Section Head - Underground Mining

Happy in Brisbane

I am working for Anglo American Metallurgical Coal in Brisbane as Recruitment Coordinator responsible for Engineering & Maintenance roles and we are currently looking for a person who would be able to lead our underground development team at one of our mines based in Central Queensland (1.5 hours from Emerald). Ideally we are looking for someone who has a mining engineering qualification and been in a section head type of position in one of the underground coal mines around Mpumalanga. We will assist the successful candidate with relocation and a relevant working visa. More details on the role are listed below:

LW100 Project Lead (Development) – Capcoal Underground

Anglo American's Metallurgical Coal business is one of Australia's largest producers and exporters of metallurgical coal, with extensive coal mining interests in Queensland and New South Wales, as well as the Trend metallurgical coal mine in British Columbia, Canada. We are committed to creating value from coal safely and responsibly, growing our business through our attractive project pipeline and investing in the communities in which we operate. We strive to achieve gender diversity within our workforce, and women are strongly encouraged to apply for all vacant positions. As part of Anglo American, we are helping build the leading global mining company.

Our Metallurgical Coal business has set a target of lifting longwall performance to a sustained 100 hours per week through the Longwall 100 project. The project aims to increase production at our existing underground longwall operations at Moranbah North mine and Capcoal Underground's Grasstree mine, while setting the performance benchmark for our two underground metallurgical coal projects, Grosvenor and Moranbah South.

Reporting to the Longwall 100 Project Manager, the Project Lead (Development) will play an integral role to enable LW100 objectives. Responsibilities will include but not limited to:

identifying initiatives which will work toward achieving project goals,

analysing historical data to identify catalysts for past delays and ways to prevent repeat events,

running identification workshops to recognise potential risks,

documenting and reporting on initiatives and their outcomes, and

defining and monitoring project milestones as they progress through various stages between inception and completion.

This is a challenging position working within a dynamic area of our business, and will require an individual who:

proactively considers and researches the broader underground mining industry,

is focus on operational efficiencies,

has the ability to deliver results by setting clear direction and priories and gaining the support of others,

is a self starter, and

actively demonstrates team oriented behavior and effectively builds and fosters collaborative relationships with others.

To be successful in this role you will need exposure to a project based environment and underground Development experience, relevant trade qualifications or a degree / advanced diploma in Engineering or Maintenance Management is not essential by would be desired.

As well as a very competitive salary package, Anglo American offers exceptional training and development opportunities to all employees. This is a full time permanent staff role working a Monday to Friday roster and subsidised accommodation is available with this role.

Please PM me should you be interested in this role or know of someone that might be interested.

Regards

Happy in Brisbane

To anyone considering applying for this position, Anglo are a very good sponsor and the company is well regarded in terms of remuneration, lifestyle rosters and subsidised accommodation, as well as being a good employer. My hubby has been employed at Moranbah North as an electrician for almost four years ( we are originally from the Middelburg/Witbank region). The company is growing with the Grosvenor and Moranbah South projects coming online and Anglo is at a very exciting phase of development here in Australia.

• 8 months later...

Hi Happy in Brisbane

My husband is currently working on a coalmine in Mpumalanga as Electrical foreman. He is also a qualified electrician and have a diploma in Business Administration & Management.

He really wants to move to Australia for a saver & better future for his family.

Will there be jobs for him underground?

Kind regards

Ilona Myburgh

Ilona, things are a little tough at the moment and many mines are laying people off, mostly contractors but also permanent staff, so now is probably not the best time. Hopefully things will pick up in about a year. He could go on the Anglo and BMA websites and register his interest though.