Whew - Just Officially Boarded The Rollercoaster....

Zim

Hi there everybody,

We are a zimabawean family hijacking the forum I hope none of you mind but up here in zim we struggle to organise our own elections so the idea of a forum for us is still light years away.

I am the mom of a young family of four - we have two little boys aged 3 and 6months. My husband and I have stuck it out here in zim through the worst of it all but now that we have our children to consider we are just having a hard time envisaging growing old here with them and managing to give them all the opportunities we would like to give them. So I have finally applied for our 175 as of Monday! it's been a few years in the making as I didn't have the recent work experience requirement until now. I am still nervous about all the requirements we might still be asked for (tax returns, bank statements etc to prove work experience) as paperwork up here is still pretty hard to come by and everything works on a cash basis with few papertrails..... Anyway, holding thumbs it's just meant to be....

Of course, we don't know if it's the right decision because believe it or not we have a good life here and get to be home a lot in the day with our kids but it's the future we're worried about......

Anyway, thanks for listening and I look forward to chatting to you all. These forums are so addictive - worse than Facebook!

Yeah the forums are very addictive lol.

Welcome!

I'm quite glad to hear that you still have a good life up there in Zim, even though it's collapsed. I hear that there isn't quite such a violent culture up there as there is here in SA - is that right? A coworker told me that her family lives in Harare and doesn't need electric fencing or gates or anything even...

Just wondering, but couldn't you have applied for refugee or asylum or something status in Oz? Just wondering since the guy doing the Oz seminars made a point of saying if you have refugee/asylum/whatever status in SA, you have played your cards and can't do the same in Oz...

As i said, just wondering...

Hi Zim

Welcome to the forum. I am sure there are some negative people around, but I have yet to find them and I have been searching. This place is awesome and so are the people. We also just recently made the decision to do this and have managed against all odds to get stuff that seemed impossible to get. As for the question about whether or not this is the right choice, uh YES! Things are not great here and I am sure they are much worse there.

When it comes to your children and their future - you will find that you are capable of doing things you never ever thought you would. Stick it out and never give up. Failure is not the end, it is just an opportunity to achieve the same goal using a different approach.

I wish you and your family all the best and hope that things go well and that the outcome is what you want it to be.

Welcome Zim

I'd say the majority of us on this forum gave up what we thought was "a good life" - to get to Australia and realise life in Africa is not really that good.

Just my 2c.

All the best with the paperwork, its worth paperpushing for !

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It's amazing to have more support from cyberspace strangers than from your own friends and family! Having been following a few of your stories on the forums for the last few weeks (donovan83 and your referred meds, hadenoughofjuju and all your positive vibes) it feels like I am communicating with celebrities I have been reading about. Heeehee.

As you said Donovan, our lives up here do seem a bit more chilled than yours in Sa from a security aspect... We don't have an electric fence but having said that our security guard is off tonight and I'm pretty jumpy! of course it's still very much Africa though and you never feel very welcome, as my husband says _ we must never forget that we are just visitors in Africa - this will never truly be our home, as much as we might want it to be.

Thank you lyn for really making me think... I always thought I had a better life than most but it's interesting to think Thats what everybody thinks until they find something new in aus. For me the scariest thing is just becoming a number in a system and having to work full time! That might sound spoilt, my husband and I both work but it's so flexible and we miss out on very little of our kids. With a 6 month old I still want to be around as much as possible.

Anyway, I think I have to take a break from trawling through these pages tonight... I stil have a long wait ahead of me for my 175 and I need to pace myself and focus on still living in the present!

Thanks again for listening to my ramblings, it all seems to come out higglety pigglety but so much on my mind!

Good night everyone.

Hi Zim, Welcome. There are 2 Zim families I have met here in Canberra so you are not alone!

Congratulation on taking that first step, as I've said before on the forum, I thinks its one of the best decisions I've ever made. All the best for the future and let us know how your application goes.

Archived