.

2. Although what you say about crime and house breakins is generally true, still be aware of your security. A relative of mine, living in a pretty upmarket area, had her home broken into while she was asleep upstairs. She heard a noise and must have disturbed them, because they took wallets off the entrance table, iPhones etc, but left the laptops etc.

Hi, yea, i have seen some lousy traffic but it seems to be coming from the north, When i drive out to brunswick in the morning to see a client the freeway is ouch

We on the east and with a 15 km drive to the office (6km into town, over the bolty, then out to the west, for a month so far) i average about 20 min, i used to do the Midrand to JHB drive, also 15 km and that took over an hour every day so this is great

I have had a day when there was an accident and it took an hour, but you live with those

Completely agree on the crime, you still have to be carefull and crime hapens everywhere, but it is verrrrry little compared to SA and the crimes here are generally non violent, they run when they hear you as opposed to sa...

We are just waiting for the visa approval, the sponsor wants to get me there as soon as possible. I might come down either 1 May or 1 June, visa dependant and the family following later in June.

Great

Welcome Nev! Glad to hear you're settling in well. I'm in the Monash area so send me your info if you'd like to discuss our new world over a cup of coffee.

Hi, sent you a message through the forums, not sure if you got it?

We will be arriving in Melbourne on the 18th June. Look forward to meeting you all!

Thanks, will do :ilikeit:

Hi, sent you a message through the forums, not sure if you got it?

I did, thanks! I'll send through mine as well, would be great to meet up sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

We are new to this site and I've just read this thread and hopefully can provide a little info that may be of assistance.

We immigrated to Aus just over 4 yrs ago, first to Perth then relocated to Melbourne about 10 mths ago. The best move I feel, as Melbourne truly is a beautiful city with so much to offer. However be prepared for the winter, it's quite chilly. We arrived in June from Perth, which averages 40 degrees to a bitterly cold Melbourne, was a bit of a shock to the system.

We live in an area called Berwick, it's South East of Melbourne city. It's a lovely area, houses are nice and big and affordable (rent).

I work in Chadstone and find the commute horrendous on the Monash freeway most mornings. Can take anywhere between 1 to 2 hrs to get in, however school holidays are a dream, 30 min to get in.

We left South Africa purely due to level of crime. Our son is 7 now and can't even remember SA.

It's a great life here, yes you do have your petty crime but not on the level we exp in SA.

We don't have any family or friends here, that's the 1 thing you really miss and realize you took for granted once the move is over, the mountain of paperwork is complete and you've sort of found yourself around an area without getting lost all the time.

We have recently found a SA doctor in the area and he advised that there are a number of SA families in this area, so we are hoping to meet up with some should more social events come up in the future.

Best of luck to those who are embarking on this roller coaster ride, it really is worth it once it stops :-) and hope to meet up and get to know some of you :-)

Gail

Hi Gail,

Welcome to Melbourne. :)

I have also been here just over 4 years but came straight to Melbourne.

I know what you mean about the commute from Berwick. I dont live that way (I am in Bentleigh) but have done that stretch of the highway at peak times and it is CRAZY!!!!

As for meeting people here, you will certainly meet people through your sons school. I have met quite a few ppl through my kids school, many being ex South Africans, but many Aussies as well.

Anyway, good luck with settling in here. And good luck with the coming Winter. (Which seems to have hit this last weekend)

One positive thing about the Winter in Melbourne though........It means it is FOOTY SEASON!!!!!

Archived