Wewere Saps Employees For 15mins

zamunda

Question

My wife and I recently attended a friend's wedding and was returning to Randburg (around 1am)when we got stopped at a police check point. As the officer was checking my licence another vehicle approached the check point and was flagged to stop by another officer. However, the driver of this car did not stop and drove through the check point at speed.

A squad car (that was parked on the side) immediately started giving chase. To our horror the officer that was with us jumps on the back of our d/cab and tells us to chase as well. Fearing what their reaction would be if I refused we did as told. As we drove it was quite frightening to think that there was this cop standing at the back of our car, clad in bullet proof vest pointing a gun towards the front and here we were driving like mad with absolutely no protection at all.

Fortunately for us, after a short chase I could see in the distance the squad car had caught up with the offending car and pulled him over. As we approached the location the officer at the back jumped off and we got the hell out not waiting to find out what happened next.

As much as the officers were very nice towards us, this was so unprofessional. Very poor training.

South Africa is a beautiful country and has so much potential to be a great nation. But as long as they don't sort out the basics nothing much is going to happen.

6 answers to this question

Wow. I'm not sure what I would have done if I was in that situation... but that is pretty disgusting of them.

this is unbelievable, its like reading a horror storey or bad cop movie

only in south africa- they have no idea what they are doing

Heck, I keep wondering what would happen to any sane person refusing to obey the police officer. I mean, have the general public any rights to refuse to partake in a police chase ?

What a banana republic ... ! :thumbdown: (I actually wanted a "double thumbdown")

:rolleyes: That is funny, I think I would have loved it! Only in South Africa. :lol: Stuff like this makes me miss home even more.

For those not in Australia yet, I recall a number of news reports in Perth where the police actually broke off the pursuit of speeding vehicles because it was regarded as unsafe! never mind co-opting members of the public to give chase.

Archived