Container Feedback

Apollo

Hi Everyone

I know there is a lot of debate around which container company to choose so I thought I would give you feedback on my experience with Cargopak.

Don packed us up in KZN at the end of November 2011. The team are extremely professional and at no point did I have to worry about where everyone was or what they were up to :ph34r: every one of the team members was efficient and professional and Don was present at all times to manage the process. (A huge factor in our decision to use them!)

Once the container arrived at the premises and the team started to pack into it, I was amazed at the skill of the packer, everything was tightly and securely placed with not a hair's gap between the items and a little while later off it went to port.

The shipping agent on the Sydney end underwent a change of Management during our shipment which impacted our time line by about a week or two. I found that hugely frustrating and was losing confidence in the process when we got a call to say all's well and our goods were to be delivered on Friday. Amazing how long a week feels when you're camping in your house!

The delivery team on this side is a whole 2 people, 1 of which also drives the truck all the way from Sydney!!!!

In 2 hours the entire container was unpacked and the items sorted and placed in the respective rooms.

Every single item has arrived in perfect condition and despite being a little smelly from the fumigation we are extremely pleased and totally impressed with the experience.

I have no hesitation in recommending them - Thanks Don for a job well done :ilikeit: :ilikeit: :ilikeit:

Now just to find space for everything :lol:

Regards

M

So pleased you container made it and your home is now home :-).

I am pleased you also had a pleasant experience with Don and the Cargopak team!

And have fun getting everything unpacked and in order...

Hey there!!!

Can I just ask..... How practical or convenient is it to ship furniture, goods ect???

I seem to think it will be okay to arrive with just a suitcase for each family member and then start buying once you've landed and found a place to stay.

Input from guys who shipped and those who did not ship will be most welcome!!!

Many Thanks :unsure::unsure:

Hey there!!!

Can I just ask..... How practical or convenient is it to ship furniture, goods ect???

I seem to think it will be okay to arrive with just a suitcase for each family member and then start buying once you've landed and found a place to stay.

Input from guys who shipped and those who did not ship will be most welcome!!!

That's a great question!!!

Personally we trimmed our container down to a minimum and only brought furniture of value or sentimental value. So the decision for me was what would I urgently need in the first 2 months such as washing machine, fridge, tv and beds etc and that we bought here. The rest such as dining room table, couches we shipped over.

The reality is that things are actually expensive here, especially when you are still converting from rands.

Strange items like ironing boards I found to be expensive and really yuk quality. Pyrex and plastic ware also pricey.

I researched most items on the web for pricing and found that those items in reality are not always great quality so to get quality and set up a home from scratch is a major cost.

If I had to do it again????? (Hindsight is a wonderful thing......)

I probably would have brought a few more items of wooden furniture such as dining room dressers and practical storage pieces. If you like modern kit based furniture then you will find plenty here.

Long story short, it's a personal choice but make sure you do the math carefully!! And there is no substitute for the excitement of getting your goodies delivered.

Trim down your clutter as much as possible, I brought all crockery and glassware from parents old wedding gifts etc - while very beautiful SO NOT practical!!! To clean or store is a nightmare :blink:

Happy decision making!

M

Hey there!!!

Honestly it cost us R42000 to bring a container, convert that to Aussie dollars of R7.23 to the dollar when we shipped and you have $5809 for a container full. I would say financially it makes sense especially if you have good furniture. You would spend $5800 on beds alone. Like Apollo says it is expensive if you are converting, if you are earning dollars it is a different ball game.

Bringing your furniture is a No Brainer!

Thank you Apollo and Cramer !!!! What a decision!!!!! Anyway we're really in the beginning stages of this process (just submitted VETASSES), so have some time yet........

Hi Apollo

Thanks for that info. Did you have your container fumigated here or there, and who arranged that for you? We've had a quote of R650.00 from the company doing our house. Does that sound about right? Did you have any leather items in your container? I've heard leather items shouldn't be fumigated but I'm not going anywhere without my boot collection!

De

HI There,

I Echo Apollo's sentiments (we shared the container with them) and yes CargoPak was amazing, we had one breakage which was a mug handle and that was in the box unpacked and checked by customs and it was evident they did not repack it properly (we have glued it and it is as right as rain - Hubby's 21st mug from his late parents)

We only took 8&1/2 cubes and it was way too much stuff, we had been here 3 weeks already and camping in our rental for 2 of them, so we had already bought a small dinner set from the tip as well as some white goods like kettle toaster etc, K-mart has great prices and specials on kitchen starter sets. (cheap but will do until we are earning som $)

We bought way too many glasses and kitchen stuff in the container as well as books, I have already given away more than half of the glasses I unpacked on the weekend.

Less is definately more. We also bought only sentimental furniture items with, currently we are sleeping on the floor on a king size matress donated to us by ex-saffers, my daughter is on a king single matress (3/4 bed) donated by great ozzie friends we have met via saffers, my hubbys new boss gave us a double bunk bed with single on top and double at the bottom with a single matress, and my little son is sleeping on an ancient futon dontated by ex-saffers, so if you are willing to rough it for a while you will cope. We are quite happy with what we have living in Canberra we have joined the fb [age of Canberra buy, sell, swop or giveaway and picked up a 6 seater dining room table and chairs for $40.00 so if you want all the fancy stuff and you can afford it bring a container, if you are not too fussy you can make a plan there are PLENTY people willing and able to assist. We did bring our 13kg washing machine which is great as I have not seen a machine bigger that 10kg here yet.

We would have bought more stuff but financially we couldn't afford it.

It is great though to get your stuff and make your home feel more familiar, it kind of feels like christmas.

Just my 2c worth,

But once again to confirm I recommend CARGOPAK.

T

Thank you Orion, your 2c worth is worth MUCH more to me!!! I think I am convinced to ship at least my lounge suite and all our beds. All my "white goods" are almost 10 yrs old so I won't bother with those!!! Maybe a few kitchen stuff as well!!!! I wish I culd share with someone as well, so anyone out there who has just started this process GET IN TOUCH!!!!!!

Hi T and M,

So glad to hear Cargopak lived up to your expectations. M, you know my furniture so anything you think I should leave behind? What are you kicking yourself for not bringing? What about beds? T you mentioned your washing machine. Is it easy to fit those large washing machines in? I was wondering if I should just leave mine and buy a smaller one over there?

Love to both of you

Sharon

I used CargoPak and my goods are somewhere between Durban and Adelaide by now. Thank you for reinforcing my decision and I look forward to getting my stuff on the other side in good order. I agree their packing method was so quick and efficient. A very professional company but small enough to really care.

Hi T and M,

So glad to hear Cargopak lived up to your expectations. M, you know my furniture so anything you think I should leave behind? What are you kicking yourself for not bringing? What about beds? T you mentioned your washing machine. Is it easy to fit those large washing machines in? I was wondering if I should just leave mine and buy a smaller one over there?

Love to both of you

Sharon

HI Sharon,

I am very pleased i brought my big machine with it is 13kg toploader, and I have not seen one here, withall the rain and a family of 5 we need it it is also great fro all the bedding etc, so think about it, you might not need it for your family but i ma greatful I have brought it with.

I am so glad we used Cargopak, a friend I have met here used another company a LARGE corporate to bring over a 40ft container, she has beautiful stuff but the damages she has had are enormous!!! I saw and felt the boxes used for packing and seriously they are half the micro's of a Cargopak box, I was truly shocked, Our boxes do not even look as if the have been moved and hers have moulded to the items they are supposed to be protecting and are soft, ours are still stiff and firm (the boxes :ph34r: ) so I will seriously advise anyone looking at container companies to ask them for sample boxes, as they sure seem to make a difference.

Good luck to those of you who are busy making all these decisions I personally am so glad to be past all this.

Please shout if you need any further info.

T

Archived