Refrigeration Technician - Seeking Sponsorship

The Movers

Hi all,

Hubby has been applying for various Refrigeration Technician positions in Perth with a couple of positive responses including telephone interviews. However the opportunity ends when he is asked about his visa or working rights status which he currently doesn't have. Seems that the sponsorship opportunites for his trade are slim even though he has 14 years working experience.

Has anyone gone over on a LSD to look for work and were you successful or is this too risky? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

The Movers

Hi There,

I dont know if this will help but my brother is an aircon and refrigiration technician and he was sponsored by a company in Sydney. He came over for an interview, got the job and a four year sponsorship on a 457 skilled migration visa.

The company he works for is called Haden, if sponsoring is done by their branch in Sydney maybe they will have a willing branch in Perth. Maybe have a look on www.seek.com.au or maybe google the company itself. Maybe dont restrict yourself to Perth only, go where the work is even if it is just temporary...

Hi There,

I dont know if this will help but my brother is an aircon and refrigiration technician and he was sponsored by a company in Sydney. He came over for an interview, got the job and a four year sponsorship on a 457 skilled migration visa.

The company he works for is called Haden, if sponsoring is done by their branch in Sydney maybe they will have a willing branch in Perth. Maybe have a look on www.seek.com.au or maybe google the company itself. Maybe dont restrict yourself to Perth only, go where the work is even if it is just temporary...

Hi Cherise,

Well done to your brother in securing the sponsorship. Haden sounds very familiar, I will research their company,thanks. "Seek" is the one website that we often access to apply for jobs. Seems that you need to be there or have a visa to secure a job which I understand yet it's frustrating. We have WA State Sponsorship hence the applications to Perth companies but we will now approach companies in the Regional areas as well.

Thanks for the motivation.

The Movers

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently in Australia on a 457 as a refrigeration mechanic. Has your husband gone to vetasses to get his skills assessed? If not, I would advise him doing that and then looking for sponsorship or even better PR. Most companies are not interested unless they are 100% sure you are going to get all the appropriate licences to work here. Good luck!

...Seems that you need to be there or have a visa to secure a job which I understand yet it's frustrating. We have WA State Sponsorship hence the applications to Perth companies but we will now approach companies in the Regional areas as well.

Thanks for the motivation.

The Movers

Um.... but if you have WA State Sponsorship, why are you looking for an employer sponsor? Have you lodged your 176 visa application? If so, then why don't you just wait for the visa to be granted before looking for work. This way you're applying for positions WITH working rights.

I am currently in Australia on a 457 as a refrigeration mechanic. Has your husband gone to vetasses to get his skills assessed? If not, I would advise him doing that and then looking for sponsorship or even better PR. Most companies are not interested unless they are 100% sure you are going to get all the appropriate licences to work here. Good luck!

Hi,

Hubby successfully completed his assessment with Vetassess in April last year, however we don't have enough points to lodge a WA SS176 Visa with DIAC. Therefore the search for a potential sponsor.

Thanks for your advice.

Um.... but if you have WA State Sponsorship, why are you looking for an employer sponsor? Have you lodged your 176 visa application? If so, then why don't you just wait for the visa to be granted before looking for work. This way you're applying for positions WITH working rights.

Hi,

That's exactly how we planned our process to gain PR, however hubby did not achieve 7 points in all bands (short of .5)therefore we can't lodge our WA 176SS visa with DIAC. WA is aware that he will re-write his IELTS again this month but has suggested that we convert to a 475 Provisional Visa. We are a bit reluctant as we won't qualify for Centrelink, Medicare etc but will go ahead with it as seems the best solution in our situation. Just not sure how to convert it.

Thank you for your reply.

Hi,

That's exactly how we planned our process to gain PR, however hubby did not achieve 7 points in all bands (short of .5)therefore we can't lodge our WA 176SS visa with DIAC. WA is aware that he will re-write his IELTS again this month but has suggested that we convert to a 475 Provisional Visa. We are a bit reluctant as we won't qualify for Centrelink, Medicare etc but will go ahead with it as seems the best solution in our situation. Just not sure how to convert it.

Thank you for your reply.

You wouldn't get Medicare or Centrelink benefits on a 457 sponsored visa either. How long before your hubby can re-write IELTS?

You wouldn't get Medicare or Centrelink benefits on a 457 sponsored visa either. How long before your hubby can re-write IELTS?

Hi,

He's writing at the end of this month as time is running out before the new changes takes effect on July.

HopefuLly he will score better.

Regards

Archived