Forum Facebook Integration

Jordy

To all our members,

We have implemented into the forum total facebook integration. This means that new members can now register on our forums with their facebook login details. It also means that current members can either login with their forum username and password or with their facebook login details.

But perhaps more exciting is that existing members can link their Forum profiles with their Facebook profiles. Doing this will mean that you can sync your facebook profile photo and status updates with your Forum photo and status updates.

To link your facebook profile to your forum profile go to YOUR PROFILE>EDIT MY PROFILE (TOP RIGHT)>MANAGE FACEBOOK (RIGHT HAND COLUMN)

Then Click the "LOGIN with Facebook" icon

You will then be redirected to facebook where you will be required to sign in to facebook, even if you are already signed in. Once signed in to Facebook you will then need to agree to the standard apps "Request for permission."

Having agreed you will be redirected back to the forum and to your Forum profile settings where you can decide what you wish to share on the forum and on facebook. You can adjust the setting under the heading

Facebook to Forum Account Synchronization Options

• Retrieve my Facebook Picture to use as my profile photo
    This allows you to use your Facebook picture as your profile photo when you edit your photo
  • Update my Facebook Status with my Forum status (Export your status)
  • Update my Forum Status with my Facebook status (Import a status)

This information is updated once every 24 hours.

But there is a caveat. For members who are not "out the closet" yet in regards their immigration plans, it would not be wise to export forum status updates to your facebook profile.

One last thing - Members are now able to share posts and topics on their facebook walls. We are hoping members will do this and thus spread the word about the forum thus helping others with their migration plans.

ENJOY!

Just to be clear. So if I do this, will forumites have access to my Facebook posts then as well?

Yes and no.

If you link your facebook into the forum you will choose what people on the forum see. You can choose from

• Retrieve my Facebook Picture to use as my profile photo
    This allows you to use your Facebook picture as your profile photo
  • Update my Facebook Status with my Forum status (Export your status)
    Approving this option will mean your forum status will automatically be posted to your facebook wall as well.
  • Update my Forum Status with my Facebook status (Import a status)
    Approving this option will mean your facebook status will be imported to the forum as your forum status. It only does this once every 24 hours and so only your most recent facebook status will appear on the forum.
    So if you allow option 3, this only affects statuses and not all posts you make like comments on other people's walls, etc.

If you only want to share a post or a thread on your facebook wall you will still need to link up but you would not approve any of the three above options.

So to answer your question - No forum members will not have access to your facebook wall as if they were a friend on facebook. This feature simply imports your latest facebook status once every 24 hours into your forum profile and nothing else.

Aaaah, thanks Jordy!

Archived