Adelaide Bound

JacoPretorius

Hi Everyone

I was very suprised when I checked on the Ecom.immi site today to see that my 457 Visa have been approved

- it's hardly been two weeks!! I don't want to sound like a chop but if it says "Applicant approved"

(it also says visa status active and gives the period of validity)

it does mean the Visa is finalized and approved right??? It seems unbelivable though...

I am heading to Adelaide for work - the company seems to be pretty organized and say they will assist me with

bank accounts, getting a vehicle, cellphone etc. but I am obviously still bit nervous about the whole process.

How much cash do i need to take? Some people say you need to take atleast $10k? Thats alot of tom to be carrying around!!

Also Im quite young so I dont have much of my own - a single bed,TV,xbox and study table in total - will it be better to just

buy new stuff that side? There is a shipping company that ships boxes of stuff so maybe just take smaller stuff? It sounds like

a better route than getting half a container??

Anyway thanks for the forum...I got a few great pointers on here!!

Hi

From what I've read on the forum, if you only have a little bit off stuff it might be better to buy that side. I'd suggest you get a quote for containers/boxes and then go 'internet shopping' to see what it would cost to buy new there.

Good luck

Hi Everyone

I was very suprised when I checked on the Ecom.immi site today to see that my 457 Visa have been approved

- it's hardly been two weeks!! I don't want to sound like a chop but if it says "Applicant approved"

(it also says visa status active and gives the period of validity)

it does mean the Visa is finalized and approved right??? It seems unbelivable though...

I am heading to Adelaide for work - the company seems to be pretty organized and say they will assist me with

bank accounts, getting a vehicle, cellphone etc. but I am obviously still bit nervous about the whole process.

How much cash do i need to take? Some people say you need to take atleast $10k? Thats alot of tom to be carrying around!!

Also Im quite young so I dont have much of my own - a single bed,TV,xbox and study table in total - will it be better to just

buy new stuff that side? There is a shipping company that ships boxes of stuff so maybe just take smaller stuff? It sounds like

a better route than getting half a container??

Anyway thanks for the forum...I got a few great pointers on here!!

Congrats Jaco, what a great adventure. Open the bank account from RSA and load some money on from there. Take a couple of hundred $ with you on the plane to last you till you go pick up your new cards at the bank. Buy furniture this side, check out Ikea.com.au. Send some smaller boxes with Seven Seas. Enjoy.

ANZ bank allows you to open an account from South Africa.

Welcome to Adelaide! You'll love it

Hi Jaco

Congratulation! We've landed here 13 February. Great that your company will help you with bank acc and car. Lot of red-tape this side. Open an Account over the Net in RSA. If you land in Adelaide you can go to any of that Bank. We've exchange our Rands on Sydney Airport. As long it's not over R50 000.

Good luck!

Jaco, if you don't have a lot of family heirlooms such as granny's ossewa from the Rinderpest then I would suggest you sell in SA and just bring sentimental stuff like photos.

There are so many places you can pick up cheap furniture and I bet if you ask on the forum there are plenty of kind people (even work colleagues) who will help out with loan stuff. Ozzies don't have maids to give their old TVs and fridges so there is always someone throwing out something.

Open an Oz bank account then take your money and do a foreign TT into the Oz account at your SA bank - it's way cheaper than buying notes. Keep a small amount of Ront for a coke and taxi fare etc when you get here. Then go to your Oz bank and present your passport and the account will be activated. (Act surprised when the firt person that you meet at the bank will actually be the person that can help you)

hey everyone - thanks for all the info!! :ilikeit: that clarifys things abit

haha wodwik - i actually have a few voorlaaiers - but apparentaly aus is gunfree :o

I appreciate the positivity - there seems to be a large contingent of SA migrants that seem to have issues with Aus especially in terms of the people - aussies.

Oppad you mean red tape in terms of buying a vehichle or banks?

cool bananas

Hey Jaco ! Geluk man ! Laat hoor van jou wanneer jy hier in Adelaide land.

Groete

Cristel

haha wodwik - i actually have a few voorlaaiers - but apparentaly aus is gunfree :o

Hi Jaco

Nie heeltemal nie.

Wat bedoel jy herman...mens kan sekerlik ni i vuurwapen besit soos hier in sa nie?

Archived