Mamma Mia Pizza - Help!

Russell

Hi,

Can anyone please help. I am looking for a great wood-fired oven pizza establishment here is Melbourne? Preferably close to the N Eastern suburbs. The old fashioned thin based style we all were used to in South Africa. I know this sounds like a trivial question but we are dying here.

We have been here almost 4 years and have yet to find anything as close to Col Cacchio or Mimmo's or Pizza Perfect quality. I am resigned to the fact that Aussie's have got used to different taste requirements. Typical qualities of local pizza's are:

- Thick base,

- Cheap Ham (looks and tastes more like processed bully beef)

- Stingy on the cheese

- Cooked in a rostisary grilled oven (what a let down)

- Blah blah blah

Thanks.

We never eat take away pizza but a friend of mine complained about the same thing!

The only pizza I've had here was at a restaurant on a winery in the Yarra Valley and it was delicious but very pricey. Thin base, woodfired oven and lovely fresh basil & tomato on top.

Otherwise make your own, I buy the bases at Coles.

Jeez - I know what you mean! The stuff is disgusting - like polony.

I read something about a wood fired one near Bentleigh recently, but unfortunately did not take the location down. Have you tried Google Maps?

Today someone mentioned 'Crust' at Mordialloc - not sure if it's a chain? Another person said that the Italian restaurant at Aspendale Station is wood fired. We'll go and have look and report back ...

Please do let me know if you find one?

There are plenty of wood fired pizza joints around - can you be more specific on the NE Melbourne suburbs?

+39 in the city is fantastic - simple, but delicious wood fired pizza without all the crap that takeaway joints put on theirs. It also won Pizzeria of the year in 2010. http://plus39.com.au/ - I always have the Salsiccia. Awesomeness on a plate.

I would have thought your other best bet would be Lygon Street.

Certainly stay away from the takeaway type pizza joints. I think they have their place if you're after a cheap feed, but not if you want "real" decent pizza.

Thanks for the feedback. What I am trying to acheive is something close to home, not in Little Bourke Street (not ideal if you have a young family in the Templestowe area). However will bear the city locales in mind next time I venture into the city for a meeting.

Crust is probably the "best" of the local chains but still average - reminds me of the fozen pizza's Pick 'n Pay used to serve - lots of stodgy with no taste.

Happy eating!!

Google is amazing - here is an article about the best pizza places in Melbourne and guess what - one of them is in Lower Templestowe

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/24/1069522526312.html It's called Pizza Espresso.

Try them and let me know if it was any good!!

Thanks Sibella,

When we landed in Melbourne we stayed in Lower Templestowe for a time. We gave this a try and they were not that bad - but not mind blowing.

I suppose it is a personal experience and I am still searching for perfect pizza.

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Crust Pizza remind's me of Debonairs. Not bad at all :)

Make your own, so much better. You can buy bread dough from certain bakers. Or make you own, not difficult at all

Ingredients (serves 4)

• 7g sachet dry yeast
  • 1 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Combine 3/4 cup warm water, yeast, sugar and salt in a jug. Whisk with a fork to dissolve. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.

2. Use your fist to punch dough down. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth
  3. Sift flour into a bowl. Add yeast mixture and oil. Mix to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes or until elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 25 to 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.

Or use your bead machine.

Take a terracotta tile, turn it upside down and place in our oven , heat your oven to 240 degrees, the tile is the closest you will get at home to a woodfired pizza. Roll you dough out in to 4 decent size serves ( as round as you can ) place onto your hot tile,

Prepare you base using tomatoe passata, and add the toppings of your choice and cheese .!!!

Place back into you oven and bake for about 10-12 mins and voila ....an excellent pizza. better than debonairs, eagle boys etc where the box tastes better than the pizza.!!

• 3 weeks later...

@ Enrica, that is awesome! Why dont we start a recipe topic and everybody can one?

This thread is making my mouth water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd give up my......wait let me think about that.....

I'm unashamed to say that I lived for BUTLERS pizza :ilikeit: We've tried a few pizza places in Sydney and Melbourne and I have to say that Crust comes out on tops thus far!!

I remember the winery in the Yarra Valley where we had great pizza - it was called Zonzo - so if you are ever out that way try it!

Archived