From Howzit To G'day

OnYellowBrickRd

Hi all

So nice to find a forum filled with people who know what we're going through.

After some realistic consideration of our financial situation in SA (I'm a teacher and my hubby works for the same school), we have realised that we will not be able to cope financially unless we live on debt...something we don't want to do.

We also want to ensure a better future for our 'almost' 5-year-old little girl. The current basic service, financial and political climate in our country also doesn't look promising and we are tired of struggling.

We made the decision to move to Auz based on the following: the climate, quality of life and possibility of holding on to our SA roots.

We made the decision to move on 3 Feb and joined an immigration agency on 5 Feb. So far we've been collecting documentation (some of which we consider 'miracles' as we were convinced we'd NEVER get hold of it...and HAVE!!) and have booked for the IELTS for 10 March. Once we get those results we'll send over the documents for my skills assessment (I'm a high school teacher).

We feel a lot of pressure due to the legislation changes that come into play on 1 July and the fact that our visa app needs to be in Aus by then...

As you know, it's costing a fortune as well, so we have shorter nails already.

I am holding on to Jeremiah 29:11 'For I know the plans I have for you' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future'

Good luck, I hope that all goes well for you. I am sharing the conviction of your Bible verse, it has seen me through a lot!

Hi,

Good luck guys. There's a bit of a process ahead of you, but feel free to get in touch if you have any questions or just need someone to talk to (either on the forum in general or directly via personal message).

All the best - where are you hoping to go to?

Welcome to the forum and Good luck to you both, you won't regret it.

Thank you all.

So far, we're hoping to go to Australia ;) , but we're interested in the Brisbane area. No 1, its climate is similar to that of Pretoria (where we are from) and , no2, it's near the Gold Coast and the Great Barrier reef (my hubby and I SCUBA...when we can afford to)

Thank you all.

So far, we're hoping to go to Australia ;) , but we're interested in the Brisbane area. No 1, its climate is similar to that of Pretoria (where we are from) and , no2, it's near the Gold Coast and the Great Barrier reef (my hubby and I SCUBA...when we can afford to)

Australia is a big place!

The Barrier Reef stretches a long way. The most popular gateway is Cairns, that's 1700 km from Brisbane. That's Jhb to Cape Town and another 300 km.

The closest resort type location to the Barrier Reef from Brisbane would be the Whitsundays. They're 900 km from Brisbane. That's Jhb to Durban, and back.

But that's still a lot closer than Pretoria to the Barrier reef.

It certainly is a long reef...

The closest resort island is probably Lady Elliot: http://www.ladyellio....au/Default.asp

aerial-902.jpg

It has 40 min flights out to the island from Hervey Bay which is 280km north of Brisbane. Or 60 minute flights from the Sunshine Coast 1hr north of Brisbane. Or 70 minute flights from Brisbane itself.

It is also one of the few islands that is actually part of the reef so you can snorkel right off the beach.

Heron Island might be the next closest barrier reef resort: http://www.heronisland.com/

Boat tranfers to the island from Gladstone about 550km from Brisbane.

You can also snorkel right off the beach on this island as well.

Aerial+of+Heron+Island_+Great+Barrier+Reef+Marine+Park_+Queensland_+Australia.jpg

heron-island-1.jpg

There is also obviously also some non barrier reef diving in Brisbane and surrounds.

For example Flinders Reef in Brisbane:

REEFCHECK_WEB_PHOTO_EE337927_10868.JPG

Flinders reef features a Green Turtle cleaning station:

IMG_2263.JPG

Good luck. I hope the process goes really smoothly and quickly for you. Just remember what your end goal is when things get tough.

All the best.

Hi and welcome, you have come to the right place. The awesome people here will give you great support.

Thank you all.

Just to clarify Brisbane weather is more like Durban very humid and sticky.

Just to clarify Brisbane weather is more like Durban very humid and sticky.

Yep, would have to agree, nowhere like Pretoria weather more like Richards Bay - Hotter and more humid than Durban

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Hope all goes well with each step in the process, and thanks for the quote from Jeremiah.

A very warm welcome, may God lead your way as you trust in Him !

Archived